TLV silk masks...

Amy

TLV silk masks...

Post by Amy » 3 years ago

The masks are beautiful. However according to CDC guidelines the masks for COVID should be 100% cotton and should be several layers with a sleeve for the filter. If this isn’t the case, if something has changed, please let me know. All the masks I’ve ordered have been 100% cotton with sleeve. Thanks everyone!
8 x

Harlequin

Re: TLV silk masks...

Post by Harlequin » 3 years ago

Amy, I do believe you are correct. They just showed a new study and showed all the masks that are worth a hoot. Like bandannas, the silk ones, And the one that goes around the neck and comes up over your nose and mouth, several others.(are not worth a Hoot)
6 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 3 years ago

Amy wrote:
3 years ago
The masks are beautiful. However according to CDC guidelines the masks for COVID should be 100% cotton and should be several layers with a sleeve for the filter. If this isn’t the case, if something has changed, please let me know. All the masks I’ve ordered have been 100% cotton with sleeve. Thanks everyone!
Researchers at Duke University compared 14 commonly available masks and face coverings to see which was most effective at stopping the spread of respiratory droplets. The best face coverings for preventing droplet spread were N95 masks without valves, they found, while fleece coverings and bandannas were shown to be "counterproductive. Neck fleece, or bandannas, “offer very little protection” and actually disperse large droplets into a multitude of smaller droplets."

LESSON: Be sure to social distance from people using bandannas or "fashion" masks made of material, especially single layer or made of material that will allow droplets to flow OUT. What happens if the large droplets that would normally be discharged without a mask - using a bandanna - the large droplets are pushed through turning them into smaller/micro droplets that will disperse as more of a mist that is more harmful and easier to inhale to other people through their own masks. SOCIAL DISTANCING is key.

“Considering that smaller particles are airborne longer than large droplets (larger droplets sink faster), the use of such a mask might be counterproductive,” the study authors wrote.

Cotton masks offer more protection, and surgical masks are even better at blocking droplets, researchers found.

Finally, *, non-valved N95 masks performed “far superior” to valved N95 masks because the exhalation valve opens for strong outward airflow, therefore putting those nearby at greater risk of exposure, researchers said.

I have an “acquaintance” who is now on a ventilator fighting for her life – before she was intubated she messaged that the medical staff at the hospital in Austin told her that “fashion masks” and bandannas don’t work at all!! Guess they knew what they were talking about as she posted this two weeks ago and this study from Duke University was released yesterday.

Although we have heard that having any mask is better than no mask - the KEY is to social distance from others who are wearing masks that are subpar. Other than N95's without valves, K95's without valves, wear something but social distance from all wearing something else and wash your hands.

University of Chicago and Argonne National Laboratory researchers suggests that a combination of masks made of high thread-count cotton with natural silk fabric or a chiffon weave can effectively filter out aerosol particles–if the fit is good. <<< again, speaking your own droplets while you speak will disperse into tinier droplets outward ---- however, it's more effective preventing inhalation of infected droplets. Again, social distance.

Also my dear friend Blossom brought to my attention that using Bleach (one tablespooon) to 4 cups of water - only lasts for 24 hours. I researched this on Clorox.com and indeed it's verified. So if you are making your own disinfecting wipes (I do), it's not effective past 24 hours.

Stay healthy my friends.

OSOTT

References and Notes
↵ V. Stadnytskyi, C. E. Bax, A. Bax, P. Anfinrud, The airborne lifetime of small speech droplets and their potential importance in SARS-CoV-2 transmission. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 117, 11875–11877 (2020). doi:10.1073/pnas.2006874117pmid:32404416Abstract/FREE Full TextGoogle Scholar
↵ P. Anfinrud, V. Stadnytskyi, C. E. Bax, A. Bax, Visualizing Speech-Generated Oral Fluid Droplets with Laser Light Scattering. N. Engl. J. Med. 382, 2061–2063 (2020). doi:10.1056/NEJMc2007800pmid:32294341CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
↵ N. L. Belkin, The evolution of the surgical mask: Filtering efficiency versus effectiveness. Infect. Control Hosp. Epidemiol. 18, 49–57 (1997). doi:10.2307/30141964pmid:9013247CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
↵ A. S. Dharmadhikari, M. Mphahlele, A. Stoltz, K. Venter, R. Mathebula, T. Masotla, W. Lubbe, M. Pagano, M. First, P. A. Jensen, M. van der Walt, E. A. Nardell, Surgical face masks worn by patients with multidrug-resistant tuberculosis: Impact on infectivity of air on a hospital ward. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 185, 1104–1109 (2012). doi:10.1164/rccm.201107-1190OCpmid:22323300CrossRefPubMedWeb of ScienceGoogle Scholar
↵“Advice on the use of masks in the context of COVID-19” (WHO Reference Number: WHO/2019-nCov/IPC_Masks/2020.4, World Health Organization, 2020).
↵ M. Klompas, C. A. Morris, J. Sinclair, M. Pearson, E. S. Shenoy, Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era. N. Engl. J. Med. 382, e63 (2020). doi:10.1056/NEJMp2006372pmid:32237672CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
↵ D. K. Chu, E. A. Akl, S. Duda, K. Solo, S. Yaacoub, H. J. Schünemann, COVID-19 Systematic Urgent Review Group Effort (SURGE) study authors, Physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet 395, 1973–1987 (2020). doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(20)31142-9pmid:32497510CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
↵ N. H. L. Leung, D. K. W. Chu, E. Y. C. Shiu, K.-H. Chan, J. J. McDevitt, B. J. P. Hau, H.-L. Yen, Y. Li, D. K. M. Ip, J. S. M. Peiris, W.-H. Seto, G. M. Leung, D. K. Milton, B. J. Cowling, Respiratory virus shedding in exhaled breath and efficacy of face masks. Nat. Med. 26, 676–680 (2020). doi:10.1038/s41591-020-0843-2pmid:32371934CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
↵ D. Bunyan, L. Ritchie, D. Jenkins, J. E. Coia, Respiratory and facial protection: A critical review of recent literature. J. Hosp. Infect. 85, 165–169 (2013). doi:10.1016/j.jhin.2013.07.011pmid:24035256CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
↵ J. J. Y. Ong, C. Bharatendu, Y. Goh, J. Z. Y. Tang, K. W. X. Sooi, Y. L. Tan, B. Y. Q. Tan, H.-L. Teoh, S. T. Ong, D. M. Allen, V. K. Sharma, Headaches Associated With Personal Protective Equipment - A Cross-Sectional Study Among Frontline Healthcare Workers During COVID-19. Headache 60, 864–877 (2020). doi:10.1111/head.13811pmid:32232837CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
↵ A. Konda, A. Prakash, G. A. Moss, M. Schmoldt, G. D. Grant, S. Guha, Aerosol Filtration Efficiency of Common Fabrics Used in Respiratory Cloth Masks. ACS Nano 14, 6339–6347 (2020). doi:10.1021/acsnano.0c03252pmid:32329337CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
↵ B. J. Sumlin, W. R. Heinson, R. K. Chakrabarty, Retrieving the aerosol complex refractive index using PyMieScatt: A Mie computational package with visualization capabilities. J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transf. 205, 127–134 (2018). doi:10.1016/j.jqsrt.2017.10.012CrossRefGoogle Scholar
↵G. Gouesbet, G. Gréhan, Generalized Lorenz-Mie Theories (Springer International Publishing, ed. 2nd, 2017).
↵L. Zhong, P. Konda, M. Harfouche, R. Horstmeyer, in Imaging and Applied Optics. (Optical Society of America, 2019).
↵ S. Asadi, A. S. Wexler, C. D. Cappa, S. Barreda, N. M. Bouvier, W. D. Ristenpart, Aerosol emission and superemission during human speech increase with voice loudness. Sci. Rep. 9, 2348 (2019). doi:10.1038/s41598-019-38808-zpmid:30787335CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
↵ S. Asadi, A. S. Wexler, C. D. Cappa, S. Barreda, N. M. Bouvier, W. D. Ristenpart, Effect of voicing and articulation manner on aerosol particle emission during human speech. PLOS ONE 15, e0227699 (2020). doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0227699pmid:31986165
The first author on the study was Abhiteja Konda with Argonne National Laboratory. The other authors were Argonne’s Abhinav Prakash as well as Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering graduate student Gregory Grant. The team used the U.S. Department of Energy’s Center for Nanoscale Materials user facility at Argonne National Laboratory.
Citation: “Aerosol Filtration Efficiency of Common Fabrics Used in Respiratory Cloth Masks.” Konda et al, ACS Nano, April 24, 2020.
12 x

scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo » 3 years ago

I read the research yesterday that you quoted from Duke, @OtherSideOfTheTracks, and I believe that was the same article that said wearing ineffective masks can actually exacerbate the situation --- because not only do they not contain the spread of droplets, they give wearers a false sense of security.

I wish retailers would stick with the basics, follow the science, and only offer what will help contain this vicious new bug.
Last edited by scoobydoo 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
8 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 3 years ago

scoobydoo wrote:
3 years ago
I read the research yesterday that you quoted from Duke, @OtherSideOfTheTracks, and I believe that was the same article that said wearing ineffective masks can actually exacerbate the situation --- because not only do they not contain the spread of droplets, they give wearers a false sense of security.

I wish retailers would stick with the basics, follow the science, and only offer what will help contain this vicisous new bug.
Yep, "exacerbate" is the perfect word to explain that these bandannas and other fashion masks are not protecting as you may think as you can still inhale tiny droplets. Wearing one (bananna/fashion masks) when you speak will makes the larger droplets that come out of our mouths smaller droplets (larger droplets fall) then it is breathed in by the other person wearing the subpar fashion masks. It's a mess and yes sticking with N95 and K95 is far superior. SLC sells them.
10 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 3 years ago

Thank you for the post, OtherSideOfTheTracks. Take care.
11 x

D-Flawless

Post by D-Flawless » 3 years ago

Amy wrote:
3 years ago
Never fear....the silk masks come with a filter you put inside so they ARE effective!! I just received mine today and it’s beautiful, soft and comfy! Comes with a package of 7 filters too! I highly recommend this mask! I bought the blush and it’s barely noticeable! BEST MASK EVER!!
6 x

Yiayia11

Post by Yiayia11 » 3 years ago

I have several of those so called Harem masks, plus the N95’s you talk about.. all you have to do Is put a filter between the mask & your face.. it fits right inside of the part that goes in front of your mouth & nose.. I’ve had no problem with mine, and it protects you the same as a cloth one.
5 x

RoxiJade

Post by RoxiJade » 3 years ago

I wear the KN95, then I place the softer harem mask over it so it will hold my glasses up. I feel the KN95 is the best for my protection, especially since I adjust the metal strip properly to my nose. The down side is that my glasses slip right off! So my order is: KN95, put glass on, place soft light mask on to brace glasses. Crazy times, we do what we need to do!
4 x