Education

Tothemoon

Re: Education

Post by Tothemoon » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Tothemoon wrote:
4 years ago
What is great is when I go to a jewelry store or a jewelry vendor at a street fair or somewhere and because of everything I have learned from Shop LC I rarely receive pushy sales tactics because the seller thinks i know a lot about gemstones! Now if only I can learn as much about automobiles before the next time I have to purchase a new car!
But you can! Study! I research almost every new thing I buy ad nauseam. It takes me three months to buy a robo vac, or a pressure cooker, etc. 🤪
RS: I, like you, research everything I buy too, comparing prices, reviews, etc. My family teases me that unless it’s at least a real 90% off I won’t buy it. And was formerly a coupon fanatic. It’s not that I’m cheap but that I live for the thrill of the deal. It’s my favorite pastime. So like you I never rush to buy anything unless it’s a deal that’s too good to pass. But about cars, I review prices, resale values, reviews, etc. but when it comes to the mechanics of the car - and even though I’ve had mechanics and engineers in the family, I just don’t take enough interest in it to learn enough and know if I’m buying the right car.
6 x

Topic Tags:

Moderator_Stephanie

Post by Moderator_Stephanie » 4 years ago

Tothemoon wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
Tothemoon wrote:
4 years ago
What is great is when I go to a jewelry store or a jewelry vendor at a street fair or somewhere and because of everything I have learned from Shop LC I rarely receive pushy sales tactics because the seller thinks i know a lot about gemstones! Now if only I can learn as much about automobiles before the next time I have to purchase a new car!
But you can! Study! I research almost every new thing I buy ad nauseam. It takes me three months to buy a robo vac, or a pressure cooker, etc. 🤪
RS: I, like you, research everything I buy too, comparing prices, reviews, etc. My family teases me that unless it’s at least a real 90% off I won’t buy it. And was formerly a coupon fanatic. It’s not that I’m cheap but that I live for the thrill of the deal. It’s my favorite pastime. So like you I never rush to buy anything unless it’s a deal that’s too good to pass. But about cars, I review prices, resale values, reviews, etc. but when it comes to the mechanics of the car - and even though I’ve had mechanics and engineers in the family, I just don’t take enough interest in it to learn enough and know if I’m buying the right car.
That's why I've always taken someone who knows cars with me when I've needed to purchase one!
3 x

Moderator_Stephanie

Post by Moderator_Stephanie » 4 years ago

For additional education resources, be sure to check the following:
Education Center: https://www.shoplc.com/education/education-home
Shop LC YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ShopLCTV
Shop LC Blog: https://blog.shoplc.com/
1 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

Margui wrote:
4 years ago
The radiation on gems like Eudialyte is mild and on Charoite is Barely Dectetable according to a gem site. What ShopLC says about this? Are they safe to wear? Thank you.
Yes Margui you are correct. Another gem that
we need information on is malachite. It is toxic
to humans. SLC never says whether this Stone
has been coated w acrylic or is maybe a triplet
to protect the wearer. These issues need to
be addressed promptly
Last edited by Spooky 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Moderator_Preston
Answers: 1

Post by Moderator_Preston » 4 years ago

Malachite is safe for normal handling and wear. However, the dust generated during the cutting and polishing process can be toxic, due to high levels of copper. This poses a risk to artisans who work with rough material to create finished gemstones.

For those practicing gem therapy it is not recommended to create elixirs with malachite or place the stone in the mouth. And before beginning any new healthcare routine, it is always suggested to consult your primary healthcare provider.

In regard to irradiation in gemstones, the Nuclear Regulation Commission (NRC) set guidelines for allowable radioactivity in gemstones. These stones are below levels that could pose a risk to health.

Per the NRC, “The NRC has no reason to believe that wearing irradiated gemstones can be harmful. There have been no reported cases of anyone being harmed by wearing them.”

Reference: https://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-coll ... tones.html

Thank you all so much for being a part of the Shop LC family!
4 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Spooky wrote:
4 years ago
Margui wrote:
4 years ago
The radiation on gems like Eudialyte is mild and on Charoite is Barely Dectetable according to a gem site. What ShopLC says about this? Are they safe to wear? Thank you.
we need information in is malachite. It is toxic
be addressed promptly
Really? I have malachite set on earrings and pendant and a jewelry trinket box made of it
2 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Spooky wrote:
4 years ago
Margui wrote:
4 years ago
we need information on is malachite. It is toxic
be addressed promptly
And Bumble Bee Jasper contains arsnic but I hope no one is sucking on or swallowing their gems or jewelry! All gems are made up of minerals and they can be toxic if consumed Im sure.
1 x

Jana

Post by Jana » 4 years ago

Stevie, I agree with you. I'm an amateur gemologist--emphasis on the amateur here, but I really think more education could be included in the jewelry shows. Something I REALLY would be mentioned more often is the hardness or softness of a gemstone. My Mom loves turquoise which is very soft. If I hadn't told her to take extra care with her rings and bracelets, she wouldn't have known. (Pendants of course are not a problem). I've followed Cheryl Ells since she was on JTV, we are friends on FB. Next time I chat with her, I will pass our request along. I'm new tho this forum, and I think I am going to like it a lot! Jana
2 x