Rainbow Moonstone...??

Blossom

Rainbow Moonstone...??

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

Today, I decided to wear a nice size solitaire rainbow moonstone ring. I haven't worn it in maybe a year. To me it seems the body has yellowed & really don't think it looked that way before. Do moonstones yellow or was I blind the other times I wore it?
2 x

Gemaholic

Re: Rainbow Moonstone...??

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

So funny you posted this. I bought a moonstone years ago from SLC and I haven’t been able to get the yellow gone. The more I clean it I noticed a coating is present because it’s all uneven now. I’m guessing their rainbow moonstone is coated so it’s not completely genuine
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
Today, I decided to wear a nice size solitaire rainbow moonstone ring. I haven't worn it in maybe a year. To me it seems the body has yellowed & really don't think it looked that way before. Do moonstones yellow or was I blind the other times I wore it?
I have a few pieces with moonstone. One is a very large center stone surrounded with different gemstones. People compliment that ring all the time. I wear it from time to time and have had it for about a year. It has not yellowed...yet. Neither have my other pieces with moonstone.
I gave my daughter some as well,I will ask her today to check hers.

Sounds odd. Are they like opals?
3 x

Blossom

Gemaholic wrote:
4 years ago
So funny you posted this. I bought a moonstone years ago from SLC and I haven’t been able to get the yellow gone. The more I clean it I noticed a coating is present because it’s all uneven now. I’m guessing their rainbow moonstone is coated so it’s not completely genuine
I went online & found nothing about the yellowing, every site I looked at said no they don't yellow.

How have you cleaned yours?
1 x

Blossom

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
I have a few pieces with moonstone. One is a very large center stone surrounded with different gemstones. People compliment that ring all the time. I wear it from time to time and have had it for about a year. It has not yellowed...yet. Neither have my other pieces with moonstone.

I was wondering if they were like opals too. I have a welo opal that yellowed. I know their different gems but still...?
3 x

Gemaholic

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago

I was wondering if they were like opals too. I have a welo opal that yellowed. I know their different gems but still...?
They are not like opals since moonstones are in the feldspar family. They shouldn’t yellow unless they are fake or coated
3 x

Moderator_Chris_R

Post by Moderator_Chris_R » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
Moonstone is not known to yellow or turn color over time. As suggested by others in the thread, cleaning might help improve the appearance of the stone.

Moonstone gems do not undergo any additional treatments.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you for shopping with Shop LC.
1 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

I have moonstones, and one them is faceted but the clarity is not that good. It's a white moonstone. I will change those stones. I have other one I bought years ago and it didn't turn yellow.
0 x