Put clarity, translucent or opaque in each gemstone info

Margui

Put clarity, translucent or opaque in each gemstone info

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

I would like to see clarity grades on the gems diamonds and color gems. Like Internally flawless, VVS, VS, SI and SI2. Don't carry stones I, I2 or i3 these are the lowest grades. Then translucent or opaque. Gemselect do this on each gem they sell. If ShopLC could do the same that would be great.
Last edited by Margui 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Re: Put clarity, transparent or opaque in each gemstone info

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

Plus they should reveal if the stones are enhanced. When diamonds are enhanced it changes a K color to a f-g color. A i3 clarity changes to a SI or better. I find that shoplc diamonds are usually clarity of i2-i3. But,they are much cheaper then the G VS. Diamond prices are closely controlled by the diamond industry, so to get it cheap, either the seller makes very little profit, or if ones family is giving it at cost price. So, if I get a real good price, I expect a low clarity. If the stones are tiny, its still passable, but Im aware it has little value.
Even the graded stones are questionable if its not GIA.
I bought from shoplc, 2 rings, .75 ct each, for $1500, to turn into studs. Each had a lab cert with the grade of G SI1. My jeweler graded it as J i2. Back they went.
Same with the Grandidierite. The ones shoplc sells are opaque. One day they sold a 3ct Grandidierite that was translucent and charged $20,000. That stone was like the stones shoplc compares to what other sellers charge. Those translucent stones are the ones that cost in the thousands a carat. Im sure the opaque one have some value for being rare, so if people like owning rare stones, then thats the value.
I myself bought Grandidierite earrings from Shoplc. I was aware the only value it had besides being earrings I liked, was that its a rare stone.
3 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

Vicky wrote:
4 years ago
Plus they should reveal if the stones are enhanced. When diamonds are enhanced it changes a K color to a f-g color. A i3 clarity changes to a SI or better. I find that shoplc diamonds are usually clarity of i2-i3. But,they are much cheaper then the G VS. Diamond prices are closely controlled by the diamond industry, so to get it cheap, either the seller makes very little profit, or if ones family is giving it at cost price. So, if I get a real good price, I expect a low clarity. If the stones are tiny, its still passable, but Im aware it has little value.
I bought from shoplc, 2 rings, .75 ct each, for $1500, to turn into studs. Each had a lab cert with the grade of G SI1. My jeweler graded it as J i2. Back they went.
Same with the Grandidierite. The ones shoplc sells are opaque. One day they sold a 3ct Grandidierite that was translucent and charged $20,000. That stone was like the stones shoplc compares to what other sellers charge. Those translucent stones are the ones that cost in the thousands a carat. Im sure the opaque one have some value for being rare, so if people like owning rare stones, then thats the value.
I myself bought Grandidierite earrings from Shoplc. I was aware the only value it had besides being earrings I liked, was that its a rare stone.
Agree! I also would like them to use white topaz
or natural zircon if the diamonds they use
look like road gravel
2 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

I also would much rather have zircon than low grade diamonds on items, there have been many times that I loved the item but it had diamonds and you could see they were grey in color when shown so I did not buy the item, I will not wear poor quality diamonds I would rather not have any then have bad ones that make the item look cheap. Shop lc host always play up the diamond items even the ones with just a chip to get people to buy the product.
2 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

I have two grandidierite rings, earrings and a cross pendant purchased from ShopLC - they are all translucent as light can be seen through them. The transparent stones do command premium prices.
2 x

Blossom

Re: Put clarity, translucent or opaque in each gemstone info

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

I once tried to re-sell 3 diamond bands (white, yellow & blue) to a pawn shop of all places. I don't remember what I paid or the total carat weight but they were not inexpensive (from SLC). The guy put a diamond tester on them...yes they were, asked if I had any paperwork on them...no, then said he wasn't interested! He was evidently not impressed!
1 x

TerryTalk

Post by TerryTalk » 4 years ago

I also would much rather have white zircons than diamonds that are milky and/or cloudy. Years ago you used to get white sapphires in the place of diamonds—very rarely these days. I really don’t buy diamonds from tv and I am not impressed by the grandidierite I have seen on any of the shopping channels—-other than the comparison photos of the $20,000 —- $100, 000 transparent gemstones shown. I have two pieces purchased elsewhere and I doubt I will buy more because what I would like in quality of the gemstone I cannot afford 😩 I just don’t really like the more opaque-looking grandidierite and I think most of it imo is not very valuable at all.
2 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Vicky wrote:
4 years ago

I think ShopLC should work with GIA. QVC does it.
2 x

Moderator_Stephanie

Post by Moderator_Stephanie » 4 years ago

Thank you for everyone's feedback, it has been forwarded to our Innovations team!
1 x

Moderator_Stephanie

Post by Moderator_Stephanie » 4 years ago

Whenever graded products are available for sale, the grading will be included in the description of the product, such as IGI Certified gemstones. In Rhapsody and Iliana jewelry products, accent diamonds will be E to F in Color and VS1 to VS2 in Clarity. We will see how we can better include this information, when it is available.
0 x