RESELLING RARE GEM STONES

Gypsy

Re: RESELLING RARE GEM STONES

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

If that was what they mean.....that is what they should say. I try to give all sides a chance to explain before I decide on things but this, just seems so really wrong and deceitful. The host say things like...6 grams of silver that's worth at least $60 to $90 and you are only paying.......blah,blah,blah. That doesn't seem right🤔😟
3 x

Topic Tags:

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

Gypsy I totally agree w/you. Hope I never have to re-sell my jewelry to eat...I'd starve!
4 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

No kidding !!!!!! I'm not going to say I dont love the pieces that I have because I do and my daughter-in-law and future grandchildren are going to have alot of fun going thru all my jewelry. But I want the hosts to be upfront about the actual value.
3 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago
If that was what they mean.....that is what they should say. I try to give all sides a chance to explain before I decide on things but this, just seems so really wrong and deceitful. The host say things like...6 grams of silver that's worth at least $60 to $90 and you are only paying.......blah,blah,blah.
That doesn't seem right

🤔😟
Because it ISN'T right.

It is called: "Deceitful". As in...

"Outright LYING".

It is also called:

"Fraudulent Business Practices".

And they know it.

So do their employees.

I feel badly for the employees having to work out all kinds of problems every single day because of the company's untruthful business practices.

😠
4 x

Moderator_Stephanie

Post by Moderator_Stephanie » 4 years ago

Good afternoon,

Thank you for everyone's feedback regarding the silver prices that are stated by hosts on air. We have forwarded this feedback to all corresponding departments to bring their attention to this information.
3 x

colljoe

Post by colljoe » 4 years ago

Suggestion: If you buy a fine piece, have it appraised. Now you know the real worth and have your appraisal to show if needed to sell. A fine piece is not going to lose value. Going to a pawn shop is the worst thing you can do. You are not going to find out the real value from them. Also check and see what others (Esty, Ebay, etc) are selling it for, as close to yours as possible. And give that a try. You never know. Also, you can go to the rock and gem shows and see if anyone is interested in buying. They know the value of stones more than most. You won't get the exact appraisal value, because obviously they are going to resell for a profit, but "make a deal"...some profit in your pocket is better than none. That's what the jewelry business is all about.
In saying that Shop LC is still your best bet for fine jewelry at a very low price. I used to shop the other beginning with J and ending with TV. Very few and far between anymore of getting a real bargain from them. They are high, you may as well go to a jewelry store. And I hear they buy from Shop LC. As far as pricing sterling silver, which is 92.5% by weight, either by ounce or gram, x current market value, or melt value. Other 7.5% is usually copper. Unless the piece is pure silver (99.9%) which is worth more.
2 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

colljoe wrote:
4 years ago
Suggestion: If you buy a fine piece, have it appraised. Now you know the real worth and have your appraisal to show if needed to sell. A fine piece is not going to lose value. Going to a pawn shop is the worst thing you can do. You are not going to find out the real value from them. Also check and see what others (Esty, Ebay, etc) are selling it for, as close to yours as possible. And give that a try. You never know. Also, you can go to the rock and gem shows and see if anyone is interested in buying. They know the value of stones more than most. You won't get the exact appraisal value, because obviously they are going to resell for a profit, but "make a deal"...some profit in your pocket is better than none. That's what the jewelry business is all about.
In saying that Shop LC is still your best bet for fine jewelry at a very low price. I used to shop the other beginning with J and ending with TV. Very few and far between anymore of getting a real bargain from them. They are high, you may as well go to a jewelry store. And I hear they buy from Shop LC. As far as pricing sterling silver, which is 92.5% by weight, either by ounce or gram, x current market value, or melt value. Other 7.5% is usually copper. Unless the piece is pure silver (99.9%) which is worth more.
The only way you’re going to make money is if
you buy from the miner. Even if you try the gem
shows you don’t know that you’re getting what
they ‘sold’ you. Too many synthetics and fakes
on the market. Buying jewelry with the thought
of re-selling only works if you’re Sotheby’s.
Jewelers won’t buy your items because they
aren’t going to waste money on testing the metal
or the gem. If you sell just for the gold you can make
money but only if you hang onto it til gold goes
sky high again. The whole tanzanite thing is a
scam. I’ve been reading up on tanzanite on various
gemology websites (lots of them) and they say
even GIA (top resource for testing gems) graduate
gemologists are fooled. My point is that you never
know what you’re getting. I’ve got tons of gems
that won’t make me 10% of what I paid for them.
You can sell them through a broker but you have to
also pay that broker. You can sell on ebay, etsy,
facebook, etc but you get killed with fees every-
where you turn. Buy jewelry because you love the
piece (fantastic stone color/cut, great design and craftsmanship). If you want to invest buy gold and
other precious metals and hang onto them til the
market is in your favor. My 2 cents
Last edited by Spooky 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

Tammy

Post by Tammy » 4 years ago

I have resold my Deposid on offer up and tripled my money pawn shops will not give you anything . Tanzanite it depends on the color I have graded AA. Sold a couple but have saved what I have left grandidierite is so ware many do not know ehat it is have a few had it appraised and it was worth more then I payed . I also have spinell in red blue and pink had appraised. And It's also worth more then I payed but my best investment was loose sleeping beauty I bought 3 years ago it is worth 10 times of what Ivpayed no I won't get rich but it is something to leave my Daughter Russion Deposid will be worth more in years to come . My sleeping has gone up every year since I bought it .Love buying the Gems that are not mined but also ones I just like. I also have Moroccan amethyst which has increased in value since I bought it they ran out it is not out there much but I love mine Tammy
1 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

But do you have a buyer?
1 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

My jeweler says that Most gems I bought from Shoplc are enhanced,and or fissure filled. He feels if I enjoy wearing them, thats fine, as long as I am careful with these fragile stones. Im told They have no collectable or resale value. Thats ok. I just wish shoplc hosts would be truthful about these stones. At least if I knew previously how fragile glass filled stones were, I would treat them like I treat my glassware. I didn’t know it was glass filled and it exploded in my ultrasonic cleaner.
So, when shoplc does have a valuable gem they ask alot for them, like the beautiful transparent 3 ct Grandidierite they sold for $20,000. The Grandidierite they sell for a few hundred are occluded and opaque. The hosts say they are translucent, but when you see them in person, without special lighting, they are opaque.
But, I buy mostly to give as gifts to my large family, lots of teenagers. I get a great price, and the kids really dont care if they are valuable, just how they look. I just dont believe a thing most of the hosts say about the jewelry. I realize they
just are interested in selling.
3 x