RESELLING RARE GEM STONES

Chris

RESELLING RARE GEM STONES

Post by Chris » 4 years ago

Per our Community Guidlines: Please do not post in all caps. Post has been edited to remove all caps, spelling and grammar left as is.

I purchase a 3 CTW Tanzanite and Diamond ring that starting price was 12000.00. I went to seven jewelers and not 1 showed any interest in purchasing this rare Tanzanite ring. They all said the buy their own and do not buy gem stone jewlery. I also bought Russian Diopside pieces which again they had no interest in. The way these are portrayed is completely false. Jewelers have no interest in purchasing these stones so where do you sell this jewlery? Now Ive spent money on pieces that are not at all in demand. Please provide any suggestions and ways when reselling !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Chris
7 x

Topic Tags:

Lulu

Re: RESELLING RARE GEM STONES

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

Ebay, Etsy etc. Leo Hamel in California buys estate pieces.

Let this be a lesson - never buy jewelry as an investment. Only buy it if you love/like it and will wear it. Hosts who say they will buy and squirrel it away (Cheryl and grandidierite) have connections in the biz.
14 x

LisaC2019

Post by LisaC2019 » 4 years ago

Chris wrote: ↑
4 years ago
Per our Community Guidelines: Please do not post in all caps. Post has been edited to remove all caps, spelling and grammar left as is.

I purchase a 3 CTW Tanzanite and Diamond ring that starting price was 12000.00. I went to seven jewelers and not 1 showed any interest in purchasing this rare Tanzanite ring. They all said the buy their own and do not buy gem stone jewelry. I also bought Russian Diopside pieces which again they had no interest in. The way these are portrayed is completely false. Jewelers have no interest in purchasing these stones so where do you sell this jewelry? Now I've spent money on pieces that are not at all in demand. Please provide any suggestions and ways when reselling !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Chris
I was tempted to purchase several Sleeping Beauty pieces that had a high dollar value and realized that those items are only valuable/collectible if someone else wants them. I don't fall for the buy at this low price and you can take it and resale it later for a higher amount. This may be true in some cases if the person just wants to collect and is willing to buy. You may be able to resell on Ebay or another site and make a profit. I wish you the best as you find a place to resell.

Sometimes I also ask myself why would a jeweler want to buy a ring from me and take the chance of reselling for a higher amount when that same item can be purchased on the web for a lower price. I do realize that pieces that are over 15 to 20 years may have a great deal of value but it seems as if those collectors are now attempting to off load them to unsuspecting buyers now. JMO
3 x

Hollie

Post by Hollie » 4 years ago

Lulu wrote: ↑
4 years ago
Ebay, Etsy etc. Leo Hamel in California buys estate pieces.

Let this be a lesson - never buy jewelry as an investment. Only buy it if you love/like it and will wear it. Hosts who say they will buy and squirrel it away (Cheryl and grandidierite) have connections in the biz.
Does your town have craft fairs or gatherings where people have stalls? You can sell there.
2 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

I went to two different pawn shops...they don't buy gemstones, wouldn't buy diamond rings & offered me 60 cents for a sterling silver ring! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
4 x

honey

Post by honey » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote: ↑
4 years ago
I went to two different pawn shops...they don't buy gemstones, wouldn't buy diamond rings & offered me 60 cents for a sterling silver ring! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
hi ya, just if it was a slc sterling silver ring that you were offered
.60 for........somebody's making a killing!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
3 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

Sterling silver closed on the commodities market last Friday at $16.78/troy ounce. That comes to around 54 cents/gram. Of course, a pawn broker isn't going to offer much because it isn't worth much.
2 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

I know there is a bit of difference between coin silver and jewelry silver (copper content) but my question is......why is it allowed for the hosts to say that the price of sterling silver is $10 to $15 per gram, I've even heard $20 per gram. Are they in a special silver club ? There must be a reason because $00.56 is alot different than even $10 per gram. What are we missing ?????
4 x

Blossom

honey wrote: ↑
4 years ago
Blossom wrote: ↑
4 years ago
hi ya, just if it was a slc sterling silver ring that you were offered
.60 for........somebody's making a killing!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And it wasn't me!!πŸ˜‚
2 x

Blossom

Gypsy wrote: ↑
4 years ago
I know there is a bit of difference between coin silver and jewelry silver (copper content) but my question is......why is it allowed for the hosts to say that the price of sterling silver is $10 to $15 per gram, I've even heard $20 per gram. Are they in a special silver club ? There must be a reason because $00.56 is alot different than even $10 per gram. What are we missing ?????
Girlfriend that was exactly what had me fooled too! I finally decided (all by myself cuz I'm so smart...not!)..maybe they 'meant' ex: you buy a sterling silver ring $20. which weighs 2grams...you're paying $10 gram...not that it's worth $10 per gram.

Anyway right or wrong that's how I rationalized the misleading things hosts sometimes say. I take everything they say now with 'the proverbial grain of salt'. Shame on them!
6 x