One for one

JewelryQueen

Re: One for one

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

@TXgal

I've posted this before but you have probably not seen it. According the figures published by the Indian Government 2 yrs ago-- almost 1/2 the country- (47.9% to be exact or 687 million 765 thousand people) live on $1,080 US dollars OR LESS a year. For the average family of 4 this is $3 a day OR LESS for the whole family. This needs to cover food, clothing and shelter at the minimum. IF they go naked and live out of doors this works out to 25 cents Or LESS per meal per person. As breakfast is usually the lightest meal of the day, you can bet your biffy 10 cents buys a bowel of gruel and a glass of soy milk in that country. While this might not sound like much to you and me, if you are on the brink of starvation it could mean a lot!

All that being said, I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT EVERY TWO MINUTES! And no, it won't buy any kind of meal in the US. I personally think they added the US so we will think something is being done for kids in this country.

OK, everyone can start differing with my opinion now.

PS And for the record all companies, and most individuals for that matter, take tax deductions for their eligible charitable donations.
6 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

@JewelryQueen I am sure 10 cents goes a long way in India. But a hot meal ?? Certainly not in USA. I applaud anyone giving charity. All companies do. They use charitable deductions to lower their tax bills.
The difference here is that shoplc exploits the hungry kids to benefit themselves. They have all the hosts mention it constantly. They turn us off when they start with their “sermon”. It should turn off the average viewer, because hearing about the world's issues, is depressing, so who wants to buy jewelry when they are told kids are hungry.
Notice their videos. All kids are well dressed, not underweight. Since shoplc doesnt claim to donate clothes, these kids are well taken care of by their families. I doubt a parent would spend on nice clothes, but let their kid go hungry.
2 x

JewelryQueen

You really think those are their clothes? Ho Ho HO HO HO HO!!!! You can bet those clothes are whipped of them the second the camera goes off. IF those are even the kids that are being fed. They are probably "extras". I would almost bet those kids are from the other half of the population that can afford to go to school and wear uniforms. They are all dressed very similarly, no?

Indians have figured out a while ago that mutilating and disfiguring their kids to have them make more money begging, doesn't work with most Americans. (Yes, it used to be an all too common practice to cut off a hand or foot--- as the parents figured out the children can live without a hand, but not without food). It seems ugliness and desperation tends to upset our delicate sensibilities. We might get depressed.

PS Vicky, I want you to know I like you a lot and we agree on many things. Friends can disagree about some things...yes?
Last edited by JewelryQueen 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
You really think those are their clothes? Ho Ho HO HO HO HO!!!! You can bet those clothes are whipped of them the second the camera goes off. Those are probably not even the kids that are being fed. They are probably "extras".

Indians have figured out a while ago that mutilating and disfiguring their kids to have them make more money begging, doesn't work with most Americans. (Yes it used to be an all too common practice to cut off a hand or foot--- as the parents figured out the children can live without a hand, but not without food). It seems ugliness and desperation tends to upset our delicate sensibilities. We might get depressed.
I thought they were wearing school uniforms and that the meals were provided at school . I agree I don't like the constant bombardment of hungry kids and I do think that SLC is stating thier "donations" in the wrong way. Should say. "....towards a hot meal" as has been stated previously. And I dont understand the website claim about the -Up to $150,000 donations during certain time frame. Is this current info ?
2 x

JewelryQueen

Dearest Gypsy,

I realize this is hard to wrap your head around, but the kids that really need this food don't go to school. School is not free and neither are the uniforms. Do you really think a family living on $3 a day afford that? To the kids that need this help, a bowl of hot oatmeal IS a hot meal. Probably the only hot meal they will get all day.

And the numbers of people in this situation is staggering. TWICE the population of the ENTIRE United States live in India on $3 a day OR LESS for a family of four.

We Americans do not know how truly blessed we are. Yes we have poverty here, but not the ALL PERVASIVE- BONE CRUSHING poverty that section of the world has.

OK. Off the soapbox now. I've said my piece.
3 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
Dearest Gypsy,

I realize this is hard to wrap your head around, but the kids that really need this food don't go to school. School is not free and neither are the uniforms. Do you really think a family living on $3 a day afford that? To the kids that need this help, a bowl of hot oatmeal IS a hot meal. Probably the only hot meal they will get all day.

And the numbers of people in this situation is staggering. TWICE the population of the ENTIRE United States live in India on $3 a day OR LESS for a family of four.

We Americans do not know how truly blessed we are. Yes we have poverty here, but not the ALL PERVASIVE- BONE CRUSHING poverty that section of the world has.

OK. Off the soapbox now. I've said my piece.
I'm sure you are correct and you are right it is hard for me to accept even when my mind knows that children are being used by adults. 🥺
2 x

CC

Post by CC » 4 years ago

We can debate this from here to eternity, however, in my personal opinion, we are not going to change their business model. This has been going on for a few years now and it has not, is not (in my personal opinion), going to change no matter how much we complain about them continuously addressing this issue to us. My opinion only.
2 x

Mina

Post by Mina » 4 years ago

Why isn't this forum used to HELP instead of bashing each other... WE AREN'T THE PROBLEM but can be a part of the solution. Donate ideas. Start a charity of your own. My Mom always said IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING NICE IT HELPFUL DON'T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL! . YOU ALL SOUND WELL ROUNDED .. INTELLIGENT. MANY FORMALLY EDUCATED. THERE MUST BE A BETTER WAY TO OFFER UP YOUR BRILLIANCE. Clearly there's talent here.. Not being put to really GOOD use. M..
THANKS FOR ALLOWING ME TO SHARE. IN LIGHT OF THIS DREADED VIRUS..I WOULD THINK THERE WOULD BE BRAIN STORMING UP THE WAZOO.. SHARING IDEAS.. INFO LIFE IS SHORTER THAN YOU THINK NOW. NY CHARGING 817% HIGHER THAN NORMAL PRICES!!!!! MAYBE THE BEGINNING???
MAYBE THIS MIGHT BE MORE IMPORTANT RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM I THOUGHT.. BUT PLEASE ENJOY. JUST MY SUGGESTION AND NOT MEANT TO OFFEND ANYONE I'M CONCERNED. VERY MUCH SO. BLESSINGS TO ALL OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES...M :|
1 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

To all my lady friends on this forum- HAPPY WOMANS DAY
@JewelryQueen
I dont disagree with you at all JQ
I know that severe poverty exists in many countries.
We volunteered as a medical unit to try and help there.
They do have kids begging in the streets, some barefoot.
Any help any organization donates is helpful.
My complaint is that shoplc is using these kids to try and increase sales. Maybe the clothes dont belong to the kids. But the bodies do. So unless they hire actors, these kids look well fed. Besides, shoplc claims to donate hot meals in America. 10 cents is far from enough for a hot meal. Shoplc should Just donate, and not brag, after all they get to deduct it in charitable tax deductions.
I myself have been bought up to donate 10% of my income to charity. There are many charities who claim close to 90% operating expenses ( like the Clinton organization) so I give to organizations who give most of my money to the needy. I donate mostly to local food banks who rely on volunteers, so most go to the needy. I myself have volunteered there. A few cancer centers. I sometimes volunteer to give free shots, or other needed procedures to the homebound.
Hard to believe, but there are very poor living in America. The govt only helps so much. Not compared to third world countries, but still really sad.
The problem lies in that alot of people, especially with alot of kids, realize that they get more money by getting welfare, section 8, food stamps and medicaid, then if they went to work. Some husbands leave so the family becomes eligible. This is where the Govt has to concentrate their efforts. If they rewarded these people for working, it would lift alot out of
poverty. Keep the dads at home.
Anyway, its easy for me to tell the Govt what to do. Its a humongous problem. Not easy to root out the ones that abuse the system. Too risky that if they are wrong, the kids would go hungry.
I think after this sermon, I need some more ☕️☕️
Love to all❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
3 x