Computer Whiz Anyone?

anniebelle

Computer Whiz Anyone?

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

I'm lucky to be here today! I'm using an old iPad and becoming totally hooked, spending most of my day during this lockdown. Our WiFi went down a couple days ago. In trying to figure out what was happening, someone saw that an update signal was in my settings. So we ran the update!!! Should have left well enough alone!!! LOST my Google and YouTube app buttons. Can't get them back!

I've found the App Store but it gives me an error message about my tablet not being compatible. The app icon looks different to me, I think. Could it be that I had an older version of Google? Or what? Any ideas???

I have gotten to Google via Safari. Having a lot of trouble with The SLC page, it looks totally different! Can't find the Search bar! Ahhh!!!
4 x

Harlequin

Re: Computer Whiz Anyone?

Post by Harlequin » 3 years ago

Annabel, maybe a moderator can you help me with that
4 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 3 years ago

Whenever (and I mean every single time) you receive a notice that you have an update...ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS VERIFY IT by going to that particular site.

Hackers use these types of notices. Do not ever automatically update. Go to the site (example: Avast Anti-Virus downloads) and MAKE SURE you are REALLY due for an update.

Make SURE the "necessary update" is truly from the software program it claims to be.
6 x

Moderator_Connor

Post by Moderator_Connor » 3 years ago

anniebelle wrote:
3 years ago
I'm lucky to be here today! I'm using an old iPad and becoming totally hooked, spending most of my day during this lockdown. Our WiFi went down a couple days ago. In trying to figure out what was happening, someone saw that an update signal was in my settings. So we ran the update!!! Should have left well enough alone!!! LOST my Google and YouTube app buttons. Can't get them back!

I've found the App Store but it gives me an error message about my tablet not being compatible. The app icon looks different to me, I think. Could it be that I had an older version of Google? Or what? Any ideas???

I have gotten to Google via Safari. Having a lot of trouble with The SLC page, it looks totally different! Can't find the Search bar! Ahhh!!!
Good Afternoon, anniebelle!

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this sort of error on our site! I have forwarded your post and the issue to our teams to look further into this for the cause of the error and a resolution as quickly as possible, though unfortunately we cannot provide assistance with Google and YouTube app issues. We are sorry for any issue you are experiencing, though we hope to get this looked into and resolved for you!
6 x

anniebelle

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

Catticus wrote:
3 years ago
Whenever (and I mean every single time) you receive a notice that you have an update...ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS VERIFY IT by going to that particular site.

Hackers use these types of notices. Do not ever automatically update. Go to the site (example: Avast Anti-Virus downloads) and MAKE SURE you are REALLY due for an update.

Make SURE the "necessary update" is truly from the software program it claims to be.
Yeah, I know that now, lol ! The friends I have shared this with all have said they would have done the same thing. It wasn't via email, was simply a (1) on my settings page. Wish I could turn back time! The iPad isn't even mine!
5 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 3 years ago

anniebelle wrote:
3 years ago

The iPad 2, 3 and 1st generation iPad Mini are all ineligible and excluded from upgrading to iOS 10 AND iOS 11.

They all share similar hardware architectures and a less powerful 1.0 Ghz CPU that Apple has deemed insufficiently powerful enough to even run the basic, barebones features of iOS 10 OR iOS 11 so in other words, upgrading is incompatible to older ipads.

Also, both iPad 2 and 1st gen iPad Mini have a paltry 512 MBs ( NOT GBs ) of internal RAM which is no where near enough RAM to sufficiently run latest updates.

This doesn't make older ipads obsolete - it's just that upgrades are not compatible to the older ipads. Instead explaining how to downgrade back on this forum - call a local iphone fixit company....there everywhere now. Call them and ask if they could reset your ipad back to the previous ios version you had before the upgrade. If they can, you will have to pay but they could optimize your ipad to get the best performance and get back your youtube and such.... no headache to let them do it.

Best of luck with it Anniebelle.

P.S. This is the same thing that people using Windows 7 will eventually have to face if not already facing. There are no more updates for Windows 7. None. Which means that eventually, this os will not be compatible for newer devices and apps/programs. It simply will be incompatible.
9 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 3 years ago

anniebelle wrote:
3 years ago
Catticus wrote:
3 years ago

Yeah, I know that now, lol ! The friends I have shared this with all have said they would have done the same thing. It wasn't via email, was simply a (1) on my settings page. Wish I could turn back time! The iPad isn't even mine!
I'm so sorry this happened to you! I hope you get things fixed. It's such a nightmare!
🥺

Just wanted to add that these "update notices" don't always come via email. A software program installed on your PC, can state an update is needed by a notification in your settings, by a pop up, and in other ways that aren't necessarily from the program.

Hackers can send false notifications of "necessary updates." And, once a person updates with this phony notification, the hacker is "in."
7 x

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » 3 years ago

WOW!!! 🤪. Someone THROW ME A BONE!!! Lol. 6/28. 6:40 AM CST
2 x

Hayhaypaula

Post by Hayhaypaula » 3 years ago

[mention]anniebelle[/mention]

If you are feeling brave, or don't want to go out to an Apple store (if they are even open), you could Google "how to backup older ipad" and also, "how to restore older ipad to factory settings" and I am sure you will find excellent instructions on how to do it yourself, for free! And the best part is that you can learn something new, something very valuable, with the upside of helping to stimulate your brain cells, and possibly keep away the inevitable memory loss from old age!

Could you spare a few minutes this morning to try that? Maybe while you sip that second cup of coffee? And when you see that it isn't too hard, you can celebrate with a butt wiggle or two!

Best wishes!

Hayhaypaula
6-28-20 @ 6:34 a.m. PDT

P.S. Do you have any nieces or nephews around? Or even neighbor kids? They seem to learn this stuff before they learn to walk! You might even get off easy by paying them with a nice batch of homemade cookies!
Last edited by Hayhaypaula 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 3 years ago

Hi Annabelle,

You do NOT have to GO to an Apple store - that was not what I meant when I suggested to go to a phone/tablet repair store. The NEW way to get phones/ipads repaired both physically and with software are with independent stores that are located all over the place and most will do same day "house calls" pick up you phone and return it and they provide warranties too. The charges are NOT expensive compared to Apple repair. I do not live in a big city and I have about 10 in my area that does this. In fact, I thought about doing it as a side business too - because it is easy to make repairs if you know how.

A simple phone call to these places, google your hometown and cellular and tablet repair near me- and place a simple phone call - ask them questions, let them tell you how easy it is to repair or not, the price and make your decision. They may tell you over the phone how to fix your own phone. They are usually open on Sundays too.

Again, I was NOT stating to go to an Apple store! I would tell you how to do it here but because this forum is so heavily moderated it's very hard having a conversation here. Another example as to why posts do not need to approved so we can help each other in real time.

All the best and let us know how you made out.

OSOTT
6 x