What is your favorite gemstone?

Gulfwaterlady

Re: What is your favorite gemstone?

Post by Gulfwaterlady » 7 months ago

Team Peridot,
I didn't know that Jalisco fire opal darkens from the moisture in your hands.
Welo opal was a favorite gem of mine until 6 of 8 pieces, a bracelet, a pendant, a loose stone, and 3 rings, turned mustard yellow. I have heard other people say they also experienced this.
These items were purchases from th Q, the J, and SLC, so I can't place the blame a company. The gems were so ugly I removed them from the mountings and threw them away. Two rings have retained their beauty.
I heard you could soak them in water to enhance their color play. I never did that. I heard you could put a bit of water on your finger and wipe it on the stone, to enhance color play. I did do that. All of them were kept in the same jewelry box. After I moistened them, I let them dry a whole day before putting them in the jewelry box. It did enhance their color when I first purchased them.
The10 mm round, I had set as a pendant in 14k. It was beautiful at that time. I was so disappointed when I began to notice the yellow tinge and then it darkened to a mustard color.
Why did 6 turn yellow, not all of them?
I find it interesting that Jalisco fire opal's color also is affected by moisture, it darkens. The Welo
opal also darkens but into a horrible yellow color.
I have asked and read gemstone articles but have never found out why all 8 didn't turn yellow.
This forum does inform and leads you to try and find answers.
Everyone on here has been extremely polite and welcoming to me.
Team Peridot, thank you for your information. I hope you come on the forum again, so you can read this message. Perhaps you have information on Welo opal from SLC.
2 x

GemfArMooom

Post by GemfArMooom » 7 months ago

TeamPeridot wrote:
7 months ago
Thanks for asking.

My top three:

1. Tanzanite-the higher the grade the better. I especially like the alluring mix of both blue and purple with a tinge of red mixed in. I especially enjoy the very fascinating story of how it was discovered, plus many people do not know, but they are 1,000 times more rare than diamonds are. By the fact they are a one source stone now mined out, and considered a contemporary stone, all the better.

2. Emerald-the Columbian and Zambian Emeralds are the best by far as they are the most clean. Along with the very rich history they share, it definitely makes them more interesting. Plus according to folklore, if you dream of them, it is supposed to bring you money.

3. Fire Opal-Mexican Fire Opal from Jalisco, Mexico always provides the most rich in color. Plus all the more wow by the fact that the more you wear them, the more dark in color it gets by soaking up the moisture in your hand. "Opal del fuego" en espanol.

Thanks for asking, sound of with yours :)

Team Peridot
I have taken to quoting stuff since it seems so much goes disappearing these days . . .

1.) I'm guessing you must NOT work for SLC as many of us had previously assumed, for you certainly would have known tanzanite is NOT mined out, nor close to it. Tanzanite 1 mine was SHUT DOWN FOR NOT PAYING WORKERS. Also happens to be the mine SLC co owns . . . (imagine that). Estimated reports suggest another 30 years of mining, plus another 20 after that of cutting through all the rough.

AND, there actually HAS been another source recently discovered in Africa, and still currently setting up mining preparations and research.

Don't listen to the ramble SLC spews out. Most of it is false, just gimmicks to get you to buy.

But I AM curious . . . why come blazing in with nothing but hate months ago, and suddenly switch to something so tame? And why come crashing in like that in the FIRST PLACE? Most people generally start out with "hi, hey I'm new here, nice to meet you all" . . . . .
3 x

colljoe

Post by colljoe » 7 months ago

Well? Crickets 🙊 from 🐍 .
2 x