Tanzanian Blue Spinel

GemfArMooom

Re: Tanzanian Blue Spinel

Post by GemfArMooom » 5 months ago

colljoe wrote:
5 months ago
Didn't notice about the treatment on my blue spinel when purchased, but it really is nice so I will enjoy.
I just received my Paraiba Apatite hoop earrings (mentioned in another post) and well, BACK they are going. :(
They are a big disappointment. Have no sparkle (maybe they are dirty), one stone is smaller than the others, and of course it's right in front. And they are off kilter...bent slightly. Just enough that they fit weird and hard to snap in. I wonder if they are a return. I contacted CS to let them know I am sending back due to being defective using their return label and I don't want to be charged for shipping. They said ok, and I saved the chat transcript to make sure I don't get charged for the shipping. What a bummer. Was looking forward to this purchase.
I had been looking at those earrings too. Earrings don't normally catch my interest, but those certainly did. I once bought a neon apatite ring set with diamonds. At the time it was not disclosed as treated, but when I received it I knew something was off. Later they did change the description online.

Most apatite is GREEN, and since blue is the more popular color it's heated to turn it various shades of blue. When this happens it causes more fracturing. The stone itself is soft and brittle, most places don't bother with it since it's so hard to NICELY work with and set. It's difficult to polish since it tends to crumble.

One of the nice things about SLC is that they DO take risks on softer stones, which allows us access to items most places refuse to carry. BUT, they are also mass produced, so it can be difficult to get a GOOD product.

I'm glad at least your spinel was nice, would have been a bummer to have to send BOTH items back :(
2 x

Bella

Post by Bella » 5 months ago

I so agree with you Spinoza! Jewelry store inventory is way over priced and the stones are small as well. Plus they push the lab created stuff which looks like glass. Enjoy your ruby!
4 x

colljoe

Post by colljoe » 5 months ago

I must admit, my lab created Ruby I got a few years ago at JTV does look like glass. To me it does, not everyone else. It's beautiful, and has a nice setting and is fun to wear during the holidays and Valentines day. I also obtained a 3 ct round Strontium Titanite with lab created Bixbite on each side, and wow, that one is a stunner. Strontium is really great in earrings as they sparkle like a very expensive diamond, without the expense.
1 x

Spinoza

Post by Spinoza » 5 months ago

Has anyone bought any Moissanite from SLC? Again, their prices seem at least a little better than what I’ve seen elsewhere but I wonder if the pieces look as good in person as they do on TV. (We all know they make sure the jewelry they show on TV are the best examples they can find but the pieces that are shipped out to customers often vary in appearance.)

So is SLC Moissanite a thumbs up or a thumbs down? (Or maybe a sideways thumb? 🤣)

Thanks for any help! All opinions welcome! 😁✌️
3 x

colljoe

Post by colljoe » 5 months ago

Love love all my Moissanite. I have rings, earrings, and necklace and all are beautiful. I have also given as gifts because they are so affordable on Shop LC. Bling is amazing.
3 x

christee

Post by christee » 5 months ago

I bought a platinum over sterling moissanite ring from here in August and wear it every day as a wedding ring. Looks much better than diamonds and when Michelle mentioned during a presentation that it stays clean, I had doubts. She's telling the truth because I've never cleaned it and it still looks new and sparkly.
2 x

GemfArMooom

Post by GemfArMooom » 5 months ago

Spinoza wrote:
5 months ago
Has anyone bought any Moissanite from SLC? Again, their prices seem at least a little better than what I’ve seen elsewhere but I wonder if the pieces look as good in person as they do on TV. (We all know they make sure the jewelry they show on TV are the best examples they can find but the pieces that are shipped out to customers often vary in appearance.)

So is SLC Moissanite a thumbs up or a thumbs down? (Or maybe a sideways thumb? 🤣)

Thanks for any help! All opinions welcome! 😁✌️

I've bought from a few places. I have a genuine charles an Covard which nothing can compare to, and two SLC items. The SLC items one is micro stones set in a band (decent but not as flashy as the CC ring) and a large solitaire men's ring I bought my husband and he hated so much he refuses to wear it. Nothing like the CC ring sadly. I also have some moissanites I bought online loose to have custom set in a star sapphire ring I made. LOOKS STUNNING, I was skeptical, but they do look amazing. Likely as nice ad my CC stones but these are tiny so not really comparable.

Bottom line, I do love good quality moissanite, but buy some low priced items first to check quality from a few places, then decide which stores sells the best.
2 x

Spinoza

Thanks colljoe, christee & GenfArMooom! Appreciate the feedback. If there’s a nice SLC holiday sale on Moissanite I’m going to take the plunge and buy a nice “test” ring that calls my name. 😁🤞✌️
2 x

Druid

Post by Druid » 5 months ago

@Spinoza Moissanite
I bought several rings, pendants and earrings with Moissanite halo and they look very sparkly and white. I also bought stud Moissanite earrings and they sparkle more than CZ or topaz.The ring has an Asher cut and some small Moissanite on the band, in vermeil gold on SS and this is the only item that ,even sparkly and beautifully made, looks IMO, a little on the costume jewelry side, but again this is just me. I got almost everything on auction, with patience and some luck, and bought only the cherry citrine set with hallo Moissanite ( ring, pendant and earrings) using some coupons. If you want to try moissanite, I think you can have the best prices on auction with SLC, because other sites like J.t.v.site Moissanite is more expensive , even on auction.
2 x

Spinoza

Thanks, Druid! Good info and a great suggestion. I’ll see what I can find on the auction section and give it my best shot if there’s something that catches my eye! 👁️ 😁✌️
0 x