Russian Chrome Diopside VS Tanzanite

Gem Lover

Russian Chrome Diopside VS Tanzanite

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

Did anyone catch Karen's comment earlier about Russian Chrome Diopside? She said a couple of times that Russian Chrome Diopside is the gem to be buying and not Tanzanite because it is no longer being mined in Russia and that is the that had the best gem quality and that there is plenty of Tanzanite it is just not being released much at this time. She said what I have been thinking right along. Russian Chrome Diopside it all natural and some designer brand jewelers are asking a good amount of money for it. I know le vian has it and they call it Pistachio Diopside and get a good amount of money for it.
3 x

Gemsnob

Re: Russian Chrome Diopside VS Tanzanite

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Gem Lover wrote:
4 years ago
Did anyone catch Karen's comment earlier about Russian Chrome Diopside? She said a couple of times that Russian Chrome Diopside is the gem to be buying and not Tanzanite because it is no longer being mined in Russia and that is the that had the best gem quality and that there is plenty of Tanzanite it is just not being released much at this time. She said what I have been thinking right along. Russian Chrome Diopside it all natural and some designer brand jewelers are asking a good amount of money for it. I know le vian has it and they call it Pistachio Diopside and get a good amount of money for it.
There are a few names for Russian Diopside depending on the company. I think a cruise line also gave it a fancy name. Ive read that the Asian market has been buying it up and setting it in 18kt gold and Platinum. It will increase in value just be aware if its hardness on the Mohs scale. Its 5.5-6.5.
3 x

Hot4TENER

Post by Hot4TENER » 4 years ago

I don’t know which channel I heard this on, but the hosts said that one of the largest jewelry manufacturing facilities in Asia somewhere just converted a large area of their factory from tanzanite production to chrome diopside production because they expect the demand for it to increase. And that is is already in high demand in Asia.
5 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

There may be tanzanite available but it is so pale as to be unrecognizable unless you pay ginormous amounts of money for it. I don't think chrome diopside will ever go as high as the good tanzie for the simple reason that more people like blue than green. That being said there has been a steady increase in chrome diopside since the days years ago when I first saw it on the LC and they were calling it chrome dioxside because they had never seen it before. Technically it also is not a one source gemstone although the good stuff comes from Russia. The key to buying it as an investment stone is to avoid the really light stuff or the very dark stuff (sometimes it is almost black). I love it and if I had the bucks this is far and away the stone I would be stockpiling. It certainly will go up in value not only because of the limited availability but also because the Asian market is a big player and culturally they equate wearing green with attracting money to oneself.
3 x

Gemsnob

There are so many wealthy people in certain Asian countries that they are likely the ones who have been stockpiling gemstones for decades and will make millions releasing them as mines dry up. Sadly I will never have enough extra cash flow to stock pile gemstone and make a killing.
3 x

Druid

Post by Druid » 4 years ago

There is an abundant quantity of diopside not only in Russia but in other countries as well.It is a very affordable stone that so far could not be treated. The info you got is marketing policy for naive customers.Make some internet research and you will see.The diopside jewelry in silver should be very affordable.The only downfall is the diopside stones can be sometimes a very dark green color. The good ones are a nice translucent green that some people could confound with emerald.
1 x

Gemsnob

Druid wrote:
4 years ago
There is an abundant quantity of diopside not only in Russia but in other countries as well.It is a very affordable stone that so far could not be treated. The info you got is marketing policy for naive customers.Make some internet research and you will see.The diopside jewelry in silver should be very affordable.The only downfall is the diopside stones can be sometimes a very dark green color. The good ones are a nice translucent green that some people could confound with emerald.
Chrome diopside looks more like tsavorite garnet or chrome tourmaline in my opinion. Ive yet to see, in person, online or on television, an emerald that has the same color as a chrome diopside. Its like comparing topaz to diamond just because they are colorless. They are not comparable.
2 x

JewelryQueen

I hear you sister about having the money to invest! When tanzanite first hit the market I had a friend who was retiring and he asked what he should invest in. I said tanzanite and gold. He invested in Boeing. Bet he is still kicking himself in the behind to this day!
3 x

Gemsnob

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
I hear you sister about having the money to invest! When tanzanite first hit the market I had a friend who was retiring and he asked what he should invest in. I said tanzanite and gold. He invested in Boeing. Bet he is still kicking himself in the behind to this day!
I bet you are right!
2 x

JewelryQueen

In my humble opinion if your chrome diopside is the color of tsavorite garnet or mint garnet you are getting the too light stuff. Personally I prefer a more saturated color but you are right it looks nothing like emeralds other than it is green.
4 x