Holidays and giving

JewelryQueen

Holidays and giving

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

So I would love to hear what you all are up to for others this season. I read about the chili fiasco. What a shame! Being as I am the Two Broke Girls minus one, for this year I have been buying wool hats and gloves sets for the homeless on RA before the crazy bidders started. Last year we had three local homeless people freeze to death. For the last few years I also get a few inexpensive crosses on the 40% off days and give to the women at the shelter. Last year one of them tracked me down and thanked me with tears in her eyes saying that it was the one pretty thing she owned. I also make fabulous lotions that I bottle up for the old folks home. Better be careful with my language as I am geezer myself! You don't have to have money to have heart so please share your stories. Merry Christmas to you all!!
5 x

RS

Re: Holidays and giving

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Well I think I timed out and had to start over
See below.
Last edited by RS 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Chili fiasco lady here!

We give and volunteer all year long and this time of year is no exception. Of course at the mission and meal delivery service we are very busy right now and starting tomorrow it will be frantic. Fortunately we get a lot more volunteers during the holidays.
Every Christmas the Co. Sheriff holds a bike drive. We donate a dozen new bikes and bike helmets to kids who don’t have one. We also donate car seats of different sizes to the local women’s shelter as well as gift sets for the women including toiletry essentials, clothes, cologne, makeup , a journal and a piece of jewelry.
We have an Alzheimer’s home here and we buy gifts for the residents. Our son is disabled so we are very involved with our Regional Center. We give a monetary gift to them as well as gifts to those who otherwise might be forgotten during the holidays.
Our son lives in a group home so of course for him and his roommates we always bring gifts.
This year we got each of them a hoodie with their initials embroidered on them (just picked those up a bit ago today). A Christmas critter tin filled with Russell Stovers chocolates, a pair of Sherpa lined fair isle socks and a favorite movie for each. We also provide the staff that must work on Christmas Eve and Christmas with a ham dinner with all the trimmings and dessert as a thank you for taking care of the “boys”.
We are sponsors of our local historic theater and this year they asked me to provide some of my hand painted items for their charity auction. The money goes towards families in need in our area.
We never forget our furry, feathered and otherwise fuzzy friends either. We donate food, treats, toys, beds and bedding to our local human society.

We give monthly to more than a dozen charities, No Kid Hungry/Share Our Strength being one of them.

The point is it’s not important how much you give...or how little. You can give the gift of your time, a little or a lot. You can give a gift whether purchased with thought or made with love by your own two hands.
It can be the gift of a smile, a hug, the gift of listening to someone who needs an ear. It can be the gift of friendship or love.
We all have the ability to give something. It doesn’t matter what you give, it matters that you give.

Merry Christmas my friends ❤️❤️❤️
5 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
See below.
Thats weird. I saw your first post and liked it.
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
See below.
Thats weird. I saw your first post and liked it.
Thank you❣️ I posted it and it said there was an error but part of it posted and part didn’t. I wasn’t given the option to delete so I erased it and wrote it again.
Never saw it do that before.
3 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Our oldest daughter is also disabled. She lives with us right now. We are currently fighting with the state trying to get her disability re-instated. Its always something!
Merry Christmas to you too and everyone else!
4 x

LisaC2019

Post by LisaC2019 » 4 years ago

I try to make a habit of giving all year long. I was just saying how all of the charities are seen during the Christmas holidays but you rarely see them the rest of the year. I have over the years stopped giving to some charities because you don't see the results of the giving anymore.
3 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

In my community we have a food bank for poor families. Local stores contribute food weekly to the food bank and volunteers pack and deliver the food pkgs to the families. We ring the bell and leave the pkg, not to embarrass them. When my dad was alive he contributed large amount of money weekly to the food bank to buy food thats wasn’t donated. I try to follow in his footsteps as much as I can, but I dont come close to being like him. I also try to give to third world charities that give most of the donations to the needy families. Unfortunately, many charities keep a large amount of the donation for operating expenses. The Red cross gives most of whats donated.
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Our oldest daughter is also disabled. She lives with us right now. We are currently fighting with the state trying to get her disability re-instated. Its always something!
Merry Christmas to you too and everyone else!
Oh been there, done that!

I am my son’s Rep-payee and my husband and I are both his Conservators. The state deliberately makes it difficult to keep up on all the paperwork involved. They hope people will give up.
We won’t. And when we are no longer alive we have a family trust managed by an attorney with everything spelled out and taken care of.
If you are conservator you have a lot more power and sway with the government.
4 x