Australian Opals

Gypsy

Australian Opals

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

I've been watching Outback Opal Hunters on the Discovery channel
White - Boulder - Matrix - Black Seam - Shell - Lightening Ridge - Rainbow - Pipe.......types of opal they have been talking about. Didn't realize there were so many types. And the independent miners WOW tough and dangerous work. It has been very intense and interesting to learn how they hunt and mine.
I have one loose Australian opal that was gifted to me back in 1986 but I dont know from which location. Wish I knew
4 x

Gemsnob

Re: Australian Opals

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago
I've been watching Outback Opal Hunters on the Discovery channel
White - Boulder - Matrix - Black Seam - Shell - Lightening Ridge - Rainbow - Pipe.......types of opal they have been talking about. Didn't realize there were so many types. And the independent miners WOW tough and dangerous work. It has been very intense and interesting to learn how they hunt and mine.
I have one loose Australian opal that was gifted to me back in 1986 but I dont know from which location. Wish I knew
I dont have that channel but when I was on social media, I used to follow several opal miners. Im also facinated by some of the homes. They are underground. Heck , Coober Pedy , the town, lots of it is underground because its so hot and they play golf at night! Everything glows in the dark! Its really cool!
2 x

Gypsy

Coober Pedy was one of the locations they were showing today. I've seen other series where they featured the underground housing.and lifestyle. Too cool !
They also use UV flashlights to search.for opals.at night .
2 x

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » 4 years ago

I have been watching it also with my husband. The independent hunters have an extremely difficult time. I cannot believe that the price they are paid for those stones is worth what they have to go through to find it.
They really must love what they do.
I told my husband that Tenner and his brother should have their own show.
2 x

Gypsy

Butterfly wrote:
4 years ago
I have been watching it also with my husband. The independent hunters have an extremely difficult time. I cannot believe that the price they are paid for those stones is worth what they have to go through to find it.
Hi Butterfly- I know, the pricing surprised me too.
Such a vast area of dirt & rocks and the threat of thieves at night when claims are unprotected. I'd like to see more videos of all shoplc gem hunters like they used to show and I would love to watch Tenner & Tony do some gem hunting. Gypsy
1 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Butterfly wrote:
4 years ago
I think Tony mentioned that he was on a show although I dont know which one and it probably wasnt his own. I think its difficult when gem hunters go on TV because it makes it difficult to keep their locations secret and losers try to find their mines and steal their gems. Just my two cents.
2 x

Gypsy

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Butterfly wrote:
4 years ago
I think Tony mentioned that he was on a show although I dont know which one and it probably wasnt his own. I think its difficult when gem hunters go on TV because it makes it difficult to keep their locations secret and losers try to find their mines and steal their gems. Just my two cents.
Two of the miners had to leave thier claim for a bit and had to cover the ridge they were digging with , I think they said 60 tons of dirt and rock that they had previously removed and then when they came back they first had to "undig".thier claim...
Lots of work !!!!
2 x