Garnet Lovers

Gypsy

Re: Garnet Lovers

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
Right you are Gemsnob. More people seem to know Ant Hill name vs Pyrope. Aren't those videos of the ants pushing those nasty gemstones out of their way so they can get sand out of their hole hilarious?
That's why I got the ring ! Won it on auction for like $3.00 😁 wanted it for the story
2 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
Thanks for the input. Going to check them out now. Garnet is my sister's birthstone and she has every kind except demantoid which I am not fond of so she will have to buy that for herself. My to favorites are pyrope and color change.
The demantoid sold by SLC does not have the fire that they should have. I have one packaged to be returned. Good demantoid will show colors shooting out if cut in the round. Gemporia has some lovely demantoids and even the little 2 & 3 mms are impressive.
0 x

Lulu

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
Right you are Gemsnob. More people seem to know Ant Hill name vs Pyrope. Aren't those videos of the ants pushing those nasty gemstones out of their way so they can get sand out of their hole hilarious?
Yes! Ive always wondered why people just collect the garnets and dont dig for them. If ants are pushing them to the surface, it stands to reason there are more down there unless they are fire ants.I guess they know what they are doing and thats why they are doing it and Im not!
The ant hill garnets are found on the Navajo reservation. Because of the Navajo's reverence for the earth, they prohibit commercial mining. The garnets are collected by the Navajos when they feel like it. It isn't a big endeavor for them.

I have seen ant hill garnets that were exceptionally red and ant hill garnets that looked no different from any other pyrope. It's either the luck of the draw or something else going on.

Back when JTV was carrying a lot of overruns and closeouts, I bought an emerald cut Brazilian pyrope that measures 16 x 10mm and has 3 briolette drops dangling from each side. 14ctw in all. It looks like a decorated seat on an elephant's back.

It seems that there was a lot more variety and ingenuity in designs in the years past.
3 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Lulu wrote:
4 years ago
JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
Thanks for the input. Going to check them out now. Garnet is my sister's birthstone and she has every kind except demantoid which I am not fond of so she will have to buy that for herself. My to favorites are pyrope and color change.
The demantoid sold by SLC does not have the fire that they should have. I have one packaged to be returned. Good demantoid will show colors shooting out if cut in the round. Gemporia has some lovely demantoids and even the little 2 & 3 mms are impressive.
It is probably because of the cut. A well cut gem will sparkle a lot.[/color]
2 x

Lulu

Margui wrote:
4 years ago
Lulu wrote:
4 years ago
JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
It is probably because of the cut. A well cut gem will sparkle a lot.[/color]
True. And, if the gem has a lot of inclusions they will affect the fire.
2 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Garnet is my birthstone and I have some pieces. I love the intense red color of the gem, but I like the other colors as well. I have an Ant Hill garnet ring and earrings from ShopLC, but the garnets on the ring are not sparkly. And Ant Hill garnet is expensive. Also I have rhodolites and the mint garnet, the color of the mint garnet is pretty on mine, not washed out. I would like to have Bekily change color garnet, a great alternative for the rare and expensive alexandrite. Like I mention on another post, I want a to see a Topazolite garnet, a yellow garnet and more Spessartites.
0 x