Wait, what...No

RS

Re: Wait, what...No

Post by RS » 4 years ago

LisaC2019 wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
If my daughter would be getting married in a “few years time” it’s not up to the parent to buy the wedding ring.
Uhmmm. NOOOOOO.....
STOPPPPPPPP
Traditionally in the US the groom pays for the ring but I don't know because this younger generation is not like us...I can see a bride planning and paying for her own wedding to include picking out and buying her own ring. I can also see a mother buying a ring and giving it to her daughter as a gift. In some countries the males are still given dowries so it may also depend on what country he was talking about.
My daughter was married two years ago.

Groom paid for her ring.
We paid for the dress, shoes, etc...wedding, reception, flowers, cake (I decorated myself) photographer, bridesmaids gifts, rehearsal dinner (traditionally paid for by groom’s parents but they did not want to participate other than be included) whole other story

Ohh...we also paid for wedding suite and their honeymoon. Bride and groom sometimes pay, not always. They could not.

So bride’s family pays for most.
A dowry is not in our culture. Or at least hasn’t been for hundreds of years.

Groom is supposed to pay for the ring. If it is a handed down heirloom then that is discussed and taken into consideration. And that heirloom could be from either side. The wedding band would also be purchased by groom, again unless a handed down piece.

My daughter was married at 19 (ohhhh I won’t go there) and nobody, including her, thinks she will be married much longer. I was not going to gift one of my treasured pieces for this marriage.
He gave her a ring that turned black and turned her finger green.
4 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
LisaC2019 wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
If my daughter would be getting married in a “few years time” it’s not up to the parent to buy the wedding ring.
Uhmmm. NOOOOOO.....
STOPPPPPPPP
Traditionally in the US the groom pays for the ring but I don't know because this younger generation is not like us...I can see a bride planning and paying for her own wedding to include picking out and buying her own ring. I can also see a mother buying a ring and giving it to her daughter as a gift. In some countries the males are still given dowries so it may also depend on what country he was talking about.
My daughter was married two years ago.

Groom paid for her ring.
We paid for the dress, shoes, etc...wedding, reception, flowers, cake (I decorated myself) photographer, bridesmaids gifts, rehearsal dinner (traditionally paid for by groom’s parents but they did not want to participate other than be included) whole other story

Ohh...we also paid for wedding suite and their honeymoon. Bride and groom sometimes pay, not always. They could not.

So bride’s family pays for most.
A dowry is not in our culture. Or at least hasn’t been for hundreds of years.

Groom is supposed to pay for the ring. If it is a handed down heirloom then that is discussed and taken into consideration. And that heirloom could be from either side. The wedding band would also be purchased by groom, again unless a handed down piece.

My daughter was married at 19 (ohhhh I won’t go there) and nobody, including her, thinks she will be married much longer. I was not going to gift one of my treasured pieces for this marriage.
He gave her a ring that turned black and turned her finger green.
Those Cracker Jack trinkets will do that.
1 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

And here I was going to ask if it was from the Karis line...nothing like a bronze ring.
2 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
And here I was going to ask if it was from the Karis line...nothing like a bronze ring.
The Karis line is actually brass which is even lower than bronze in hardness and cost.
1 x