Love to hear Tanner stories!

Dragonfly

Love to hear Tanner stories!

Post by Dragonfly » 4 years ago

I learn so much from Tanner and when he tells one of his background stories I just love it. Now I have been watching him showing a lot of luxury items and I KNOW he said 199.00 for the Illiana fresh water pearls in 18 K gold and the graphic went to 99.00. Even Becky said that she heard him say another price and she said it quietly and not like the usual way when she feigns distress at the lower price...I think it was a little mistake and I decided to hop on it and buy them--went on my phone AP and it stuttered and didn't work so I quickly went to my lap top and fortunately there was one pair at least in the 25 last items --they had moved on and that stupid mobile AP didn't! I have uninstalled it and put the latest version on and it still is not consistent. They really have to hire a good IT person to fix it. I have missed out on purchases in the past so I am just going to be grateful I got this one....geeez...hate that gem stress!
3 x

LisaC2019

Re: Love to hear Tanner stories!

Post by LisaC2019 » 4 years ago

Dragonfly wrote: โ†‘
4 years ago
I learn so much from Tanner and when he tells one of his background stories I just love it. Now I have been watching him showing a lot of luxury items and I KNOW he said 199.00 for the Illiana fresh water pearls in 18 K gold and the graphic went to 99.00. Even Becky said that she heard him say another price and she said it quietly and not like the usual way when she feigns distress at the lower price...I think it was a little mistake and I decided to hop on it and buy them--went on my phone AP and it stuttered and didn't work so I quickly went to my lap top and fortunately there was one pair at least in the 25 last items --they had moved on and that stupid mobile AP didn't! I have uninstalled it and put the latest version on and it still is not consistent. They really have to hire a good IT person to fix it. I have missed out on purchases in the past so I am just going to be grateful I got this one....geeez...hate that gem stress!
Wow...it sounds like you got a great deal on those pearls...please share how you like them when they arrive :)
1 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

Sorry. This is a fake price mistake game Tenner plays to cause a frenzy in viewers. In a couple minutes its sold out. He has the producer and co host play along. One day it went too far. He had a bead necklace that he announces is $1699. The producer- usually Matt plays along and puts $599. Tenner pretends to be shocked. That its a $1100 error. So of course viewers who are on such a frenzy to buy, most dont even know what they are buying. A string of beads for $600. It sells out in minutes. I told him off. Some viewers thinking they got a killing maybe spent their food money to buy this, only to find there are no buyers for their beads. He does this alot, although after I called him out on this, he calmed it down. Once he genuinely made a mistake. He said its $99 when it was $199. I asked him to honor his mistake as he claims he has to. He didnt. Another time he made a big deal about Matt posting $200 less then he said. He said: we are losing alot of money, so only for 2 minutes. Well- when the item didnโ€™t sell, he should have been thrilled. No loss of money. He ended up giving another 2 minute clock twice. It was a obvious fake price mistake. One time he was selling South sea pearls. He said its $3300 when I just bought it 1 week before for $1600 plus a 30% coupon. He obviously didn't know, so he pretends that he is going to the booth to call management to beg them to lower it. The camera shows him on the phone in the booth. He comes out and makes a big deal that he convinced uppers to sell it for $1600.
I am telling you that these are just a few examples. Dont believe when he plays this fake price mistake game. Its not ETHICAL, even dragging in his co host. I loved Tenner, but these games CHEAPENED him. I know he does it to drum up business for shopl, but its not fair to unsuspecting viewers thinking they are getting a bigger bargain because of a huge mistake ๐Ÿ™„
5 x

Dragonfly

I have seen those other times as well--I guess your comments to him made him look more subtle. It really was not hyped up this time. BTW, I regularly get my most special pieces appraised and I have always gotten a much higher appraisal than what I paid for--I have done it for QVC and JTV items as well. I don't do it for every piece because I buy too much to get everything appraised--gets expensive really fast.
I also think it is important to get an appraiser that knows the more exotic stones. Some of them may not even realize what you bring in to them --I have one jeweler that I have been going to for 37 years and he does pretty well but i will sometimes strike a conversation up with him or one of his staff and they cannot identify some of the stones and I have to tell them what it is.
I have gone to other jewelers who get so competitive that they actually talk down some items in a snarky way because they know it is an online purchase, Twice, two different jewelers, commented on gold set rings that I had and got so in my head they ruined my excitement about one of them and I liked the other one so much I refused to let that piece be ruined for me---but I never went to them for any purchases because they were dishonest to talk down a piece because it wasn't bought from them,
The point is, it is our job to judge each piece and how we like it and if it is really a good buy. The goofy antics they do isn't believable mostly but I guess you are quicker than me because I obviously got fooled last night--still, it is an Illiana piece in gold and I know pearls, I think 99.00 for a beautiful set of pearl earrings in gold is a pretty good steal,
I still like Tanner--he is a story teller and story telllers are the best salesman, I am pretty turned off by the other Shenanigans and struggle to look at the items and buy them in spite of the hosts! This is a business and they have products to sell--they have to cover costs and market etc. I expect them to make some money or they won't be here to give us good deals.
2 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

Vicky wrote: โ†‘
4 years ago
Sorry. This is a fake price mistake game Tenner plays to cause a frenzy in viewers. In a couple minutes its sold out. He has the producer and co host play along. One day it went too far. He had a bead necklace that he announces is $1699. The producer- usually Matt plays along and puts $599. Tenner pretends to be shocked. That its a $1100 error. So of course viewers who are on such a frenzy to buy, most dont even know what they are buying. A string of beads for $600. It sells out in minutes. I told him off.
Some viewers thinking they got a killing
maybe spent their food money to buy this, only to find there are no buyers
for their beads.

He does this alot, although after I called him out on this, he calmed it down.
Once he genuinely made a mistake. He said its $99 when it was $199.
I asked him to honor his mistake as he claims he has to.
He didnt

Another time he made a big deal about Matt posting $200 less then he said. He said: we are losing alot of money, so only for 2 minutes. Well- when the item didnโ€™t sell, he should have been thrilled. No loss of money. He ended up giving another 2 minute clock twice. It was a obvious fake price mistake. One time he was selling South sea pearls. He said its $3300 when I just bought it 1 week before for $1600 plus a 30% coupon. He obviously didn't know, so he pretends that he is going to the booth to call management to beg them to lower it. The camera shows him on the phone in the booth. He comes out and makes a big deal that he convinced uppers to sell it for $1600. I am telling you that these are just a few examples.
Dont believe when he plays this fake price mistake game.

Its not ETHICAL, even dragging in his co host.
I loved Tenner, but these games CHEAPENED him

I know he does it to drum up business for shopl, but

its not fair to unsuspecting viewers thinking they are getting a bigger bargain because of a huge mistake
๐Ÿ™„
@Vicky
THANK YOU!

I wish I could give this post of yours TEN hearts! In fact, I will!
๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—

What you said I agree with completely! Especially what I put in bold AND underlined!

Those words about people using their food money, thinking they could make a profit...and they won't be able to BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN LIED TO.
๐Ÿฅบ

EVERY TIME SLC PULLS THIS LIE (out of you know where) THEY SHOULD HAVE TO PROVIDE MEALS (or compensation) FOR THE PEOPLE THEY CONNED INTO BUYING.
๐Ÿ˜ก

IT TURNS MY STOMACH SO MUCH! ๐Ÿ˜ฃ

THEY ARE PREYING ON SUSCEPTIBLE PEOPLE!

WHICH MEANS "THE VULNERABLE!"

It is NO DIFFERENT than stealing from the elderly who live on tiny pensions.
NO DIFFERENT than stealing from families with medical bills.
NO DIFFERENT than stealing medications from those who are ill, including the elderly and children.
And on and on and on.

I HAVE ABSOLUTELY ZERO RESPECT FOR ANYONE WHO DOES THIS TO ANOTHER HUMAN BEING.

Give it fancy names and phrases all you want; "It's just my job; It's how sales work; Everyone knows sellers do this; It's standard business practices..."

NO. IT'S DECEIVING PEOPLE. IT IS CALLED DECEITFUL BUSINESS PRACTICES.

NOBODY BEGRUDGES THEM A REASONABLE PROFIT.

BUT WHEN SELLERS RESORT TO TACTICS LIKE THESE, THEY HAVE GONE FROM BEING A SALESPERSON - TO A LYING THIEF WHO TAKES ADVANTAGE OF OTHERS.

IT IS SICKENING.

Yes, he cheapened himself, Vicky.

And he didn't HAVE TO!

THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT EVEN WORSE.

4 x

Dragonfly

I work with people and their financial goals--there are people who do not have enough money to pay their bills but they buy lottery tickets like clodk work. I see others who may have financial troubles and they give a lot to charity or tithe --I support charity whole heartedly--but as the saying goes--charity begins at home.
There is a whole area of study in behavior finance and people often shoot themselves in their own foot. If they cannot afford food, why are they even tempting themselves or torturing themselves by looking at items that don't feed their children. Surely many of us have had bad times--God, does anyone remember 2008 and what it did to the financial and real estate sector? People are still digging themselves out of that giant whole. But when that happened, the wise ones did not make it worse by going on TV sites hawking items they could not afford. People have to exercise a bit of self-control. They have to use their own personal wisdom.
If you cannot find the same price for the ending price that Tanner came up with, then I might say there was a bit of unethical behavior, but if you can find an equal or higher one--how is that dishonest? Also, there is a saying in my business: the price is the price the market will bear. You don't have to pay what the market says it is--those people who pay under what the market will bear are cold "value" investors...or smart.
I blame myself for being fooled by Tanner--I should know better.I believe in personal accountability.
1 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

Dragonfly wrote: โ†‘
4 years ago
I work with people and their financial goals--there are people who do not have enough money to pay their bills but they buy lottery tickets like clodk work. I see others who may have financial troubles and they give a lot to charity or tithe --I support charity whole heartedly--but as the saying goes--charity begins at home.
There is a whole area of study in behavior finance and people often shoot themselves in their own foot. If they cannot afford food, why are they even tempting themselves or torturing themselves by looking at items that don't feed their children. Surely many of us have had bad times--God, does anyone remember 2008 and what it did to the financial and real estate sector? People are still digging themselves out of that giant whole. But when that happened, the wise ones did not make it worse by going on TV sites hawking items they could not afford. People have to exercise a bit of self-control. They have to use their own personal wisdom.
If you cannot find the same price for the ending price that Tanner came up with, then I might say there was a bit of unethical behavior, but if you can find an equal or higher one--how is that dishonest? Also, there is a saying in my business: the price is the price the market will bear. You don't have to pay what the market says it is--those people who pay under what the market will bear are cold "value" investors...or smart.
I blame myself for being fooled by Tanner--I should know better.I believe in personal accountability.
Dragonfly - if you purchased the piece because you loved it and you think you made a good purchase then I dont think you were fooled by anyone. And I enjoy listening to Tenners stories too ๐Ÿ˜Š
2 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

Oh, I don't mean the types of people you wrote about.

I'm talking about people taking advantage of "The Vulnerable." Not everyone thinks the same, has financial knowledge, a degree, or is able to "manage" well, or hold a job.

Without stating unkind words, when I say "vulnerable", I mean a lot of different words and descriptions that I probably shouldn't post on here.

I'll say it like this: High functioning, in that they are able to live on their own, turn the stove on and off, ride a bike, drive, but...well, while they can be very kind and trustworthy people, they have trouble with common sense and things like that. You know, "Socially Slow" and other phrases?

I have family members like this. I'm sure you know what I mean now by "Vulnerable"? They are easy targets; easy to take advantage of.

Those are who I mean when I say "Vulnerable."
And some have NOBODY to "keep an eye on them." ๐Ÿ˜ข
3 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Catticus wrote: โ†‘
4 years ago
Oh, I don't mean the types of people you wrote about.

I'm talking about people taking advantage of "The Vulnerable." Not everyone thinks the same, has financial knowledge, a degree, or is able to "manage" well, or hold a job.

Without stating unkind words, when I say "vulnerable", I mean a lot of different words and descriptions that I probably shouldn't post on here.

I'll say it like this: High functioning, in that they are able to live on their own, turn the stove on and off, ride a bike, drive, but...well, while they can be very kind and trustworthy people, they have trouble with common sense and things like that. You know, "Socially Slow" and other phrases?

I have family members like this. I'm sure you know what I mean now by "Vulnerable"? They are easy targets; easy to take advantage of.

Those are who I mean when I say "Vulnerable."
And some have NOBODY to "keep an eye on them." ๐Ÿ˜ข
As a parent of a 24 year old daughter on the autism spectrum, we sometimes say "differently abled". She has to find different ways of doing MANY things.
4 x