New grading system for Tanzanite?

JewelryQueen

New grading system for Tanzanite?

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

A while back I heard a rumor that Tanzanite was going to be graded on a numerical system. 1 - 100? if I remember right. Haven't heard anything since. Anybody else hear anything about this?
1 x

Spooky

Re: New grading system for Tanzanite?

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

Haven’t heard that. Did you hear it @ slc?
I just read on the GIA.edu website that
tanzanites are being coated with cobalt to
make them a darker blue. The coating isn’t
permanent and can be scratched off. I know
that the color change fluorites I’ve purchased
here were coated to make them a royal
blue. When I cleaned the stones the color
washed off and the stones went from royal
blue to a teal blue color. I had ordered 5
of these and had given them as gifts. All 5
of them were coated and on all 5 the royal
blue color washed off.
My conclusion: I wouldn’t put it past this place
to coat the tanzanite and not tell us
6 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

Can't remember where I heard about the new grading. Was at least 2 months ago but I know it wasn't at SLC. And yes I have heard that there is some type of cobalt treatment being used on Tanzanite but do not know any specifics about it. I'll bet some of the more educated ladies can give you the scoop. I love this forum!
'
5 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

Not a clue about this type of treatment about Tanzanite and Color Change Flourite. I hope my tanzanites are not coated.
5 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

Margui wrote:
4 years ago
Not a clue about this type of treatment about Tanzanite and Color Change Flourite. I hope my tanzanites are not coated.
I hope mine aren't either! It's one of my birthstones & I'd hate to think any of mine are coated.
5 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

Especially at the prices it’s being sold at
6 x

Gemaholic

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
Can't remember where I heard about the new grading. Was at least 2 months ago but I know it wasn't at SLC. And yes I have heard that there is some type of cobalt treatment being used on Tanzanite but do not know any specifics about it. I'll bet some of the more educated ladies can give you the scoop. I love this forum!
'
Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is under a microscope or through chemical treatment.. I'd run a streak test on some of mine but it won't be accurate since streak tests are conducted in the rock's rough form (the powder created from rubbing the rock on the porcelain plate is how the streak color shows up and is determined).They can get in serious trouble for not disclosing they put a coating. It's one thing to heat treat tanzanite since that is accepted in the industry, but putting a coating on without telling customers is fraudulent. You can also try testing it in the sunlight to see if the pleochroism is present or looks faint. It's harder to do that test on pieces lower than AAA. I'll put some of mine under a microscope and let you know what I find. Stay tuned....
8 x

Shawne

Post by Shawne » 4 years ago

Moderator, this is a rather important topic to get an answer on. Shoplc has been pretty good about disclosing treatments for niassa ruby and diamonds, as well as sapphires. But I have seen no treatments other than heat treatment for tanzanite. Are any of the tanzanites you sell getting cobalt treatment? In addition, can we get an answer on the ilakaka sapphire? Are they fissure filled or natural? Please advise. Thanks.
4 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Shawne wrote:
4 years ago
Moderator, this is a rather important topic to get an answer on. Shoplc has been pretty good about disclosing treatments for niassa ruby and diamonds, as well as sapphires. But I have seen no treatments other than heat treatment for tanzanite. Are any of the tanzanites you sell getting cobalt treatment? In addition, can we get an answer on the ilakaka sapphire? Are they fissure filled or natural? Please advise. Thanks.
In the EDUCATION section of the website it says that Ilikaka ARE FF.
4 x

Gemaholic

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

Shawne wrote:
4 years ago
My mom was pretty bummed recently when she learned about ilakaka being fissure filled. Personally, I don't think they disclose info about the sapphires and rubies enough. Every time I have watched a show where it was being presented, the hosts seemed to dance around mentioning it. I just recently witnessed a few days ago Tanner cutting off Becky as she was about to explain the process. This disgusts me as this looks dishonest. Fissure filling weakens and shortens the life of the stone, so this is important to talk about. This is why they were sued back in 2008. They mislead customers about labradorite saying it was natural but it was actually treated to bring it the color they were selling it as. If they keep this up, they're opening themselves up to another class action suit...
4 x