Not about jewelry but--I am mad!!

JewelryQueen

Re: Not about jewelry but--I am mad!!

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

Thank you all my dear, dear friends. I had to take a break as the sad is overtaking the mad, although they are both at mega levels.

The worst part is that this just brings back something I have kept buried for a long time. My Grandmother raised me and my five siblings.

She was living with one sister and I was over visiting. Gramma was 92 at the time. Aiti started to have trouble breathing and had pain in her chest. As sissy lived only 5 minutes from the hospital I carried her to my car (she was 5' and about 105 lbs) and made a mad dash to said hospital. I screeched up to the Emergency entrance and ran in carrying her in my arms. After she got in to see the doctor he sauntered out and asked me "What do you want me to do?" "YOU'RE THE DOCTOR. HELP HER!!" I screamed. He said "Well she IS 92. We could just let her go." They had to pull me off of him. She recovered and lived another four years.

None of us has an expiration date stamped on our foreheads. Since when have elderly people become expendable?
3 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
Thank you all my dear, dear friends. I had to take a break as the sad is overtaking the mad, although they are both at mega levels.

The worst part is that this just brings back something I have kept buried for a long time. My Grandmother raised me and my five siblings.

She was living with one sister and I was over visiting. Gramma was 92 at the time. Aiti started to have trouble breathing and had pain in her chest. As sissy lived only 5 minutes from the hospital I carried her to my car (she was 5' and about 105 lbs) and made a mad dash to said hospital. I screeched up to the Emergency entrance and ran in carrying her in my arms. After she got in to see the doctor he sauntered out and asked me "What do you want me to do?" "YOU'RE THE DOCTOR. HELP HER!!" I screamed. He said "Well she IS 92. We could just let her go." They had to pull me off of him. She recovered and lived another four years.

None of us has an expiration date stamped on our foreheads. Since when have elderly people become expendable?
What a traumatic thing for you to go thru. It's a wonder anyone trusts the "so called" medical professionals. Your friends & family are so fortunate to have you.

As I perceived before, you ARE true blue to your family & friends. Your love for them is literally ferocious. We should all be so lucky to have someone like you in our lives.

Take care of yourself first & foremost so you can keep being an advocate for those you love. 💞
2 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

Blossom

Thanks again for you kind thoughts.

I thought it was time to let this post die. I was furious steam-coming-out-of-my-ears angry. Then sad...Now I am SO ANGRY again I cannot sleep My roommate just came home a couple of hours ago and told me Walt's grand kids (40 yrs +) are at his house ransacking the place! Tearing the sweet pictures of wildlife and landscapes he painted so lovingly out of the frames because they think the FRAMES are worth something! They probably are, as some of them are antique. I would give my right arm for one of the paintings, minus the frame, they threw away. The Locust Family indeed!

Where were they when he didn't feel up to going to our local diner for his morning coffee and chat with The Rusty Zipper Club ? Not at his house keeping him company and listening to his fascinating stories. I know. I was there. At least most times. And it is their loss.

Thank the Lord for this forum where I can vent and feel safe. Sometimes it helps to put the emotions into words. Otherwise I just might do something I will be sorry for.
4 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

How cruel and sad family members can be sometimes
3 x

honey

Post by honey » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen, You were a GEM of a friend to Walt. No
matter what, Walt treasured your relationship, and while
had nice things that the vultures are picking - I have
the feeling that Walt stored his real treasures in heaven.
He's gone,rip ......he had a friend in you. Priceless.
3 x

Angelflutter

Post by Angelflutter » 4 years ago

So sorry for your loss. Please cherish the happy memories. That is the exact reason why I will not place my mother in a nursing home. I used to work in them when I was much younger and I saw how the nurses and the aides were. I have gotten several fired along the way. Yes, my mother is A LOT of work after her stroke. But she is my mother and as long as there is a breath in me and I am either capable to do things for her myself or employ someone from the outside to help ( under my watchful eyes of course ) she will stay in my home.
2 x

Moderator_Danielle

Post by Moderator_Danielle » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
Walt, my friend of 30+ years is dead. He is, or should I say was, 99 yrs young. He went into the hospital with a fever from an infection. He got up around midnight to go to the bathroom. He had a urinal but you don't get to be that age without being independent. He falls and breaks his arm, his clavicle and gets a concussion or head trauma of some sort. He lays there until almost 6 AM at which time he dies. How can this happen????? The last time I was in the hospital they woke me up at 2 AM to give me something to go to sleep! Just the thought of him lying there in agony makes me furious. So much for his 100th party we had already started planning. RIP Walt.
Wow, I am so sorry to hear about your friend :(. I appreciate your willingness to share something so personal. My prayers to you and all his loved ones.
2 x

Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly » 4 years ago

I work with a lot of elderly clients and this is one of my biggest fears--when they go into the hospital it is a tricky thing. I had a client who was put in a small room and almost forgotten--she needed minimal attention and she got minimal attention. I think we have to make sure that they are surrounded with "eyes and ears" so the staff will be on their toes. The days of thinking that the doctor or the staff is going to just be the Marcus Welby of old days is over. They are not trained as well, they have hectic schedules and I really wonder about supervision.
We buried my Mother because she was not a complainer--kept saying she was having trouble breathing. She told them something was wrong because she had walked three miles a day with her Mall walker friends for 22 years and had been an opera trained singer with four octive range--the breathing discipline is amazaing for these people. Two trips to the emergency room and given antibiotics and an inhaler. She couldn't even get an appointment--my sister called and told them to see her now or she was coming with a lawyer to get the medical files. They agreed to see her and the exrays they had taken in the emergency room hadn't even been opened--well, it was stage four lung cancer and it was rampant through both lungs. She was active and smart and vital at 78. Some number cruncher does the data and if you hit a certain age you are expendable.
From that day forward I have made it my mission to make my elderly annoying patients--I encourage them to complain and insist on attention and to give up being agreeable if they think their body needs attention--I tell them to look those medical personal in the eye and say: "It's my body" and insist on good care. I have made a few rabble rousers out there! You cannot leave your health up to another person anymore. If you are in the hospital you need to ring for help and not be independent. Tragedies like this one boil my blood. He is in his 90s for God's sake--he should have been pampered. I am Mad for you---
3 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

Jewelry Queen I am so very you loss your friend Walt and in such a horrible way. I have to agree with those on here that said it seems to many nurses are not doing their job, I have also witnessed this first hand. I had a cousin who was like a sister to me who passed away 2 years ago from a nurse injecting her with the wrong meds, she was only 58 at the time, she even asked the nurse what she gave her because she was not feeling well right after she gave her the shot and the nurse told her it was the same thing she had been getting but it was not, she was dead within 15 minutes but her sister is the one who found her and when she screamed for help she said there were no nurses to be found for 10 minutes. I hope your friends family goes after that hospital and makes them pay.
1 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

Dragonfly wrote:
4 years ago
I work with a lot of elderly clients and this is one of my biggest fears--when they go into the hospital it is a tricky thing. I had a client who was put in a small room and almost forgotten--she needed minimal attention and she got minimal attention. I think we have to make sure that they are surrounded with "eyes and ears" so the staff will be on their toes. The days of thinking that the doctor or the staff is going to just be the Marcus Welby of old days is over. They are not trained as well, they have hectic schedules and I really wonder about supervision.
We buried my Mother because she was not a complainer--kept saying she was having trouble breathing. She told them something was wrong because she had walked three miles a day with her Mall walker friends for 22 years and had been an opera trained singer with four octive range--the breathing discipline is amazaing for these people. Two trips to the emergency room and given antibiotics and an inhaler. She couldn't even get an appointment--my sister called and told them to see her now or she was coming with a lawyer to get the medical files. They agreed to see her and the exrays they had taken in the emergency room hadn't even been opened--well, it was stage four lung cancer and it was rampant through both lungs. She was active and smart and vital at 78. Some number cruncher does the data and if you hit a certain age you are expendable.
From that day forward I have made it my mission to make my elderly annoying patients--I encourage them to complain and insist on attention and to give up being agreeable if they think their body needs attention--I tell them to look those medical personal in the eye and say: "It's my body" and insist on good care. I have made a few rabble rousers out there! You cannot leave your health up to another person anymore. If you are in the hospital you need to ring for help and not be independent. Tragedies like this one boil my blood. He is in his 90s for God's sake--he should have been pampered. I am Mad for you---
I understand exactly what you are saying dragonfly .
My son is a therapist that works with the elderly he actually got reprimanded at work by a supervisor that said he was spending- too much time with his patients !! Son couldn't believe it and was so angry
4 x