Know I'll take it on the chin but

JewelryQueen

Know I'll take it on the chin but

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

I realize I have posted on this subject before, and will probably stir up a hornets nest but here goes:

Facts from 2017 as published by the Indian Government based on the average family of four

12.35% of the population has an income of $720 USD per year OR LESS (considered poverty level)
45.29% of the population has an income of $1080 USD per year OR Less (considered low income--next is middle class)

I assume these are the target group for the One for One program (not known fact just my opinion from here on)
IF the poverty level folks eat three meals a day and IF they spend ALL their income on food that would be 17 cents available to spend per meal
The low income people did the same it would be 28 cents per meal.

Now I am pretty sure these folks do not eat three meals a day and I m equally sure they don't spend every dime on food but these figures lead me to believe that a breakfast can be had for 10 cents or less-even if it is gruel and soy milk.

Keeping in mind that these figures affect approximately 60% of the population of the country I say "Keep it up One for One!"

That said I still don't want to hear about it every two minutes.

Have at me now....
6 x

Angelflutter

Re: Know I'll take it on the chin but

Post by Angelflutter » 4 years ago

I believe 100% in donating. Hopefully since ShopLC has outragously raised their prices and apparently are going to continue to do so, they will also raise the percentage that they donate. We'll see..... And I agree.... ShopLC doesn't need to continuously bring it up. Once every couple of hours is plenty.
2 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

Thats fine for India. But what about here in America. Where can a HOT MEAL be gotten for 10 cents ?? Especially since it cost about 40% for operating costs so whats left is about 6 cents.
That still great. Every penny helps, but they dont stop trying to get us to buy, buy, buy. For a while they mentioned it a few times a day. Now its non stop. Actually turns viewers off from buying jewelry when the world's sad issues are thrown into their face constantly. I tune into shopping channels to get away from all the terrible things happening. If its mentioned non stop on shoplc, I switch channels.
4 x

honey

Post by honey » 4 years ago

The sister channel in the UK does the same, One for One
in India and the UK
1 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

You both have good points.
I am under the impression that the lion share goes to India however. I think the American portion (and probably UK) is just a token for show
6 x

Gemaholic

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

Vicky wrote:
4 years ago
Thats fine for India. But what about here in America. Where can a HOT MEAL be gotten for 10 cents ?? Especially since it cost about 40% for operating costs so whats left is about 6 cents.
That still great. Every penny helps, but they dont stop trying to get us to buy, buy, buy. For a while they mentioned it a few times a day. Now its non stop. Actually turns viewers off from buying jewelry when the world's sad issues are thrown into their face constantly. I tune into shopping channels to get away from all the terrible things happening. If its mentioned non stop on shoplc, I switch channels.
I totally agree on everything you said! Plus, I wish the ads would show AMERICAN CHILDREN for once!
3 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

Our Government gives FREE hot school lunches to needy kids. Even subsidizes school lunches for kids from middle class homes. So, I think most of the 10 cents goes to India. All thats great. I donate to poor families, but I dont brag about it. Shoplc owners are using HUNGRY KIDS to encourage you to buy items. So let say you buy something for $20. Only 10 cents of the $20 goes to ONE FOR ONE. The rest is profit for Shoplc.
Even that's ok. Whats not ok, is mentioning it non stop like a Jerry Lewis Telethon which was a non for profit. Shoplc is a FOR PROFIT company and shouldnt be pushing their 10 cents contributions down viewers throats every few minutes.
3 x

Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly » 4 years ago

I think all these comments are thoughtful and I was impressed with Jewelry Queen's grasp of the third world reality. When I work with many women they are thinking about our economic system and they automatically think it is cruel that the third world is working for cents and get all enraged. The truth is we were once a third world country and in the journey to being a prominent economic leader, we followed the same pattern. The gateway in to the big bucks is through the cheap manufacturing of goods and when people get enraged about how little they make they don't realize what Jewelry Queen was so clear about--just what does it take to live in these countries? A middle class was created in China this way and to take away the work because it offends our sensibilities would be really cruel. Having said that--I like any money that can be given in charity by this company. The object of any profitable company is to make money--not to feed the world. If it is profitable and hires people to do the work on the phone, in the mail room etc.,it is already doing what it is meant to do. To also take a little and give it to the common good is what I like to see. Giving to the people who most likely are manufacturing the jewelry at low hourly wages because that is what their system supports, is recognizing that they have led to the profitability of this company. I worry about our poor in America too--but we have programs in both the private and public sectors to support that and it is unlikely any Americans are making this jewelry or mining in those mines. What I do think is that it is a sin that there is anyone in the USA that is hungry through no fault of our own. The programs we have and the public figures we have are the ones that have not done enough. Controlling the waste and giving to the ones that need it should be our focus--not if ShopLC gives to the United State. Working at the Cleveland Food bank, I learned how important our big programs are and my dream is that we provide a system that allows our poor rise through the system better so they don't need these programs except for temporary situations. We have the most GDP of the entire world--poor people need jobs that give them dignity and a way out of their situation. India has poor people in an emerging economy--it makes sense that the money goes to them. If I ruled the world--no one would be hungry!
4 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
I realize I have posted on this subject before, and will probably stir up a hornets nest but here goes:

Facts from 2017 as published by the Indian Government based on the average family of four

12.35% of the population has an income of $720 USD per year OR LESS (considered poverty level)
45.29% of the population has an income of $1080 USD per year OR Less (considered low income--next is middle class)

I assume these are the target group for the One for One program (not known fact just my opinion from here on)
IF the poverty level folks eat three meals a day and IF they spend ALL their income on food that would be 17 cents available to spend per meal
The low income people did the same it would be 28 cents per meal.

Now I am pretty sure these folks do not eat three meals a day and I m equally sure they don't spend every dime on food but these figures lead me to believe that a breakfast can be had for 10 cents or less-even if it is gruel and soy milk.

Keeping in mind that these figures affect approximately 60% of the population of the country I say "Keep it up One for One!"

That said I still don't want to hear about it every two minutes.

Have at me now....
Its probably a catch 22 and a vicious circle: have a big family to work especially if its farming, then you have more mouths to feed.
0 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Ive never had an issue with the charity. I honestly dont think its our business but they make it our business. I think charity is done quiety. The thing is, in our society, we think pride is a good thing. Humility and modesty. Thats where its at!
1 x