Tanzanian natronite

Gemsnob

Re: Tanzanian natronite

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
honey wrote:
4 years ago
Will we learn the mohs scale on it? where it's from?
care and cleaning?
Well I hope so. I don’t remember from before and it’s not on the list. Since they are apparently reintroducing it it seems the prudent thing to do.
But I read about the whole thing when they brought it in as Tanzurine. There was a bit of a kerfuffle in the gem community because the guy who found it basically renamed cherry quartz Tanzurine. The speculation, If I recall, was to make money with a catchy name.
The info will still be out there, the internet isn’t written in pencil. So whatever the Mohs hardness is for cherry quartz.
Is this the third name for cherry quartz? Is SLC renaming Tanzurine ? Im confused? Its quartz. Why all the fuss?
1 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
honey wrote:
4 years ago
Will we learn the mohs scale on it? where it's from?
care and cleaning?
Well I hope so. I don’t remember from before and it’s not on the list. Since they are apparently reintroducing it it seems the prudent thing to do.
But I read about the whole thing when they brought it in as Tanzurine. There was a bit of a kerfuffle in the gem community because the guy who found it basically renamed cherry quartz Tanzurine. The speculation, If I recall, was to make money with a catchy name.
The info will still be out there, the internet isn’t written in pencil. So whatever the Mohs hardness is for cherry quartz.
Is this the third name for cherry quartz? Is SLC renaming Tanzurine ? Im confused? Its quartz. Why all the fuss?
Yeah, it’s renamed. I have a ring in Tanzurine and it is the same stone, no doubt. Maybe the name didn’t appeal to people so they’re changing it. It’s quartz, yep. Not dyed or made to look like another gemstone.
2 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

This is a link to the discovery of tanzerine and the man who discovered it. The man who discovered it named it and I believe he trade marked the name: https://www.interweave.com/article/jewe ... -tanzania/
Last edited by Gem Lover 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

CJM

Post by CJM » 4 years ago

Thanks for the info. I googled again. There is a Natrolite from places not even close to Tanzania but it’s not even close to what you described. It has to be something renamed. I found tanzurine on the education page. It’s from Tanzania. But why bother changing the name except to make it look different when it’s not? I didn’t see the tanzurine items when it was on. I’m usually not into opaque stones.
2 x

Moderator_Connor

Post by Moderator_Connor » 4 years ago

Good Afternoon, Everyone!

We have received an update from our teams regarding this stone.

Tanzurine is the trademarked name for a cherry quartz that comes from a specific area of Tanzania. At this time, we no longer hold the license to use the Tanzurine name. Instead, we are carrying cherry quartz from Tanzania as 'Tanzanian Natronite'.

The name Natronite was chosen due to the resemblance between the color of the stone and Lake Natron, a salt water lake in Tanzania. This is similar to diaspore from Turkey. At Shop LC, it is known as Turkizite, but the stone has been sold under various trademarked names over the years.

Additionally, the Education Center will be receiving an update for this stone to accurately reflect the information available.
2 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Moderator_Connor wrote:
4 years ago

Tanzurine is the trademarked name for a cherry quartz that comes from a specific area of Tanzania. At this time, we no longer hold the license to use the Tanzurine name. Instead, we are carrying cherry quartz from Tanzania as 'Tanzanian Natronite'.

The name Natronite was chosen due to the resemblance between the color of the stone and Lake Natron, a salt water lake in Tanzania. This is similar to diaspore from Turkey. At Shop LC, it is known as Turkizite, but the stone has been sold under various trademarked names over the years.

Additionally, the Education Center will be receiving an update for this stone to accurately reflect the information available.
Why not just call it Cherry quartz like you did before?
1 x

CJM

Thank you for the clarification. I might watch the show.
0 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 4 years ago

It's my understanding that up until the Tanzurine find, the cherry quartz and strawberry quartz stones we were accustomed to were man made.
0 x

CJM

I was reading about this further. The article said cherry quartz is man made. Cherry tanzurine is natural. Which are you presenting Sunday? Real natural or man made?
1 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Moderator_Connor wrote:
4 years ago

Under the heading for tomorrow’s show in the program guide “Tanzanian Natronite” when you pull up the items upcoming in those shows, the items are labeled Tanzurine.
I took screenshots if needed.

And they are the same items, most of them, shown months ago.
0 x