Tanzanian natronite

CJM

Tanzanian natronite

Post by CJM » 4 years ago

This gemstone is on the Sunday afternoon schedule. What is it? I googled it but what I found doesn’t correspond with Tanzania. It’s not in the education section either.
3 x

Gemsnob

Re: Tanzanian natronite

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

CJM wrote:
4 years ago
This gemstone is on the Sunday afternoon schedule. What is it? I googled it but what I found doesn’t correspond with Tanzania. It’s not in the education section either.
To me, it looks like the same quartz that Cheryl "discovered" last year and they were calling Tanzerine.
4 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
CJM wrote:
4 years ago
To me, it looks like the same quartz that Cheryl "discovered" last year and they were calling Tanzerine.
Yeah the picture I saw looked like a quartz
2 x

Shop4joy

Post by Shop4joy » 4 years ago

Hey, CjM.

It looks the same to me as well.
I agree, with Gemsnob.
1 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
CJM wrote:
4 years ago
I’m positive that’s what it is. In the promo the parts showing the rough are the same as they were when it was Tanzurine.

I have a ring in it.

It’s cherry quartz.
3 x

honey

Post by honey » 4 years ago

Will we learn the mohs scale on it? where it's from?
care and cleaning?
2 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

honey wrote:
4 years ago
care and cleaning?
Well I hope so. I don’t remember from before and it’s not on the list. Since they are apparently reintroducing it it seems the prudent thing to do.
But I read about the whole thing when they brought it in as Tanzurine. There was a bit of a kerfuffle in the gem community because the guy who found it basically renamed cherry quartz Tanzurine. The speculation, If I recall, was to make money with a catchy name.
The info will still be out there, the internet isn’t written in pencil. So whatever the Mohs hardness is for cherry quartz.
3 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
honey wrote:
4 years ago
care and cleaning?
Well I hope so. I don’t remember from before and it’s not on the list. Since they are apparently reintroducing it it seems the prudent thing to do.
But I read about the whole thing when they brought it in as Tanzurine. There was a bit of a kerfuffle in the gem community because the guy who found it basically renamed cherry quartz Tanzurine. The speculation, If I recall, was to make money with a catchy name.
The info will still be out there, the internet isn’t written in pencil. So whatever the Mohs hardness is for cherry quartz.
Online it says Mohs is 5-6
2 x

2Blonde

Post by 2Blonde » 4 years ago

New names bring new money. SLC figured that out years ago.
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

2Blonde wrote:
4 years ago
New names bring new money. SLC figured that out years ago.
True!
There are posts about it here. If they haven’t gone POOF. put “Tanzurine” in the search bar for the forum and maybe you’ll find them.
1 x