Moroccan ruby

Gemsnob

Re: Moroccan ruby

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Just do an internet search for corundum and silk inclusions. They are a form of rutile and extremely common in corundum. In fact, its one way to tell natural from lab created. Heat treating removes some of them as well as ff. The hosts probably dont have the time to teach all of this. The internet is full of info but the GIA is considered the Bible of gemologists. Its where they get certified.
2 x

Gemsnob

Also, many collectors will search out untreated or unheated sapphires a d ruby with perfect clarity just because silk IS so common. Its like emerald having inclusions. You just expect it. Collecters will pay A Lot percarrat for untreated corundum.
3 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Just do an internet search for corundum and silk inclusions. They are a form of rutile and extremely common in corundum. In fact, its one way to tell natural from lab created. Heat treating removes some of them as well as ff. The hosts probably dont have the time to teach all of this. The internet is full of info but the GIA is considered the Bible of gemologists. Its where they get certified.
Thank you for the information
Really appreciate it. 🤗
1 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

But silk looks different then the fissure filled cracks and what I saw on one of the rings did not look like silk. Also if there is to much silk it effects the clarity of the stone. The Indian rubies I have are nice but very opaque and I did have to send a few back before getting ones I liked as far as color and no eye visible silk.
1 x

Gemsnob

Gem Lover wrote:
4 years ago
But silk looks different then the fissure filled cracks and what I saw on one of the rings did not look like silk. Also if there is to much silk it effects the clarity of the stone. The Indian rubies I have are nice but very opaque and I did have to send a few back before getting ones I liked as far as color and no eye visible silk.
Im not watching so I cannot say. I just replied to try explain what silk is. I have never seen good quality ie clear corundum that is not ff offered on SLC or any network that is affordable unless it is set in 14 kt or higher.. Indian ruby is almost always large ct weight but for the most part opaque. People decide what the trade off is. Do they want good color and a large stone or better clarity and a smaller size?
2 x

Shop4joy

Post by Shop4joy » 4 years ago

Hello.
Silk, can also effect the 'value' of the stone.
I agree, with Gemsnob on all points.
It does become a' trade off'!
2 x

Spooky

Post by Spooky » 4 years ago

Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago
CJM wrote:
4 years ago
Are those lines you see on close up shots a sign of fissure fill? I don’t know. I’ve noticed those streaks on many close shots of many different gems. Even the Burmese ruby stones. I’ve often wondered what it was. Can a moderator answer this question? I don’t see the streaks when I get an item but then eye sight is not 25x magnification either !
I asked the hosts and they answered that it was natural characteristic and it was called silk (think that's the word I heard) not FF
Just for information: the ‘silk’ can also be caused
By the ff treatment. Beware. Buy only what you
love and stay away from ultrasonic cleaners
2 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

Spooky wrote:
4 years ago
Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago
CJM wrote:
4 years ago
Are those lines you see on close up shots a sign of fissure fill? I don’t know. I’ve noticed those streaks on many close shots of many different gems. Even the Burmese ruby stones. I’ve often wondered what it was. Can a moderator answer this question? I don’t see the streaks when I get an item but then eye sight is not 25x magnification either !
I asked the hosts and they answered that it was natural characteristic and it was called silk (think that's the word I heard) not FF
Just for information: the ‘silk’ can also be caused
By the ff treatment. Beware. Buy only what you
love and stay away from ultrasonic cleaners
Thanks Spooky !
Oh yeah absolutely !! Both Karen & Shawn stated all thru the presentation that the Ruby was all natural , not FF but I would never use ultrasonic cleaner on anything I own.
1 x

Gemaholic

Post by Gemaholic » 4 years ago

Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago
CJM wrote:
4 years ago
I just started watching the presentations for Moroccan ruby so I don’t know anything about this stone. Can someone fill me in please? Like, what region it’s from and so on?
I only know what the hosts have stated on air this morning
All natural, no F.F. , from Morocco , florescent. Only heat treated
All rubies fluoresce, not just certain types.
1 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

They might have said they are all natural but every single host said that about the Burmese Ruby and that was a lie, we all now know that they fissure fill them to. I brought one of mine in to the jeweler and they told me my Burmese Ruby was in fact fissure filled and very poor quality so I called CS and they told me yes some are filled and some are not so you have to call to find out if the one you want is or not, I told them each ring should have it in the description of the item. I sent it back and got a refund but my point is I no longer trust the host when they tell us it is not fissure filled.
3 x