Everything Is Fine

Gypsy

Re: Everything Is Fine

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

My heartfelt prayers continue for each and everyone of you caring for a loved one whether you have posted or are just reading. It's hard for me to read without reliving memories that are painful but yet it helps. I was the the caregiver for my elderly father in law after a bad car accident. My husband was one of 9 children so there should've been alot of help....there wasnt. I tried to help my aging mother but that relationship has been destroyed. Even though it feels like yesterday, years ago, I spent 3 months in a hospital room far away from my home and other child( who stayed with my best friend )while I helplessly watched my 5 year old son die. Thank god my husband & I had each other then. And had to be strong for other young son
I've got over 30 years experience fighting the VA
arguing about treatments , fighting for treatments,
begging for vouchers and then finally having to spend the last 3 months of my husband's life the exact same way I spent my youngest sons Sitting helplessly in a hospital room holding his hand. My son and my husband died 26 years and 1 day of each other. There are two days in a certain month that I still dont cope well with. So when I tell you that I understand how truly hard this is for you and how exhausted I know you are and how extremely lucky that each of us that we have been able to talk here ...just being able to share is helpful . I truly mean it. This support that has grown between friends here is so amazing.
My point to telling you this is that when I lost my husband and my eldest had to fly home I was completely alone and had no one to talk to. The one person I tried to talk to said and this is exact quote
"Dont worry you'll find someone new" this was said to me less than one week after my husband died.
I didnt try to talk to anyone about how sad I was again.
I will continue to pray for each of you πŸ™πŸ’œπŸ™πŸ’œπŸ™
4 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

Gypsy wrote: ↑
4 years ago
My heartfelt prayers continue for each and everyone of you caring for a loved one whether you have posted or are just reading. It's hard for me to read without reliving memories that are painful but yet it helps. I was the the caregiver for my elderly father in law after a bad car accident. My husband was one of 9 children so there should've been alot of help....there wasnt. I tried to help my aging mother but that relationship has been destroyed. Even though it feels like yesterday, years ago, I spent 3 months in a hospital room far away from my home and other child( who stayed with my best friend )while I helplessly watched my 5 year old son die. Thank god my husband & I had each other then. And had to be strong for other young son
begging for vouchers and then finally having to spend the last 3 months of my husband's life the exact same way I spent my youngest sons Sitting helplessly in a hospital room holding his hand. My son and my husband died 26 years and 1 day of each other. There are two days in a certain month that I still dont cope well with. So when I tell you that I understand how truly hard this is for you and how exhausted I know you are and how extremely lucky that each of us that we have been able to talk here ...just being able to share is helpful . I truly mean it. This support that has grown between friends here is so amazing.
My point to telling you this is that when I lost my husband and my eldest had to fly home I was completely alone and had no one to talk to. The one person I tried to talk to said and this is exact quote
"Dont worry you'll find someone new" this was said to me less than one week after my husband died.
@Gypsy I read slowly then reread your post and I truly feel the pain you have from losing your dear son and husband. It's raw and I feel my own pain when I read it from losing my husband and being completely helpless as he slipped away over five months of diagnosis with terminal cancer. His family (mom and dad and sister) came to see him twice. I had no one to help me except my mom who was angel to have to confide in but limited with helping. Please allow me to share my story with you to relate how I may understand, a little, how you might feel...
After my husband died, I had the most insensitive comments made to me that I will never forget and I get angry thinking about it. After one week, I was in my room crying hard for my husband, wailing, and my mom came in and told me "You need to get over this." --- I was stunned and I wanted to plow into her but I didn't. I was so angry at her for so long. Then my brother came for the funeral, and I absentmindedly said, "I just wish I had one more minute with him," -- and my brother said, "Why? You knew he was going to die." -- it made me hate him (I don't) but at that moment - I hated his guts. My family is by nature cold - and I always said I was the black sheep because I'm all emotion and they look down on it. They treat me as crazy if I cry. I just closed off and didn't speak with anyone and started grieving alone.

I had my husband's memorial two weeks after he passed and all my neighbors attended except next door to me who my husband and I were somewhat close with. My husband did things for them all the time - helped them with installing appliances, repairs (he could do anything) heavy lifting of things, etc. We would bbq and bring them some...etc. They called me the day before and apologized that they couldn't attend the memorial as they had already planned a home jewelry party. A jewelry party. Now, they didn't know when he would pass - but it was pretty obvious - regardless - a party was indecent in his last days. (our houses are very close in proximity). After the memorial, I had a lot of family and friends come to my house to be with me and visit (most were from out of town/out of State about 30+people) and eat all the food that I had received that I couldn't possibly eat. When we drove up to my house, there were cars parked up and down the street, in front of my house, and people were in their yard, laughing and having a good time. My family/friends didn't have a place to park except in my front yard then that wasn't enough. It was horrible and a nightmare! I will never forget it. A full blown party. They knew my husband was dying a hard death, and was at his end and needed quiet and peace, but they thought they wanted to throw a party? My other neighbors who attended were disgusted and embarrassed for me as well. They offered their yards to park (which meant damaging their lawn - I offered to have it repaired but all said no). The insensitivity to my neighbors damaged our relationship forever. They KNEW they had done wrong but they never apologized and I barely saw them again. Just a wave from our driveway here and there.

People never cease to amaze me at how self-serving and insensitive they are. @Gypsy I shared the above to let you know, I too, understand the slights people act when you are in your most deepest pain. It makes things worse and it's ugly. It rips your soul apart. But please know that I somewhat (I won't say I "know" but I get it) understand your pain by relating it to mine. All I can say is that I'm deeply sorrowful for your loss of your son and husband and your pain. You NEVER get over it. To say so by others is insensitive and wrong. You only learn to cope with it. No matter how long ago it happened, it still as if it just happened....always. Its a place in time that doesn't distance itself.

Gypsy, thank you for sharing.... I too believe the more you talk about this the more it sorts out in your heart. Trust is hard to build back - and there's always a worry of some insensitive person making light of it. I'm here for you and anyone here. I've been to the dark side and I'm here.

I wish I could sit with you for the afternoon over hot tea and just visit and share/laugh/cry. (((HUGS)))
4 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote: ↑
4 years ago
Gypsy wrote: ↑
4 years ago
@Gypsy I read slowly then reread your post and I truly feel the pain you have from losing your dear son and husband. It's raw and I feel my own pain when I read it from losing my husband and being completely helpless as he slipped away over five months of diagnosis with terminal cancer. His family (mom and dad and sister) came to see him twice. I had no one to help me except my mom who was angel to have to confide in but limited with helping. Please allow me to share my story with you to relate how I may understand, a little, how you might feel...
After my husband died, I had the most insensitive comments made to me that I will never forget and I get angry thinking about it. After one week, I was in my room crying hard for my husband, wailing, and my mom came in and told me "You need to get over this." --- I was stunned and I wanted to plow into her but I didn't. I was so angry at her for so long. Then my brother came for the funeral, and I absentmindedly said, "I just wish I had one more minute with him," -- and my brother said, "Why? You knew he was going to die." -- it made me hate him (I don't) but at that moment - I hated his guts. My family is by nature cold - and I always said I was the black sheep because I'm all emotion and they look down on it. They treat me as crazy if I cry. I just closed off and didn't speak with anyone and started grieving alone.

I had my husband's memorial two weeks after he passed and all my neighbors attended except next door to me who my husband and I were somewhat close with. My husband did things for them all the time - helped them with installing appliances, repairs (he could do anything) heavy lifting of things, etc. We would bbq and bring them some...etc. They called me the day before and apologized that they couldn't attend the memorial as they had already planned a home jewelry party. A jewelry party. Now, they didn't know when he would pass - but it was pretty obvious - regardless - a party was indecent in his last days. (our houses are very close in proximity). After the memorial, I had a lot of family and friends come to my house to be with me and visit (most were from out of town/out of State about 30+people) and eat all the food that I had received that I couldn't possibly eat. When we drove up to my house, there were cars parked up and down the street, in front of my house, and people were in their yard, laughing and having a good time. My family/friends didn't have a place to park except in my front yard then that wasn't enough. It was horrible and a nightmare! I will never forget it. A full blown party. They knew my husband was dying a hard death, and was at his end and needed quiet and peace, but they thought they wanted to throw a party? My other neighbors who attended were disgusted and embarrassed for me as well. They offered their yards to park (which meant damaging their lawn - I offered to have it repaired but all said no). The insensitivity to my neighbors damaged our relationship forever. They KNEW they had done wrong but they never apologized and I barely saw them again. Just a wave from our driveway here and there.

People never cease to amaze me at how self-serving and insensitive they are. @Gypsy I shared the above to let you know, I too, understand the slights people act when you are in your most deepest pain. It makes things worse and it's ugly. It rips your soul apart. But please know that I somewhat (I won't say I "know" but I get it) understand your pain by relating it to mine. All I can say is that I'm deeply sorrowful for your loss of your son and husband and your pain. You NEVER get over it. To say so by others is insensitive and wrong. You only learn to cope with it. No matter how long ago it happened, it still as if it just happened....always. Its a place in time that doesn't distance itself.

Gypsy, thank you for sharing.... I too believe the more you talk about this the more it sorts out in your heart. Trust is hard to build back - and there's always a worry of some insensitive person making light of it. I'm here for you and anyone here. I've been to the dark side and I'm here.

I wish I could sit with you for the afternoon over hot tea and just visit and share/laugh/cry. (((HUGS)))
Me too πŸ₯ΊπŸ₯ΊπŸ₯Ί ❣
3 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

Gypsy & OSOTT,
I don't have the words to express the horror of how you both were treated by the insensitive few when you needed compassion the most. It's inexcusable & I'm so sorry you have had to live through such tragedy. My heart goes out to you both. Some people just don't seem to deserve the air they breathe.

Sadly, I know SueB has just recently been treated this way by neighbors.
Hugs to everyoneπŸ’ž
5 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

I still have not told my See's Saga Story, which I shall try to do as soon as possible.

You all remember how much I was looking forward to them, right?

Keep that in mind...

I'll fill you in on what happened.
πŸ™„πŸ˜–πŸ˜‘πŸ˜’
4 x

Hot4TENER

Post by Hot4TENER » 4 years ago

Catticus wrote: ↑
4 years ago
I still have not told my See's Saga Story, which I shall try to do as soon as possible.

Keep that in mind...

πŸ™„πŸ˜–πŸ˜‘πŸ˜’
I was out west for MLK weekend and saw aSee’s. We were going to dinner, but I made hubby stop so I could see what the fuss was about. Manager found out I was from Ohio and never had their candy, so he kept INSISTING that we try numerous samples!!! Of course we bought some and I only ate half my dinner!
🀣
3 x

Catticus

Hot4TENER wrote: ↑
4 years ago
4 years ago

Keep that in mind...

πŸ™„πŸ˜–πŸ˜‘πŸ˜’
I was out west for MLK weekend and saw aSee’s. We were going to dinner, but I made hubby stop so I could see what the fuss was about. Manager found out I was from Ohio and never had their candy, so he kept INSISTING that we try numerous samples!!! Of course we bought some and I only ate half my dinner!
🀣
Ohhhhh! What pieces did you try! I have my favorites!

Was the store black and white tile floors, with black trim and white walls?! I love those brown wrappers they come in! And that crinkling sound when they reach to get your pieces out of the drawers!

I couldn't work there. Wellllll...I'd be good at it, but it would not be good for me!

When you work with/for doctors, they and the staff get lots of See's boxes from patients. And when your best friend's father is a doctor and saves his gifts of See's in a freezer just for you and your sis, well...you learn which one is what!

It's embarrassing to be the one person they buzz to come out of her office to go into a section of the suites...to tell staff and doctors what is "in" each piece.
πŸ˜•

Yes, me. Humiliating!

Buzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Yes?

"WE NEED YOU OVER HERE."

Okay.

Big huge box on the counter with sometimes doctors and other times staff muttering over it:

"Which one is that?" "What one is that?"

Well, do you like marshmallow?

Caramel?

Both? Together? Then pick that round tall one. It's a Scotchmallow.

Do you ike nuts? No? Then do NOT pick that one.

Do you like butterscotch? Yes? Too bad. It's mine.

Do you like walnut pieces with green and red cherries? And rum? That's the Rum Nougat. It's the one we all bit into as children and then said EEWWWWWWWWW and spit it out. But they're good, at least I like them now. But if they'd take the walnuts out they'd be better.

Oh and no bites to see what they are. USE THIS KNIFE.

Those are all caramels.

Oh that? They sometimes put two in a standard box, but usually only one. It's buttercream. Called a Chocolate Butter. But you can't have it. It's mine. So is that Mocha you're reaching for.

I don't do this for free.

Do you like Bordeauxs? They're...okay. (Thinking: "Don't ya toucccch it!")

Oh, these are wonderful...Almonds? Pecans?

(Steering them clear of my favorites)!
πŸ˜‚
Last edited by Catticus 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

4 years ago
4 years ago
4 years ago

Keep that in mind...

πŸ™„πŸ˜–πŸ˜‘πŸ˜’
🀣

Was the store black and white tile floors an paint?!
And the candy counter ladies in white β€œnurses uniforms”?
We have a SEE’s in our mall...stores are always the same so are the employee uniforms.
Has been for as long as I can remember going to See’s as a young young child.
3 x

Catticus

Yesssssss! Except now the counter isn't as tall! 🀣
2 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

4 years ago
4 years ago
4 years ago

Keep that in mind...

πŸ™„πŸ˜–πŸ˜‘πŸ˜’
🀣

Was the store black and white tile floors, with black trim and white walls?! I love those brown wrappers they come in! And that crinkling sound when they reach to get your pieces out of the drawers!

I couldn't work there. Wellllll...I'd be good at it, but it would not be good for me!

When you work with/for doctors, they and the staff get lots of See's boxes from patients. And when your best friend's father is a doctor and saves his gifts of See's in a freezer just for you and your sis, well...you learn which one is what!

It's embarrassing to be the one person they buzz to come out of her office to go into a section of the suites...to tell staff and doctors what is "in" each piece.
πŸ˜•

Yes, me. Humiliating!

Buzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Yes?

"WE NEED YOU OVER HERE."

Okay.

Big huge box on the counter with sometimes doctors and other times staff muttering over it:

"Which one is that?" "What one is that?"

Well, do you like marshmallow?

Caramel?

Both? Together? Then pick that round tall one. It's a Scotchmallow.

Do you ike nuts? No? Then do NOT pick that one.

Do you like butterscotch? Yes? Too bad. It's mine.

Do you like walnut pieces with green and red cherries? And rum? That's the Rum Nougat. It's the one we all bit into as children and then said EEWWWWWWWWW and spit it out. But they're good, at least I like them now. But if they'd take the walnuts out they'd be better.

Oh and no bites to see what they are. USE THIS KNIFE.

Those are all caramels.

Oh that? They sometimes put two in a standard box, but usually only one. It's buttercream. Called a Chocolate Butter. But you can't have it. It's mine. So is that Mocha you're reaching for.

I don't do this for free.

Do you like Bordeauxs? They're...okay. (Thinking: "Don't ya toucccch it!")

Oh, these are wonderful...Almonds? Pecans?

(Steering them clear of my favorites)!
πŸ˜‚
Cat...my Grandma was a candy maker for See’s for years. The swirls or toppings indicate what’s inside.
I used to know them all by heart. Not so much anymore since I rarely do sugar now. But the memories...yummmm,.....
3 x