Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

YES!

They started in California in the 20’s and while primarily still here they have been nationwide for some time. There was a time that you couldn’t go to a major strip center or mall in the south land that didn’t have a See’s.

I like their candies. However...I also like Russell Stover as well, their higher end chocolates. I think they are less sweet.

I have the original See’s fudge recipe and have made it since I was a small girl. Even using the soft ball method, no candy thermometer.
Grandma was a candy maker for See’s and “somehow” we ended up with that recipe!
I'm so jealous!!!. I've never been able to master fudge making ☹ I cheat and use microwave recipe 🙄🙄🙄
I haven't tried to make any in years. Have a good friend who makes bunches of chocolate & peanut butter both every Christmas & loves to share. Bless her heart, it's not very good but I always ooooo & aaaah over it...it's the thought that counts! No worries about calories if I don't eat any!
I could never get mine to harden it simply stayed gooey everytime 😳
1 x

Blossom

Re: Everything Is Fine

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago

I'm so jealous!!!. I've never been able to master fudge making ☹ I cheat and use microwave recipe 🙄🙄🙄
I haven't tried to make any in years. Have a good friend who makes bunches of chocolate & peanut butter both every Christmas & loves to share. Bless her heart, it's not very good but I always ooooo & aaaah over it...it's the thought that counts! No worries about calories if I don't eat any!
Had that same problem more times than not! Probably why I rarely try anymore. I do have better luck w/fantasy fudge recipe on back of marshmallow cream jar. Someone gave me recipe using substitutes to make it with peanut butter (which is my favorite)! Almost tried again this past Christmas but decided I end up eating way more than I should!
3 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago

Had that same problem more times than not! Probably why I rarely try anymore. I do have better luck w/fantasy fudge recipe on back of marshmallow cream jar. Someone gave me recipe using substitutes to make it with peanut butter (which is my favorite)! Almost tried again this past Christmas but decided I end up eating way more than I should!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I've used that one too !!!!
3 x

Hot4TENER

Post by Hot4TENER » 4 years ago

Catticus wrote:
4 years ago
Hot4TENER wrote:
4 years ago
Catticus wrote:
4 years ago
I still have not told my See's Saga Story, which I shall try to do as soon as possible.

You all remember how much I was looking forward to them, right?

Keep that in mind...

I'll fill you in on what happened.
🙄😖😑😒
I was out west for MLK weekend and saw aSee’s. We were going to dinner, but I made hubby stop so I could see what the fuss was about. Manager found out I was from Ohio and never had their candy, so he kept INSISTING that we try numerous samples!!! Of course we bought some and I only ate half my dinner!
🤣
Ohhhhh! What pieces did you try! I have my favorites!

Was the store black and white tile floors, with black trim and white walls?! I love those brown wrappers they come in! And that crinkling sound when they reach to get your pieces out of the drawers!

I couldn't work there. Wellllll...I'd be good at it, but it would not be good for me!

When you work with/for doctors, they and the staff get lots of See's boxes from patients. And when your best friend's father is a doctor and saves his gifts of See's in a freezer just for you and your sis, well...you learn which one is what!

It's embarrassing to be the one person they buzz to come out of her office to go into a section of the suites...to tell staff and doctors what is "in" each piece.
😕

Yes, me. Humiliating!

Buzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Yes?

"WE NEED YOU OVER HERE."

Okay.

Big huge box on the counter with sometimes doctors and other times staff muttering over it:

"Which one is that?" "What one is that?"

Well, do you like marshmallow?

Caramel?

Both? Together? Then pick that round tall one. It's a Scotchmallow.

Do you ike nuts? No? Then do NOT pick that one.

Do you like butterscotch? Yes? Too bad. It's mine.

Do you like walnut pieces with green and red cherries? And rum? That's the Rum Nougat. It's the one we all bit into as children and then said EEWWWWWWWWW and spit it out. But they're good, at least I like them now. But if they'd take the walnuts out they'd be better.

Oh and no bites to see what they are. USE THIS KNIFE.

Those are all caramels.

Oh that? They sometimes put two in a standard box, but usually only one. It's buttercream. Called a Chocolate Butter. But you can't have it. It's mine. So is that Mocha you're reaching for.

I don't do this for free.

Do you like Bordeauxs? They're...okay. (Thinking: "Don't ya toucccch it!")

Oh, these are wonderful...Almonds? Pecans?

(Steering them clear of my favorites)!
😂
Been out all day. Just got home. I don't remember the exact names of what we tried, but my favorite was a chocolate covered thick toffee, like a thick heath bar, but no comparison. Something gooey dark chocolate with pecans & caramel, peanut butter patties, hmmm... i can't remember what the lady offered as soon as we walked in, b4 we met the manager. But it was all delicious! So we bought our own mixed box of all of the above. You are so funny about being the candy tester for the Dr.'s office!!! I'd like that job
4 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
4 years ago
I've never heard of See's candies until now. Has my life been half lived?
OSOTT you are not alone. I also have never heard of See's before this forum. You & I both must live a sheltered life!
:lol: :lol: @Blossom apparently so! :lol: :lol: I just checked locations and there are very few in the South so I guess that's the reason! But now I'm very curious. How can I live a fulfilled life without knowing what it tastes like? :lol: I don't eat a lot of candy, but I want to try it!

@RS - can you sell "grandma's candy" on Hawkin's Cove? :D :D :idea:
Pretty sure I can’t sell it (in Cal. I would need to make it in a commercial kitchen)..

BUT....Nothing that says I can’t give it to my fave friends as a gift with order!!
3 x