Gone Again

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Re: Gone Again

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

Hey everyone!

I want to thank you for posting about cellphones in the hospital since it prompted me to ask about this rule at the nurses station. The entire hospital (except the lobby - maybe other places I don't know) has little framed signs that say "No Cellphone Use" - So I asked about it.

The nurses and others at the station discussed it with me at length and it was informative. They said the hospital decided the signs were to encourage not to use cell phone (they won't kick you out if you do) but to discourage folks from walking the halls and talking (loudly), or even a group of family/friends standing outside of rooms talking loudly/laughing/arguing whatever... and it disturbs other patients in other rooms are very sick, resting or speaking with doctors, maybe at end of life ...and disrupts nurses, assistants, doctors who need to communicate to patients in a quiet room where the patient is focused. They said (in past experience) some people don't know how to be proper and respectful while on the phone and will have long conversations about anything other than the patient. They said that patients often get confused as they don't retain or remember what someone tells them (dr./nurse) because their family/friend is on the phone while they are there. They gave an example of a large family that came to visit their grandmother and the grandkids, nephews/nieces were talking on the cellphones, playing games on their phones and just acting like they were at a park outside her room - which disturbed other patients.

So I get it. They told me they had no problem with me using my cellphone. I feel kinda dumb that I didn't think to ask about this. Mom's been in this hospital before and I didn't use my cellphone then! :shock: :roll: I'm more than likely will just "like" posts more than comment because someone is always entering the room...and I hate typing on a phone. This post took me forever! :lol: BUT now I can watch SLC on my phone and at least "like" posts or make short comments!

So thank you everyone for helping me out!
5 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Thank you for checking in!

They just basically want quiet...I don’t think they care at all if you are texting and using the internet.

Take care.

How is Mom?
How are you?
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
4 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

RS wrote:
4 years ago

They just basically want quiet...I don’t think they care at all if you are texting and using the internet.

Take care.

How is Mom?
How are you?
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Mom's vitals and kidney function has improved. Hydrating her helped with that. Her appetite has improved a little. She looks and talks more alert although she is sleeping a lot. She's getting antibiotics but we are waiting (hopefully today but probably tomorrow) for her culture to grow so they know exactly the bacteria it is so that they can prescribe the right antibiotic. We have done this before (twice and adjusted) but mom gets other infections... they say possibly from catheter or her bladder is not fully emptying - which even though they did a test for that - not "all" is emptying which means - in time she will get sick again and back to square one. She is resistant to many antibiotics which is the problem.

I'm just hanging out - asking questions - taking notes (I'm a notetaker). Watching the impeachment and SLC on my phone/listening to podcasts/music using my airpods so not to disturb mom and anyone else. Being home last night really gave me renewed strength. They have a nice comfortable chair and the room is beautiful with floor to high ceiling windows (with shades if you want to use) so I also daydream/pray as I look out over the city. Mom is in isolation, so leaving the room is a pain because you have to wear paper suits/masks/gloves and leaving it behind in a disposal bin then on return, putting on new ones before you enter. I don't wear gloves since I don't touch mom or her equipment.

Thank you for asking! Hope your day is going great!

Oh and making sure everything is wiped down with lysol wipes.
5 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

Take care.

How is Mom?
How are you?
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Mom's vitals and kidney function has improved. Hydrating her helped with that. Her appetite has improved a little. She looks and talks more alert although she is sleeping a lot. She's getting antibiotics but we are waiting (hopefully today but probably tomorrow) for her culture to grow so they know exactly the bacteria it is so that they can prescribe the right antibiotic. We have done this before (twice and adjusted) but mom gets other infections... they say possibly from catheter or her bladder is not fully emptying - which even though they did a test for that - not "all" is emptying which means - in time she will get sick again and back to square one. She is resistant to many antibiotics which is the problem.

I'm just hanging out - asking questions - taking notes (I'm a notetaker). Watching the impeachment and SLC on my phone/listening to podcasts/music using my airpods so not to disturb mom and anyone else. Being home last night really gave me renewed strength. They have a nice comfortable chair and the room is beautiful with floor to high ceiling windows (with shades if you want to use) so I also daydream/pray as I look out over the city. Mom is in isolation, so leaving the room is a pain because you have to wear paper suits/masks/gloves and leaving it behind in a disposal bin then on return, putting on new ones before you enter. I don't wear gloves since I don't touch mom or her equipment.

Sounds like a nice hospital. We have an exclusive one like that here too. Both hubby and I have used it but both for elective procedures.
Your mom sounds like she is in really good hands, between you and the docs. Although I KNOW you will be keeping up on them! I would!
You are the BEST of daughters. Simply the best! I only hope one day that if I am in need like this that my girl will be there. Since hubby is 12 years older and son is disabled it would be her I would turn to.
I will remember YOU if/when that time comes...I will tell my daughter that I want her to be like YOU!
Although she most likely will be..,I hope.

My day is fine. I still have not heard about my issues with SLC and frankly don’t expect to. Their loss. But in the grand scheme of life they are minuscule. Just a nuisance now.
I have so much to be thankful for.
You and mom take care.
Keep me posted❣️❣️❣️❣️
Hawkins and Giacomo say WHEEEEEEE🦜🦜🦜🦜🦜
5 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

RS wrote:
4 years ago
OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

Take care.

How is Mom?
How are you?
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Sounds like a nice hospital. We have an exclusive one like that here too. Both hubby and I have used it but both for elective procedures.
Your mom sounds like she is in really good hands, between you and the docs. Although I KNOW you will be keeping up on them! I would!
You are the BEST of daughters. Simply the best! I only hope one day that if I am in need like this that my girl will be there. Since hubby is 12 years older and son is disabled it would be her I would turn to.
I will remember YOU if/when that time comes...I will tell my daughter that I want her to be like YOU!
Although she most likely will be..,I hope.

My day is fine. I still have not heard about my issues with SLC and frankly don’t expect to. Their loss. But in the grand scheme of life they are minuscule. Just a nuisance now.
I have so much to be thankful for.
You and mom take care.
Keep me posted❣️❣️❣️❣️
Hawkins and Giacomo say WHEEEEEEE🦜🦜🦜🦜🦜
Oh @RS - Your post may be one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me! My own family has never said anything like that! Thank you! Caring for mom is something I can't imagine not doing - and your daughter will be the same way. Just like you had your children out of love and took care of them as children and even as adults - your daughter will have the same nurturing spirit to care for you if that time comes. It is about being a nurturer by nature - I think. I've cared for animals to who needed a friend and rehomed. Countless dogs and cats. I raised an entire litter of newborns and couldn't find homes for them so I kept them and now I only have four of them left (they are 14)...I learned and grew as a person because of them...namely, patience and love.

Your daughter will be there for you without a doubt. As caring as you are on this forum, I can only imagine having you in real life in person. I recall that you made a fajita bar for your roofers! WOW, I thought! That was so nice and generous! You are a natural nurturer and good things will always come to you (imo) because of the goodness and love you give to others. You taught this to your daughter too.
1 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Please give Hawkins and Giacomo a "WWHEEEEEEE!!" back at them with much love from me!
1 x