4 years ago
OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
4 years ago
honey wrote:
4 years ago
Good morning OSOTT, I'm a little 'jellie' about your
weather report!!! :D
I decided on meatloaf and mash today. sumpting good
on the side too, just a matter of choice.
Stay busy about your day and I hope that your mom
gets to feeling better too.
Good morning Honey! Yum, I love meat loaf! I cooked one a couple of weeks ago and thought to myself, I need to make this more often! I like to make a meatloaf sandwich with leftovers!

Staying busy is my middle name. lol There's never enough time in the day. Thank you about mom! I want her to feel better too! Bless her heart. My mom was/is (she can't cook now) the best cook in the South. I'm not even kidding. Old-style, from scratch, cook. What's funny, is she will tell me what my meals need. She has one of those palettes that can distinguish ingredients/herbs/flavors to a "t" - "Next time, add rosemary" - lol. Imma listening too.
OSOTT, I hope that your mom can sit up a bit in the
kitchen and watch you cook a bit. :)
I can not tell ya how often I watched my gramma's
and my mom and my aunts cooking and did I ever
learn a lot! My loved ones are gone, but there is
a connection with them just by tinkering around
the ol' kitchen.
Yes, same here! I also have treasured iron skillets (one only used for cornbread) that was my grandmas then my mom now mine. I wish I had a dollar for every cornbread made in that skillet. I have mom's bean pot too that I can't live without and she said she got it from her aunt, my great aunt. Those alone gives me a connection that is so comforting when I cook. My aunts were good cooks too! My mom had four sisters who were very close, and the "sisters" would meet up at one of their houses to "can" goods, make donuts and jellies, make meals for everyone to take home etc. They had a blast doing this and I was a child and just hung out with them licking bowls, stringing beans, shelling peas etc.
5 x

honey

Re: It was quiet last night

Post by honey » 4 years ago

Those were the days my friend, I'd thought they'd
never end!!!
ha Recipes and cookware!!!! :lol:
5 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

Hi OSOTT,
You seem really busy, yet you seem to make the best out of a tough situation. You talking about your Moms cooking, brought back so many treasured memories of my moms cooking. She never wrote anything down. I wasted alot of time helping her in the kitchen but foolishly not writing down her recipes. My kids claim they love my cooking. I know its SO SO compared to my moms.
Thanks for sharing and bringing back those “ DELICIOUS” memories🥣🤎
Hope your mom feels better 🙏🏻
6 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

I am jealous of those of you with warm weather, I have had freezing rain, rain, snow and sleet for 3 days now, they had to call in crews from other states and Canada to New Hampshire to help restore power, at night it drops down to as low as -10 in some parts of the state, spring can not come fast enough!
5 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

Gem Lover wrote:
4 years ago
I am jealous of those of you with warm weather, I have had freezing rain, rain, snow and sleet for 3 days now, they had to call in crews from other states and Canada to New Hampshire to help restore power, at night it drops down to as low as -10 in some parts of the state, spring can not come fast enough!
Yikes 😳😳😳 I will send as many WARM thoughts as possible your way. ☀️🌞☀️🌞☀️🌞☀️🌞🏖🏝🏜
4 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Gem Lover wrote:
4 years ago
Im jealous too. We've had snow, sleet and rain in the last four days. Today its dreary and raining. Im not sure if Id rather have snow or rain at this point. I think Spring! Im over the grey. No green anywhere. I feed the birds and squirrels but look forward to putting out my hummingbird feeder. Spring cant come soon enough!
5 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

I love cooking!! It is such a concrete way to show love, since that is the secret ingredient in any recipe. 98% of all my cooking is from scratch. I was in my late 50's before I used a boxed cake mix. I just found out they make alfredo sauce in jars you can buy. (uugh by the way)!

You all know what a scamp I can be. So I went to a local eatery and thought "Meatloaf--I would like to try someone else's meatloaf." Yuck is all I can say! No salt, no pepper, no garlic, no onion, no ketchup, no basil or sage, not even A-1 or Worsteshire sauce or even some beef boullion. Just meat, egg and way more crushed crackers than there should be. So what did I do, you say? Why I went home and whipped up a meatloaf the next day, sliced it up and went to said eatery with my plate if "neatloaf" in a shopping bag. Anytime I saw someone who ordered meatloaf I would sneak over and give them some of mine first. I told them I was doing a taste test. I think the customers thought I worked for the restaurant. You never saw so many orders returned to the kitchen (THEIR meatloaf) in your life! Downside-- I was banned from the place for a month and there are not many places in this small town to eat out. Upside-- they don't even have meatloaf on the menu anymore.
5 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
I love cooking!! It is such a concrete way to show love, since that is the secret ingredient in any recipe. 98% of all my cooking is from scratch. I was in my late 50's before I used a boxed cake mix. I just found out they make alfredo sauce in jars you can buy. (uugh by the way)!

You all know what a scamp I can be. So I went to a local eatery and thought "Meatloaf--I would like to try someone else's meatloaf." Yuck is all I can say! No salt, no pepper, no garlic, no onion, no ketchup, no basil or sage, not even A-1 or Worsteshire sauce or even some beef boullion. Just meat, egg and way more crushed crackers than there should be. So what did I do, you say? Why I went home and whipped up a meatloaf the next day, sliced it up and went to said eatery with my plate if "neatloaf" in a shopping bag. Anytime I saw someone who ordered meatloaf I would sneak over and give them some of mine first. I told them I was doing a taste test. I think the customers thought I worked for the restaurant. You never saw so many orders returned to the kitchen (THEIR meatloaf) in your life! Downside-- I was banned from the place for a month and there are not many places in this small town to eat out. Upside-- they don't even have meatloaf on the menu anymore.
Too funny 😊😊😊❗
3 x

honey

Post by honey » 4 years ago

I am soooo glad that there are so many other here that
like to cook. Don't get me wrong - I'm not a totally
opposed to going out or take out, but I love home cookin'
and leftovers, and yesssss, yummy meatloaf is on for today!!
Secret ing. - pure love! :lol:
5 x