Catticus

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Re: Catticus

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

oh, it was always a struggle to give them up but for some reason - I did it. I vetted the new owners well and that made it easier. I knew they would be well-cared for. I gave them mostly to people in my neighborhood, now that I think about it. I think I fostered seven. All adults or young adults.
5 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

But then there were the cats that found me too. I paid a lot of vet bills on them too. Then there were the ferals that my husband and I fed. We were the cat people there for a few years.
5 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

OtherSideOfTheTracks: Giving away kittens or puppies to the new owners it's always hard, because you love them and you only hope that they do well in their new homes. Back in 2017 a quartet of kittens show up, fell in love with them. But I only managed to take to the vet one of the kittens to be spayed and could not do that with the other three. They were a black one, a calico, a Tuxedo and a grey long hair tabby. I named them Fugi, April, Spike and Usagi Irma. Unfortunately, I could not keep any of them. They were stray kittens, I hope they got new owners. Missing them a lot, too.
5 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Margui wrote:
4 years ago
OtherSideOfTheTracks: Giving away kittens or puppies to the new owners it's always hard, because you love them and you only hope that they do well in their new homes. Back in 2017 a quartet of kittens show up, fell in love with them. But I only managed to take to the vet one of the kittens to be spayed and could not do that with the other three. They were a black one, a calico, a Tuxedo and a grey long hair tabby. I named them Fugi, April, Spike and Usagi Irma. Unfortunately, I could not keep any of them. They were stray kittens, I hope they got new owners. Missing them a lot, too.
Sweet Margui,

What you have done to help cats in this world is HUGE and is wonderful! Pure sweetness and goodness of you. Very generous. We cannot fix the problem of stray cats and dogs in this world and I wish I could - but we, individuals, can't. I worry about the ferals to this day I used to feed because they lost their field home due to a shopping center being built where they lived and was destroyed. What happened to them? I give it to God and know, really know, that HE cared for them. Trust Him.

The kittens you couldn't care for - you gave them a "chance" of survival and that was good enough. It was A LOT! It was! You did great! Even if you only talked to them kindly, that was good! You provided them company and they knew you liked/loved them. It provided enough and I BET because of you, someone came along and did their part and they found homes. I think people are mostly good and others take up where we leave off, imo. I think people are mostly caring. So don't worry that you didn't do. You made a difference!

I learned a lot from my friend who is a vet. She faces these life or death scenarios every single day. People drop off a box of kittens or puppies at her front door every week. People abandon their pets when they get sick and won't return to pick them up. She taught me about doing what you can and that it's good enough. I had several deep conversations through many tears with my vet about rescuing animals. She talked me through the HARD reality to finally absorb you can't fix or save them all. You do what you can but you can't let it make you feel you are not a good person because you can only do so much. There will ALWAYS be 100 cats and dogs behind every ONE you save. Once you understand that, and make peace with that, then you will feel better when you can only save one. You put it in God's hands and let the Angels care for the rest.

Please don't feel bad for not rescuing them all. You simply CAN'T. But I believe that the ones that you did save, you gave them love that they would have never known. And that's what it's all about. Love. I love you, Margui. You're a very good person - and a friend to animals. They know it too - they can tell. That's why you find yourself surrounded by strays. They follow love - they mark your house or apartment - to let others know too. Like a hobo. <3 (((hugs)))
5 x

Blossom

Re: Catticu

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
4 years ago
Margui wrote:
4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago

😢I gave a litter of kittens away to same home once. It broke my heart. I never wanted updates because I was afraid they would be 💔 Sorry about Rafe.
Thank you, Blossom. I was so hard for me because I loved the kittens since the day the were born. Klunk gave birth on my patio. Then she and little tykes were inside all the time. Even she let my Shih tzu, Fluffy interact with the kittens without problems. Fluffy. Raphie's death was so hard for me. And now I'm still grieving Fluffy's passing to Rainbow Bridge, a year and a half ago. Losing pets is devastating. They are part of the family.
Oh Margui, You gave them so much love and that's more than most kitties. But I'm so sorry to hear the loss of your Ralph and Fluffy. It would kill me if I trustingly gave my kitties to someone and they let them outside when they were indoor kitties. I would be so upset.

The story of how I kept a whole litter of newborn kittens almost cost me my marriage! LOL! Well, it got rocky for a night.

My husband was very used to me getting cats from my vet to foster until they were adopted to the forever homes. I actually kept two cats already, Sugar and Ginger, this way. So when my vet called and said she had a litter of newborns (she knew I could and would commit to the feedings and medicines they needed i.e. eyedrops, eardrops, down the mouth meds) I said sure without hesitation.

It was a JOB with feedings every two hours and meds. But Sugar was a natural mama kitty and she went nuts with meowing when I brought the kittens home. She heard their mews and I thought she might be jealous or whatever - maybe she wanted to hurt them because she was so excited. So after a day and Sugar meaowing and trying to get to them, I let her in the bathroom and was on guard to watch what she will do. Sugar went to them and started licking them like crazy, like CRAZY on them. She licked for hours on them and for weeks. I think Sugar saved them really. Her licking them made them go to the bathroom which is what mama cats do for their kittens- the vet told me to take a warm washcloth and wipe their butt butts and stomachs vigorously to make them go to the bathroom but I didn't have to now with Sugar on the job. So Sugar was wonderful. Sugar took them as her own. She taught them how to be good kitties too - gave them the rules to the house.

Fast track eight weeks now. My husband has been a little neglected, bored of my talk about all things kittens and he still thinks I'm giving them away, right? Well, being with kittens all day and night, feeding them and loving on them, I FELL IN LOVE HARD. DEEPLY IN LOVE!! [/b. So now I'm getting quite anxious about finding homes for them because I was very very attached and didn't want to do it. I made fliers for the vet's office for adoption, and I made a sign that said, "free kittens" to put in the yard. (I would have vetted them potential owners so that it's not a nutjob). Well, I kept the fliers and the sign on the kitchen table - for about a week.

My husband comes home from work one day and says, "you know that sign would work better if you put it in the yard...." The moment had arrived. Not knowing what to do - something in me snapped. I said, "I'm not giving them up for adoption. We're keeping them." oof. I should have said it with less conviction. Well, we had a night of it. When eventually I ran out of reasons to keep them and started crying about it - he gave up. I could tell I won. Then I took a kitten, who I thought was his favorite, and put it on his chest. He turned his head then he looked at me. I said, look at him, he loves you, DAD..... :D done.deal.

It was all good from there. We were one big happy cat family of nine kitties. My husband loved those cats almost as much as I did. They were all with him throughout his illness too. It got to where he would only rouse when a cat laid down beside him (at the end). My husband did make me promise not to take any more cats from the vet and he kinda gave my vet a rough talking to (stern not mean) because he thought she knew I would keep them all. He thought we were in cahoots. LOL. She didn't know that. She does give me a discount with vet services though which is now 13 years of discounts - not much of one but I guess it does add up over the years... :shock:

Yay Sugar! Yay OSOTT! & YAY to your late husband too (gotta love a man who loves cats)! That was indeed a house full of love 💞
5 x

Blossom

Margui wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Margui wrote:
4 years ago

I know. I was so hard for me because I loved the kittens since the day the were born. Klunk gave birth on my patio. Then she and little tykes were inside all the time. Even she let my Shih tzu, Fluffy interact with the kittens without problems. Fluffy. Raphie's death was so hard for me. And now I'm still grieving Fluffy's passing to Rainbow Bridge, a year and a half ago. Losing pets is devastating. They are part of the family.
Im sorry about your baby. Losing them IS heartbreaking. ❤
Thank you, Gemsnob. Missing Fluffy a lot. Loved him so much. I hope this Christmas is better. I lost him during that time in 2018. 2019 was a hard year without him. I have to think that he is with God up in Heaven.
You bet our furry family who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge are in Heaven! Animals & babies are God's purest creatures & no one will convince me otherwise! I miss all my furry family too.
6 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago
Margui wrote:
4 years ago

Thank you, Blossom. I was so hard for me because I loved the kittens since the day the were born. Klunk gave birth on my patio. Then she and little tykes were inside all the time. Even she let my Shih tzu, Fluffy interact with the kittens without problems. Fluffy. Raphie's death was so hard for me. And now I'm still grieving Fluffy's passing to Rainbow Bridge, a year and a half ago. Losing pets is devastating. They are part of the family.
Oh Margui, You gave them so much love and that's more than most kitties. But I'm so sorry to hear the loss of your Ralph and Fluffy. It would kill me if I trustingly gave my kitties to someone and they let them outside when they were indoor kitties. I would be so upset.

The story of how I kept a whole litter of newborn kittens almost cost me my marriage! LOL! Well, it got rocky for a night.

My husband was very used to me getting cats from my vet to foster until they were adopted to the forever homes. I actually kept two cats already, Sugar and Ginger, this way. So when my vet called and said she had a litter of newborns (she knew I could and would commit to the feedings and medicines they needed i.e. eyedrops, eardrops, down the mouth meds) I said sure without hesitation.

It was a JOB with feedings every two hours and meds. But Sugar was a natural mama kitty and she went nuts with meowing when I brought the kittens home. She heard their mews and I thought she might be jealous or whatever - maybe she wanted to hurt them because she was so excited. So after a day and Sugar meaowing and trying to get to them, I let her in the bathroom and was on guard to watch what she will do. Sugar went to them and started licking them like crazy, like CRAZY on them. She licked for hours on them and for weeks. I think Sugar saved them really. Her licking them made them go to the bathroom which is what mama cats do for their kittens- the vet told me to take a warm washcloth and wipe their butt butts and stomachs vigorously to make them go to the bathroom but I didn't have to now with Sugar on the job. So Sugar was wonderful. Sugar took them as her own. She taught them how to be good kitties too - gave them the rules to the house.

Fast track eight weeks now. My husband has been a little neglected, bored of my talk about all things kittens and he still thinks I'm giving them away, right? Well, being with kittens all day and night, feeding them and loving on them, I FELL IN LOVE HARD. DEEPLY IN LOVE!! [/b. So now I'm getting quite anxious about finding homes for them because I was very very attached and didn't want to do it. I made fliers for the vet's office for adoption, and I made a sign that said, "free kittens" to put in the yard. (I would have vetted them potential owners so that it's not a nutjob). Well, I kept the fliers and the sign on the kitchen table - for about a week.

My husband comes home from work one day and says, "you know that sign would work better if you put it in the yard...." The moment had arrived. Not knowing what to do - something in me snapped. I said, "I'm not giving them up for adoption. We're keeping them." oof. I should have said it with less conviction. Well, we had a night of it. When eventually I ran out of reasons to keep them and started crying about it - he gave up. I could tell I won. Then I took a kitten, who I thought was his favorite, and put it on his chest. He turned his head then he looked at me. I said, look at him, he loves you, DAD..... :D done.deal.

It was all good from there. We were one big happy cat family of nine kitties. My husband loved those cats almost as much as I did. They were all with him throughout his illness too. It got to where he would only rouse when a cat laid down beside him (at the end). My husband did make me promise not to take any more cats from the vet and he kinda gave my vet a rough talking to (stern not mean) because he thought she knew I would keep them all. He thought we were in cahoots. LOL. She didn't know that. She does give me a discount with vet services though which is now 13 years of discounts - not much of one but I guess it does add up over the years... :shock:

Yay Sugar! Yay OSOTT! & YAY to your late husband too (gotta love a man who loves cats)! That was indeed a house full of love 💞

Thanks, Blossom. He was a keeper. Thanks to everyone here for letting reminisce about him and my cats. It's nice to talk about my husband as I don't get to much. I'll try to tone it down tho. I did a lot of talking today.
4 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
Margui wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago

Im sorry about your baby. Losing them IS heartbreaking. ❤
Thank you, Gemsnob. Missing Fluffy a lot. Loved him so much. I hope this Christmas is better. I lost him during that time in 2018. 2019 was a hard year without him. I have to think that he is with God up in Heaven.
You bet our furry family who have crossed the Rainbow Bridge are in Heaven! Animals & babies are God's purest creatures & no one will convince me otherwise! I miss all my furry family too.
I know you do. <3 It's going to be joyous to be reunited one day! I can't wait to see all the other animals too! I have zero doubt about it.
5 x

Blossom

4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago

Thanks, Blossom. He was a keeper. Thanks to everyone here for letting reminisce about him and my cats. It's nice to talk about my husband as I don't get to much. I'll try to tone it down tho. I did a lot of talking today.

OSOTT, if it helps you to talk about him...you should. I don't think anyone here would mind...I wouldn't.💞
5 x

Angelflutter

Post by Angelflutter » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
I get the name thing. Our cat 's name is Hex which I don't like but it came with the cat. I call him Boss or Einstein or Junior (he's very attached to my roommate). One of the two little dogs I dogsit has the name of Friday. He got that name because someone dropped him of and said I'll be back for him on Friday. Well that was about 4 years ago so we are still trying to figure out WHICH Friday, I also call him Littlebit. People sometimes ask if I can't remember these guys names. I tell them it depends on the identity they chose to have that day. No one seems to get it.
Oh I get it. My Chihuahua. Given name... Layla Grace ( yes they must have middle names )... aka.... Gracie, Gracie Poo, Layla G, Momo's Girl, Princess Layla, Princess Potty Poo, LG and last but not least My 15 pound sausage with legs.
6 x