Re: Not sure if

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
4 years ago

I'm 57 now and I hope my kitties will be with me for a little while although I don't think more than three years. Cats live to be old and I don't want to fret about who will care for them if I die. Also, there are soooo many animals/kitties/dogs that need help to find their forever homes. <<<< that's a big factor in the process of rescuing perfectly great cats and dogs from the kill shelter. The intermediate person is key to success for the pet to thrive and ready for a forever home.
Well, I’m 54 (yikes, when in the frick did THAT happen???!!!)
I have parrots that unless they get sick or injured will outlive me. Luckily daughter will take them. She loves them and has more animals than most people and likely always will❤️

Volunteering or fostering is a great thing to do. Problem is getting too attached.
I worry about my pets too if something happens to me first. My 79-year-old neighbor had a small dog & worried so much about it, she said she told her family if she died before her dog, she wanted the dog to be euthanized & buried with her because she thought the dog would grieve herself to death. Her daughter told me 'That's not going to happen' (euthanasia). My neighbor had to have her dog put down last month & I know she will not get another.

I have 2 little dogs. Of course, my cats adopted me, they are frightened of anyone who comes over.... Oh me, I don't like to even think about 'what if...'
Don't think about it - it will be okay. Pets are wonderful for any age and especially for older people. I just don't have anyone that will take care of my cats. BUT, let me tell you this. My mom and I used to collect things that the kill shelter could use when we used to go garage shopping every weekend. Pet beds, collars, toys, blankets, towels, etc. We would wash it and save our newspapers too - and give it to the shelter. We did this about twice a year. We were dropping off stuff at the kill shelter when a woman came in to surrender her brother's cat as her brother passed. She said the cat was 15 and she couldn't keep it. The kill shelter said that most likely the cat will be immediately put down because older pets don't get adopted. I have never seen my mother react like this - but she said, "I want the cat, what is it's name?" The cat, "Cinnamon" went straight with us to the car without being registered with the kill shelter. Cinnamon was AWESOME, a lady, who was obviously, well-loved. She had perfect manners, the best disposition, and Cinnamon "knew" it was MOM who saved her because those two bonded. Mom went back home with Cinnamon (this was before she moved in with me) and Cinnamon lived another eight years - up until she had to be put down because of severe arthritis that left really had turned too bad for her.

This outcome, I believe, was the previous owner and God's intervention for Cinnamon. Both Cinnamon and mom were at the right place at the right time. Cinnamon was well-taken care off after her master's death and I believe these interventions happen often. So please don't worry so much as I believe most people are good and will help. I should take my own advice. I also didn't clarify, that my situation is unknown as far as where I will be living. I will be selling my house to downsize, and I don't know what my future holds. I will have a cat in my life. or a dog though.
3 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

Well, I’m 54 (yikes, when in the frick did THAT happen???!!!)
I have parrots that unless they get sick or injured will outlive me. Luckily daughter will take them. She loves them and has more animals than most people and likely always will❤️

Volunteering or fostering is a great thing to do. Problem is getting too attached.
I worry about my pets too if something happens to me first. My 79-year-old neighbor had a small dog & worried so much about it, she said she told her family if she died before her dog, she wanted the dog to be euthanized & buried with her because she thought the dog would grieve herself to death. Her daughter told me 'That's not going to happen' (euthanasia). My neighbor had to have her dog put down last month & I know she will not get another.

I have 2 little dogs. Of course, my cats adopted me, they are frightened of anyone who comes over.... Oh me, I don't like to even think about 'what if...'
Don't think about it - it will be okay. Pets are wonderful for any age and especially for older people. I just don't have anyone that will take care of my cats. BUT, let me tell you this. My mom and I used to collect things that the kill shelter could use when we used to go garage shopping every weekend. Pet beds, collars, toys, blankets, towels, etc. We would wash it and save our newspapers too - and give it to the shelter. We did this about twice a year. We were dropping off stuff at the kill shelter when a woman came in to surrender her brother's cat as her brother passed. She said the cat was 15 and she couldn't keep it. The kill shelter said that most likely the cat will be immediately put down because older pets don't get adopted. I have never seen my mother react like this - but she said, "I want the cat, what is it's name?" The cat, "Cinnamon" went straight with us to the car without being registered with the kill shelter. Cinnamon was AWESOME, a lady, who was obviously, well-loved. She had perfect manners, the best disposition, and Cinnamon "knew" it was MOM who saved her because those two bonded. Mom went back home with Cinnamon (this was before she moved in with me) and Cinnamon lived another eight years - up until she had to be put down because of severe arthritis that left really had turned too bad for her.

This outcome, I believe, was the previous owner and God's intervention for Cinnamon. Cinnamon was well-taken care off after her master's death and I believe these interventions happen often. So please don't worry so much as I believe most people are good and will help. I should take my own advice. I also didn't clarify, that my situation is unknown as far as where I will be living. I will be selling my house to downsize, and I don't know what my future holds. I will have a cat in my life. or a dog.
You're right. I always thought...nobody's gonna love 'em like me but there is hope someone will. Thank you for Cinnamon's story.
Yeah, hard to see myself too not having pets. 💞
3 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago

This outcome, I believe, was the previous owner and God's intervention for Cinnamon. Cinnamon was well-taken care off after her master's death and I believe these interventions happen often. So please don't worry so much as I believe most people are good and will help. I should take my own advice. I also didn't clarify, that my situation is unknown as far as where I will be living. I will be selling my house to downsize, and I don't know what my future holds. I will have a cat in my life. or a dog.
You're right. I always thought...nobody's gonna love 'em like me but there is hope someone will. Thank you for Cinnamon's story.
Also, I've fostered before so I've envisioned doing that again. I know it's not for everyone - and it's hard to let them go - but I will just avoid newborn kittens! LOL Those I have no resistance to attachment. :lol: :lol: :lol:
3 x

Blossom

4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago

Also, I've fostered before so I've envisioned doing that again. I know it's not for everyone - and it's hard to let them go - but I will just avoid newborn kittens! LOL Those I have no resistance to attachment. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Me either!💞
2 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

If I even tried to foster my house would look like Noah’ Ark in no time. 🥺
5 x

Blossom

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Mine kinda does...& none of mine are fosters. :?
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
Mine kinda does...& none of mine are fosters. :?
Ohh I’ve been there, none were fosters either. Right now with two dogs and two parrots it’s the least number of pets I have ever had at one time.
2 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Rolltide wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

Why won’t you get another one?

I would love to have a Munchkin cat.
I'm 57 now and I hope my kitties will be with me for a little while although I don't think more than three years. Cats live to be old and I don't want to fret about who will care for them if I die. Also, there are soooo many animals/kitties/dogs that need help to find their forever homes. <<<< that's a big factor in the process of rescuing perfectly great cats and dogs from the kill shelter. The intermediate person is key to success for the pet to thrive and ready for a forever home.
I am the same way, would worry who would take care of them after me. I have found homes for 2 stray cats, feeding them until time to go. One was white w/calico spotting on ears and paws, she was preggers, and a woman with a farm took her and said she wanted the kitties too. Then a vets office sent me another farmer who took the other one, a VERY LARGE tiger looking tabby that I fed for months, saw her grow up, and she was preggers. Same thing, the man said he wanted any kittens too. He told me at length about where she would be, said she would live in his barn and rule the roost, roaming property in daytime as she liked. I was able to call him and check on the little girl a couple of times after he took her. He said he couldn't believe she had grown up wild she was so tame and loved everyone. Now I have a stray I feed is solid black and can't find a home for her. She used to come up on porch to eat, then I didn't see her for a long while, now she won't come close so someone must have hurt her. I pour food out at edge of yard when I see her. She watches, then when I come in house, she eats.
Oh, bless your heart, Rolltide! Black cats are the hardest to find homes for. People think they are bad luck and black cats are also known to get harmed by people because of it. I hope he/she bonds with you enough to come to you.

I have a wonderful, dainty, long-legged, skinny little black girl cat named FeeFee part of the kitten litter I rescued. In the litter were three blacks, one black and white, one grey tabby and two yellow tabbies. FeeFee was the runt. Her black brother, BooBoo, was her big brother and followed her around for some reason. He was just looking out for her, I think, as she was so small compared to the other kitties. Anyway, FeeFee would meow and get aggravated because everywhere she went, BooBoo followed. It was so funny. If she climbed to the top of a cat tree - BooBoo was behind her. She would be on top and swat at him down below. Then she would be stuck because he wouldn't leave - so I would have to rescue her. I miss Booboo bear.
3 x

Blossom

Rolltide wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

Why won’t you get another one?

I would love to have a Munchkin cat.
I am the same way, would worry who would take care of them after me. I have found homes for 2 stray cats, feeding them until time to go. One was white w/calico spotting on ears and paws, she was preggers, and a woman with a farm took her and said she wanted the kitties too. Then a vets office sent me another farmer who took the other one, a VERY LARGE tiger looking tabby that I fed for months, saw her grow up, and she was preggers. Same thing, the man said he wanted any kittens too. He told me at length about where she would be, said she would live in his barn and rule the roost, roaming property in daytime as she liked. I was able to call him and check on the little girl a couple of times after he took her. He said he couldn't believe she had grown up wild she was so tame and loved everyone. Now I have a stray I feed is solid black and can't find a home for her. She used to come up on porch to eat, then I didn't see her for a long while, now she won't come close so someone must have hurt her. I pour food out at edge of yard when I see her. She watches, then when I come in house, she eats.
Thank goodness for farmers! The local shelter gives farmers cats that don't get adopted. Of course the shelter's policy...spays/neuters first but farmers welcome having mousers.

Betcha win Ms Black's heart soon! They always seem to figure out who they can trust.💞
4 x

Angelflutter

Post by Angelflutter » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
I no longer have a kitty...🥺

But do have two large dogs.

I feed them a high quality grain free dry and mix it with “wet” food I make myself.

Ground turkey
Cranberries (sometimes I use blueberries)
Pumpkin purée

Cooked until the berries begin to break down.

Mixed with dry and a bit of applesauce with carrot and strawberry mixed in.

It has literally taken YEARS off my older dog, Cleo’s age!
RS, I'm sorry you lost your kitty😢

It sounds like your entire family is being well cared for by you, including feathered & furry! Think I would eat your home-made addition (minus the dry base part)!😋
Well I certainly try! I made a fresh batch of doggie food yesterday.

Last night my boys got ham with my special glaze, Lyonnaise and Parmesan potatoes, Salad with fresh raspberries, glazed pecans, blue cheese crumbles and blackberry vinaigrette.

This morning, they had biscuits and gravy (hubby had his with an over medium egg plopped right on top).
Coming to your house to eat. Your pups eat better than I do. My 15 pound sausage with legs eats boiled chicken, pork chops and very occasionally roast pork or beef. I don't give her dog food. Her chew treats are chicken and duck jerky and Grillers Porky Sticks ( made in Indiana ) no dry food at all.
3 x