Re: Not sure if

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
I no longer have a kitty...🥺

But do have two large dogs.

I feed them a high quality grain free dry and mix it with “wet” food I make myself.

Ground turkey
Cranberries (sometimes I use blueberries)
Pumpkin purée

Cooked until the berries begin to break down.

Mixed with dry and a bit of applesauce with carrot and strawberry mixed in.

It has literally taken YEARS off my older dog, Cleo’s age!
RS, I'm sorry you lost your kitty😢

It sounds like your entire family is being well cared for by you, including feathered & furry! Think I would eat your home-made addition (minus the dry base part)!😋
Well I certainly try! I made a fresh batch of doggie food yesterday.

Last night my boys got ham with my special glaze, Lyonnaise and Parmesan potatoes, Salad with fresh raspberries, glazed pecans, blue cheese crumbles and blackberry vinaigrette.

This morning, they had biscuits and gravy (hubby had his with an over medium egg plopped right on top).
1 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
4 years ago
If I ever get another cat - I will only give dry food. But I doubt I will get another cat after my current babies are gone. I will do something - but not own again... my plan anyway. I may volunteer or something to get my pet fix.
Why won’t you get another one?

I would love to have a Munchkin cat.
2 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

I feed them a high quality grain free dry and mix it with “wet” food I make myself.

Ground turkey
Pumpkin purée

It sounds like your entire family is being well cared for by you, including feathered & furry! Think I would eat your home-made addition (minus the dry base part)!😋

Last night my boys got ham with my special glaze, Lyonnaise and Parmesan potatoes, Salad with fresh raspberries, glazed pecans, blue cheese crumbles and blackberry vinaigrette.

This morning, they had biscuits and gravy (hubby had his with an over medium egg plopped right on top).
Yummy ❗😁 I love B&G
1 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

Ground turkey
Pumpkin purée

YUM!!
2 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago
If I ever get another cat - I will only give dry food. But I doubt I will get another cat after my current babies are gone. I will do something - but not own again... my plan anyway. I may volunteer or something to get my pet fix.

I'm 57 now and I hope my kitties will be with me for a little while although I don't think more than three years. Cats live to be old and I don't want to fret about who will care for them if I die. Also, there are soooo many animals/kitties/dogs that need help to find their forever homes. <<<< that's a big factor in the process of rescuing perfectly great cats and dogs from the kill shelter. The intermediate person is key to success for the pet to thrive and ready for a forever home.
4 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

My Miss Nightingale, one of my litter kittens, died last year. She was born with extremely short legs. It caused her back problems and grooming problems as she couldn't reach the very lower back and when she got older with spine issues, her butt, to bath. Her front legs were not tall enough to give her the stretch she needed. I bath all my cats but I especially couldn't forget to do it with her. She was so adorable though. She would wobble around with her little short legs. But she also had limitations that her brothers and sisters didn't have.

But if you are going to pamper a munchkin kitty, which I know you would, it would awesome.
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago

I'm 57 now and I hope my kitties will be with me for a little while although I don't think more than three years. Cats live to be old and I don't want to fret about who will care for them if I die. Also, there are soooo many animals/kitties/dogs that need help to find their forever homes. <<<< that's a big factor in the process of rescuing perfectly great cats and dogs from the kill shelter. The intermediate person is key to success for the pet to thrive and ready for a forever home.
Well, I’m 54 (yikes, when in the frick did THAT happen???!!!)
I have parrots that unless they get sick or injured will outlive me. Luckily daughter will take them. She loves them and has more animals than most people and likely always will❤️

Volunteering or fostering is a great thing to do. Problem is getting too attached.
2 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

I have parrots that unless they get sick or injured will outlive me. Luckily daughter will take them. She loves them and has more animals than most people and likely always will❤️

Volunteering or fostering is a great thing to do. Problem is getting too attached.
Yeah I would be bringing soooooo many babies home with me. Would break my heart
2 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

RS wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

If I had a son or daughter to care for them - I wouldn't hesitate to adopt many more! But I don't have that. I do have in place my Will that will give my animals to my sister with money to care for them. However, she is older than I am and I worry about that if something happened to me today. I had this provision in my Will for over 20 years and my sister has agreed with it.

If I had children though, I wouldn't worry. But, I'm okay with helping animals find their homes. I've done it many times before and yes, it's very hard. But it's a mindset I put myself in. The entire time I'm with a cat that I'm the intermediary or foster mom (in the past) I talk to the cat, like a human, and explain that I'm not her forever mom but the next family will be. I talk to the cat everyday and assure them they will be fine etc. It helps both the cat and me. I'm dead serious - the cat understands what I'm saying. It helps "me" too that they understand. I explain that one day, they will leave me for their forever homes but that I love them forever and am cheering for them....etc. They get it. Every cat I've placed was fine when they met their new mom. I could see it in their eyes. I highly recommend talking to cats like a human. I think God gives them the understanding of language (all language) but they just can't speak it. If speaking with a pure heart - the message is received.

But when I was asked to foster the newborns, I was off my game. They were newborns and their eyes hadn't even opened yet. I was their mama. I fed them bottles every two hours. I bonded like I've never bonded. So I couldn't let them go. Could not. That's how that happened.
3 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago
RS wrote:
4 years ago

I worry about my pets too if something happens to me first. My 79-year-old neighbor had a small dog & worried so much about it, she said she told her family if she died before her dog, she wanted the dog to be euthanized & buried with her because she thought the dog would grieve herself to death. Her daughter told me 'That's not going to happen' (euthanasia). My neighbor had to have her dog put down last month & I know she will not get another.

I have 2 little dogs. Of course, my cats adopted me, they are frightened of anyone who comes over.... Oh me, I don't like to even think about 'what if...'
4 x