Virus

Jo

Re: Virus

Post by Jo » 4 years ago

Cruises are wonderful! My husband and I have been on two 7-day cruises. There are lots of activities to enjoy, but if you're like me, lounging on the deck with a good book or just enjoying the ocean view and sounds is soooooo relaxing. The food is really good, too and it's available 24/7. So plan on gaining a few pounds ๐Ÿ˜.
6 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

Regarding past viral outbreaks-- West Nile was spread by mosquitoes and yes I knew some a couple of people that contracted it. Zika was spread the same way but was not dangerous unless you were pregnant and was mostly centered in South America. Not being pregnant nor in Brazil I wasn't too concerned, nor were many of my friends. Since the Bird outbreak was mostly centered on the East Coast I didn't know anyone who contracted it. Ebola originated in Africa and had very few incidents outside that country since it levels the victim very quickly so they didn't have the occasion to travel and spread it-- which was a good thing since it has a 90% fatality rate.

This virus is concerning because it is spread by contact with people and is highly highly contagious, and takes almost twice as long to show symptoms after you contract it. Therefore the infected person goes merrily on their way spreading and contacting people before they even know they have it. It is not particularly dangerous unless you are infirm or elderly. I am both. Concerned? Yes. Panicked? No.
6 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote: โ†‘
4 years ago
Regarding past viral outbreaks-- West Nile was spread by mosquitoes and yes I knew some a couple of people that contracted it. Zika was spread the same way but was not dangerous unless you were pregnant and was mostly centered in South America. Not being pregnant nor in Brazil I wasn't too concerned, nor were many of my friends. Since the Bird outbreak was mostly centered on the East Coast I didn't know anyone who contracted it. Ebola originated in Africa and had very few incidents outside that country since it levels the victim very quickly so they didn't have the occasion to travel and spread it-- which was a good thing since it has a 90% fatality rate.

This virus is concerning because it is spread by contact with people and is highly highly contagious, and takes almost twice as long to show symptoms after you contract it. Therefore the infected person goes merrily on their way spreading and contacting people before they even know they have it. It is not particularly dangerous unless you are infirm or elderly. I am both. Concerned? Yes. Panicked? No.
I live in KY & labs have said I have had West Nile although it is not active. Also have had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever...also not active. Wondering if labs are correct about active part because something makes me extremely fatigued all day every day.

@JewelryQueen
I'm praying for you & Sissy everyday. Concern is healthy in my opinion. Please stay in touch so we know you are ok..ok?
((HUGS))๐Ÿ’ž
6 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote: โ†‘
4 years ago
4 years ago

I live in KY & labs have said I have had West Nile although it is not active. Also have had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever...also not active. Wondering if labs are correct about active part because something makes me extremely fatigued all day every day.

@JewelryQueen
I'm praying for you & Sissy everyday. Concern is healthy in my opinion. Please stay in touch so we know you are ok..ok?
((HUGS))๐Ÿ’ž
Maybe it's Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? I think they diagnose it by ruling other things out ( kind of like fibro) but I could be wrong.
3 x

Blossom

Gemsnob wrote: โ†‘
4 years ago
4 years ago
4 years ago

@JewelryQueen
((HUGS))๐Ÿ’ž
Maybe it's Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? I think they diagnose it by ruling other things out ( kind of like fibro) but I could be wrong.
Yeah, some docs have tried to label me w/that but whatever meds they gave me just made it worse.

I'm an episode of 'Mystery Diagnosis' waiting to happen! ๐Ÿ’ž
5 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

4 years ago
4 years ago
4 years ago

@JewelryQueen
((HUGS))๐Ÿ’ž
Yeah, some docs have tried to label me w/that but whatever meds they gave me just made it worse.

Could be your thyroid? Have a doctor to check it. I remember a case of Mystery diagnosis that at the end turned to be problems with thyroid.
2 x

Blossom

Margui wrote: โ†‘
4 years ago
4 years ago
4 years ago

Could be your thyroid? Have a doctor to check it. I remember a case of Mystery diagnosis that at the end turned to be problems with thyroid.
@Margui

Yes you're right, thank you Margui! Thyroid can cause a multitude of symptoms. It was one of the first things my primary checked. Low normal according to labs...so no meds prescribed. Nearest endo doc over an hour away. May end up trying though.

Wonder if there are any OTC vitamins, herbs, etc that would boost thyroid?
2 x

JewelryQueen

@Blossom

Hmmmm...let's see...do we know any herbalists? Silly girl! You asked for it, you got it.

A couple of real easy things first. Check your salt container and make sure it says iodized salt. Most is, but easy to check. Stop eating broccoli and kale. They are good for most people but if your thyroid is under producing they contain goitrogens that inhibit your thyroid from producing enough hormone. Put 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in 8 oz of hot water and add honey to taste in the morning. Use coconut oil instead of olive oil or vegetable oil when cooking. Get some fresh ginger root at the grocery store. Put 5 thinly sliced pieces in boiling hot water and let steep for 5 minutes and add honey to taste (boy those bees had better get hopping) and drink twice a day.

Now the supplement big guns. First a really good Vitamin B complex that has B12 listed first. 5000 mcg worth. Evening Primrose oil as per recommended dosage on bottle. Siberian ginseng (if you can find it) 200 mg before breakfast and lunch.

PS Symptoms of a low functioning thyroid are fatigue, weight gain, sensitivity to cold, body aches, a "fuzzy" head or lack of mental clarity, depression and brittle nails. Only a doctor can actually diagnose this with a blood test for T4 and T3 maybe a thyroid antibody test. Please note that if you are taking corticosteroids for arthritis, for example, it can affect the test results.

Hope this helps!!
2 x

Angelflutter

Post by Angelflutter » 4 years ago

1st case of confirmed coronovirus has been confirmed in Indiana.... about 140 miles from where I live. Yikes....Angelflutter
2 x

JewelryQueen

Rut Row!

I had declared a day of joy, and the first thing when I turn on my TV is yet another emergency press conference-- now with the King County executive and the head of Public Health. Apparently there are some mighty ticked off relatives of the residents not yet evacuated (about half) and still in the infected nursing home. The staff will not answer status calls from these relatives quoting privacy rules. Requests must be made in writing. So they show pictures of the family holding up signs on the other side of the chain link fence saying things like "Aunt Em if you are OK step to the window". I had to change channels.

I am going to take 5 minutes and dance around the living room and regain my joy!
3 x