Vitamin D

Gem Lover

Vitamin D

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

Last night I saw a doctor who works for the CDC and he said Vitamin C does nothing for the corona virus but they did studies and found that taking Vitamin D taken daily worked to fight it off. He said they think that is why people do not usually get the flew during the summer months because they get more Vitamin D from the sun. Here in New England were we get long winters most people are deficient in vitamin D and need to take it, I myself when tested had hardly any so my doctor had told me to take it every day during the winter months, it is also great to help fight off depression, people who suffer from depression usually do not have enough vitamin D in their body.
7 x

Gemsnob

Re: Vitamin D

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Gem Lover wrote:
4 years ago
Last night I saw a doctor who works for the CDC and he said Vitamin C does nothing for the corona virus but they did studies and found that taking Vitamin D taken daily worked to fight it off. He said they think that is why people do not usually get the flew during the summer months because they get more Vitamin D from the sun. Here in New England were we get long winters most people are deficient in vitamin D and need to take it, I myself when tested had hardly any so my doctor had told me to take it every day during the winter months, it is also great to help fight off depression, people who suffer from depression usually do not have enough vitamin D in their body.
That's good to know. I take D, B complex, C and fish oil every morning and a multi at night. Hope I'm doing something other than spending money and flushing it.
4 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Gem Lover wrote:
4 years ago
That's good to know. I take D, B complex, C and fish oil every morning and a multi at night. Hope I'm doing something other than spending money and flushing it.
I read a report years ago that had specifically stated we needed at least 2 hours of sunlight everyday to help our systems maintain a healthy balance in our bodies. I believed the report and follow that advice
6 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago
Gemsnob wrote:
4 years ago
Gem Lover wrote:
4 years ago
I read a report years ago that had specifically stated we needed at least 2 hours of sunlight everyday to help our systems maintain a healthy balance in our bodies. I believed the report and follow that advice
Doesn't it make you wonder why they push the sunscreen 24/7? We DO need sunlight. Sunscreen is also absorbed through your skin. It's toxic and it's been said that suncreen has contributed to the dying of coral reefs. I've heard dermatologists say to wear it all the time. No thanks.
6 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

@Gemsnob You are correct, I never wear sun screen, I read the same thing and I saw that people do not get enough vitamin D because they wear it and it blocks it from our bodies. Most living things need sun to survive.
5 x

2Blonde

Post by 2Blonde » 4 years ago

@Gem Lover You may be onto something with the Vit D3. I'm a jogger and spend lots of time outdoors, but I live in NE Ohio where warm sunny days are at a premium. Years ago I was tested for Vit D3 and was not low, but barely into the normal range. So, I started taking it every day. Last year my doc had my blood tested again for several things, including D, and guess what.......I was almost off the chart for having a high level of it! I might add that I haven't been sick with anything for at least a couple years (I'm right now looking for some real wood to knock on). :D
5 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

2Blonde wrote:
4 years ago
@Gem Lover You may be onto something with the Vit D3. I'm a jogger and spend lots of time outdoors, but I live in NE Ohio where warm sunny days are at a premium. Years ago I was tested for Vit D3 and was not low, but barely into the normal range. So, I started taking it every day. Last year my doc had my blood tested again for several things, including D, and guess what.......I was almost off the chart for having a high level of it! I might add that I haven't been sick with anything for at least a couple years (I'm right now looking for some real wood to knock on). :D
Same here! My D level is way off the charts and so is my B level.
4 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

I believe in the benefits of vitamin D3. I take 2000 International Units every morning. It is not water soluble so one needs to not overdo it. Pretty hard for me to do since I live where the sun don't shine (no not THERE-Washington state). Yes sunscreens and clothing both block sunlight which can lead to a deficiency. (No you don't have to go nude-just roll up your sleeves.) It helps your body absorb calcium and is very helpful is you suffer from osteoporsis or kidney problems that are due due to the calcium staying in your blood and not going to your bones and teeth that need it. It doesn't work if you take it within 2 hrs of some antacids.

I am sooo not a fan most sunscreens. They are chock full of some very scary chemicals being put directly on the largest organ of your body, otherwise known as your skin. I have been trying to develop a natural sunscreen for years but so far has proved cost prohibitive. I still wouldn't wear it ALL the time.

Between D3 and my full spectrum light I have not suffered from SAD (seasonal affective disorder- which causes depression in the Winter) like I used to.
8 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
I believe in the benefits of vitamin D3. I take 2000 International Units every morning. It is not water soluble so one needs to not overdo it. Pretty hard for me to do since I live where the sun don't shine (no not THERE-Washington state). Yes sunscreens and clothing both block sunlight which can lead to a deficiency. (No you don't have to go nude-just roll up your sleeves.) It helps your body absorb calcium and is very helpful is you suffer from osteoporsis or kidney problems that are due due to the calcium staying in your blood and not going to your bones and teeth that need it. It doesn't work if you take it within 2 hrs of some antacids.

I am sooo not a fan most sunscreens. They are chock full of some very scary chemicals being put directly on the largest organ of your body, otherwise known as your skin. I have been trying to develop a natural sunscreen for years but so far has proved cost prohibitive. I still wouldn't wear it ALL the time.

Between D3 and my full spectrum light I have not suffered from SAD (seasonal affective disorder- which causes depression in the Winter) like I used to.
I like it dark and gloomy so I clearly don’t suffer from SAD either (and my high levels). My husband always comments that I must be a bat! Yeah...your old bat!
I do love the sunshine and am outside a lot, in my big floppy hat and sunglasses to keep my face outta the sun’s rays.
I’m outside right now, lounge chair...with my iPad.
Hubby went out to get the oil changed in his monster truck “Blue”.
7 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

RS wrote:
4 years ago
JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago

I like it dark and gloomy so I clearly don’t suffer from SAD either (and my high levels). My husband always comments that I must be a bat! Yeah...your old bat!
I do love the sunshine and am outside a lot, in my big floppy hat and sunglasses to keep my face outta the sun’s rays.
I’m outside right now, lounge chair...with my iPad.
Hubby went out to get the oil changed in his monster truck “Blue”.
I have always loved "dark and gloomy" (and colder) weather! My sis and I always said we must be related to The Addams Family! We get more depressed in the summer.

Loved it when they went "Moon bathing"! How fun that would be! We always loved nighttime.

Maybe we're vampires!
5 x