Effects of the virus.

Gem Lover

Effects of the virus.

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

My niece who lives about 10 minutes away from me told me today that her son called from college in Conn. and the colleges is shutting down and he would be heading home today, she then got a call from her boyfriend who lives with her and said the place he works at in Boston is shutting down and he would be working from home until further notice. I went to Sams Club today to pick up food and it was a mad house, I could not believe all the empty food isles and empty freezers, very little meat left, it is pretty scary to see that, the lady at the register said it had been like that non stop the last couple of days and that s why everything is gone. I was able to get a few things but not half of what I needed. Are we going to have to worry about people breaking in our homes to steal food if this gets any worse?
2 x

Blossom

Re: Effects of the virus.

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

Gem Lover wrote:
4 years ago
My niece who lives about 10 minutes away from me told me today that her son called from college in Conn. and the colleges is shutting down and he would be heading home today, she then got a call from her boyfriend who lives with her and said the place he works at in Boston is shutting down and he would be working from home until further notice. I went to Sams Club today to pick up food and it was a mad house, I could not believe all the empty food isles and empty freezers, very little meat left, it is pretty scary to see that, the lady at the register said it had been like that non stop the last couple of days and that s why everything is gone. I was able to get a few things but not half of what I needed. Are we going to have to worry about people breaking in our homes to steal food if this gets any worse?
Hadn't thought about people breaking in but WOW I can see that happening. My grocery was like a madhouse & the $Store too. The only thing missing from shelves were hand sanitizer, wipes & alcohol. Someone said WallyWorld in my area was sold out of t.p., etc too.
This thing is getting scarier by the hour :shock:

I did buy extra paper towels, t.p. & pet stuff at the grocery. Guess I'm lucky to get those!
3 x

Ginger

Post by Ginger » 4 years ago

I am getting emails from big companies like Wallyworld, Target, some of the pet stores, saying that they are making sure to keep the stores extra clean due to the virus. Even our credit card companies are sending out the emails, weird. I am going to stock up on freezer things, bottled water, soups, vitamin c, Kleenex, paper towels, alcohol & aloe Vera, hand sanitizer and disinfect wipes. You can take a container that holds baby wipes and put paper towels, after you mix in alcohol with aloe Vera but I add a few drops of essential oil to the mixture. Then I have a container of hand wipes for virtually pennies. I love doing this with the left over baby wipes containers. Be safe everyone, Ginger ♥️💛♥️
5 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

We won't have a problem with getting food I don't think. Things to disinfect/sanitize and maybe some over the counter medical supplies maybe. JQ made an excellent point about using tap water instead of bottled. Buy something to filter water if anything.
4 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

I have had some trouble finding some things. Hand sanitizer, aloe Vera gel, toilet paper (Safeway had it). But food is still plentiful. Went to the butcher day before yesterday and there was meat aplenty, of all kinds, as well as fish and seafood. I certainly hope things don’t deteriorate to the point of people breaking in.

Hubby has enough ammo for a small army so yeah, folks better not try it here. If someone comes asking ....I will give what they need. Don’t try and break in and steal.

Stay safe my friends.💞💞
5 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
4 years ago
We won't have a problem with getting food I don't think. Things to disinfect/sanitize and maybe some over the counter medical supplies maybe. JQ made an excellent point about using tap water instead of bottled. Buy something to filter water if anything.
I hope you're right OSOTT!
How are you & your mom?
4 x

Hollie

Post by Hollie » 4 years ago

Be safe out there everyone. Just stay home and hunker down even Disney is closing until further notice.
It's gotta get contained. So far, as of a bit earlier, Idaho is one of the 3 states left without virus. Our stores are stocked. We always take precautions during winter and slide time. Slide time is what you guys refer to as spring.
I just don't know how scared we should be. We have so few people here and not many stray far. But also, our hospital is what a clinic is out there. They say they're ready but I kinda doubt it. Locals do the cooking for the hospital cafeteria (smaller then my kitchen) and patients. The jail too. Just picture Aunt Bea bringing Otis dinner.
But I was born with a respiratory problem. Pneumonia would not be good for me.
I also don't trust media. They're causing people to panic. I trust very few these days.
Nobody here seems worried. 😷 not sure if they're braver or dumber or if I'm dumb to worry.
5 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago
How are you & your mom?
Hey Blossom! She has improved but not out of the woods. The doctors have run every test - her WBC count is a lot better and she is own three different antibiotics and for fungus. She couldn't move a muscle or talk and we even tested for a stroke with CT's and such but thankfully that wasn't it. They can't figure out why she is getting infected as she doesn't have a fistula. But she is speaking more and moving some. I still feed her. They want her to move to a rehab facility (they will still nurse her with antibiotics) but she needs physical therapy. My concern is that IF the coronavirus gets worse - and it looks like it will - that if it hits the rehab facility (also a nursing home in a separate wing) then they will go into lock down and I won't be able to see her or heck, I may not can leave. Mercy. So, my decision to make is bring her home and try to get pt to come twice a week (not enough) or let her go to a rehab for about 14 days. Our nurse says let her go to rehab. Alabama hasn't had it's first case of coronavirus yet but it's just a matter of time.

I would love to know what you would do if you (any advice welcome from anyone out there) were in my shoes. ?

I also posted in "R U going to do anything different now that the Coronavirus is a pandemic ?"

RS, hahaha! I have quite the arsonal too (as mostly my husbands) but I just bought a new gun a month ago that I haven't practiced with. But I pity the fool that comes to my house. I'm a quick trigger too. I've done a lot of training but in simulations, I'll shoot first ask questions later. :| <<< been trying to work on that.
Last edited by OtherSideOfTheTracks 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Hollie wrote:
4 years ago
Be safe out there everyone. Just stay home and hunker down even Disney is closing until further notice.
It's gotta get contained. So far, as of a bit earlier, Idaho is one of the 3 states left without virus. Our stores are stocked. We always take precautions during winter and slide time. Slide time is what you guys refer to as spring.
I just don't know how scared we should be. We have so few people here and not many stray far. But also, our hospital is what a clinic is out there. They say they're ready but I kinda doubt it. Locals do the cooking for the hospital cafeteria (smaller then my kitchen) and patients. The jail too. Just picture Aunt Bea bringing Otis dinner.
But I was born with a respiratory problem. Pneumonia would not be good for me.
I also don't trust media. They're causing people to panic. I trust very few these days.
Nobody here seems worried. 😷 not sure if they're braver or dumber or if I'm dumb to worry.
Nobody here seems worried either with the exception of panic buying. But there are quite a few “preppers” here, and I mean the type that tend to go overboard. Foil hat wearing type. They and people who are reselling for huge profits to scared people are the ones who are buying. Other than that here in my town it’s pretty much business as usual.
Where daughter lives, Medford, Or., her school is cancelling all sports and performances. Extending upcoming spring break for at least a week. She and I assume this is all a preamble to them closing down for a time.
5 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago
How are you & your mom?
Hey Blossom! She has improved but not out of the woods. The doctors have run every test - her WBC count is a lot better and she is own three different antibiotics and for fungus. She couldn't move a muscle or talk and we even tested for a stroke with CT's and such but thankfully that wasn't it. They can't figure out why she is getting infected as she doesn't have a fistula. But she is speaking more and moving some. I still feed her. They want her to move to a rehab facility (they will still nurse her with antibiotics) but she needs physical therapy. My concern is that IF the coronavirus gets worse - and it looks like it will - that if it hits the rehab facility (also a nursing home in a separate wing) then they will go into lock down and I won't be able to see her or heck, I may not can leave. Mercy. So, my decision to make is bring her home and try to get pt to come twice a week (not enough) or let her go to a rehab for about 14 days. Our nurse says let her go to rehab. Alabama hasn't had it's first case of coronavirus yet but it's just a matter of time.

I would love to know what you would do if you were in my shoes. ?

I also posted in "R U going to do anything different now that the Coronavirus is a pandemic ?"

RS, hahaha! I have quite the arsonal too (as mostly my husbands) but I just bought a new gun a month ago that I haven't practiced with. But I pity the fool that comes to my house. I'm a quick trigger too. I've done a lot of training but in simulations, I'll shoot first ask questions later. :| <<< been trying to work on that.
Girl with a gun! 😜

Hubby is trained. Not only a pilot but was an FFDO (Federal Marshal) trained by the FBI In Quantico and Albuquerque He practices at the police range all the time. He also loads his own ammo. He does it for pleasure but you never know, right?
2 x