Effects of the virus.

Hollie

Re: Effects of the virus.

Post by Hollie » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
@OtherSideOfTheTracks
@Hollie

So glad to hear from you two! Thanks for checking in.

OSOTT- Are you feeling better? You know that you and yours are at the top of my prayer list along with Catticus, her folks, and the rest of the caregivers here.

Hollie- They are saying "self-containment" ie staying away from large crowds and infected people, is the key to being safe. Sounds like you are and have been self-contained for some time. Be cautious but don't panic or even worry yourself to death. You are probably in the safest situation of us all.

Mamasan
Hi JQ
I guess we are self contained. Lol. This Saturday will be 2 weeks since we went to Lewiston/Clarkston. So far so good. But for however long it takes, I will be staying in town and along the river. It's not like we're surrounded by people either. I doubt we'll be bored either.
I am very worried for everyone ~out there ~. Especially those in unsanitary conditions.
Stay safe! 🍄
4 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago

Hey Blossom! She has improved but not out of the woods. The doctors have run every test - her WBC count is a lot better and she is own three different antibiotics and for fungus. She couldn't move a muscle or talk and we even tested for a stroke with CT's and such but thankfully that wasn't it. They can't figure out why she is getting infected as she doesn't have a fistula. But she is speaking more and moving some. I still feed her. They want her to move to a rehab facility (they will still nurse her with antibiotics) but she needs physical therapy. My concern is that IF the coronavirus gets worse - and it looks like it will - that if it hits the rehab facility (also a nursing home in a separate wing) then they will go into lock down and I won't be able to see her or heck, I may not can leave. Mercy. So, my decision to make is bring her home and try to get pt to come twice a week (not enough) or let her go to a rehab for about 14 days. Our nurse says let her go to rehab. Alabama hasn't had it's first case of coronavirus yet but it's just a matter of time.

I would love to know what you would do if you (any advice welcome from anyone out there) were in my shoes. ?

I also posted in "R U going to do anything different now that the Coronavirus is a pandemic ?"

RS, hahaha! I have quite the arsonal too (as mostly my husbands) but I just bought a new gun a month ago that I haven't practiced with. But I pity the fool that comes to my house. I'm a quick trigger too. I've done a lot of training but in simulations, I'll shoot first ask questions later. :| <<< been trying to work on that.
@OtherSideOfTheTracks
I actually did reply to your post in the other thread! Regarding PT...if you think it's safe I would have them come to your house as you mentioned &/or if you're up to it, have them show you how. The PTs here know people sometimes want to learn how to do them at home because alot of times insurance won't pay. Under the (coronavirus) circumstances they should be flexible, I hope.💞
Thank you, Blossom! I know a lot but my strength is not so good and mom doesn't listen to me as well as a big strong PT woman/man. She minds her manners with them..... me she says, "later."
I get that! I'm familiar with 'baby girl doesn't know better than me' thinking!

I think you should definitely have them come there if possible. You could use their time with her to get some much needed rest. Win win!
4 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago

@OtherSideOfTheTracks
I actually did reply to your post in the other thread! Regarding PT...if you think it's safe I would have them come to your house as you mentioned &/or if you're up to it, have them show you how. The PTs here know people sometimes want to learn how to do them at home because alot of times insurance won't pay. Under the (coronavirus) circumstances they should be flexible, I hope.💞
Thank you, Blossom! I know a lot but my strength is not so good and mom doesn't listen to me as well as a big strong PT woman/man. She minds her manners with them..... me she says, "later."

I think you should definitely have them come there if possible. You could use their time with her to get some much needed rest. Win win!
I'm leaning to your way of thinking. I would "die" if mom was on lockdown. I would go nuts.
3 x

Blossom

4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago

I'm leaning to your way of thinking. I would "die" if mom was on lockdown. I would go nuts.
There was a video online when I was looking for updates on virus that I refused to click on because I knew I would cry. It was an elderly woman (I believe using a walker for balance) who was standing outside a retirement home talking to her husband on the telephone as they looked at each other through the window. He was in quarantine. So so sad :cry:
4 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago

There was a video online when I was looking for updates on virus that I refused to click on because I knew I would cry. It was an elderly woman (I believe using a walker for balance) who was standing outside a retirement home talking to her husband on the telephone as they looked at each other through the window. He was in quarantine. So so sad :cry:
I saw that and it wrecked me. It's the saddest thing ever. I'm terrified of that.
5 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

@Blossom

At least at that home they were letting them talk on the phone. At our infamous nursing home they said any request for contact had to be in writing for privacy reasons. And the request had to be made to their home office in Tennessee or Kentucky (can't remember which). Then they would investigate to make sure they were relatives, and then would mail the OK back. So we're talking a week at least. It was soooo sad to see the relatives holding up the signs out side the chain link fence "Papa Harold If you are OK pull your drapes".
3 x

Blossom

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
@Blossom

At least at that home they were letting them talk on the phone. At our infamous nursing home they said any request for contact had to be in writing for privacy reasons. And the request had to be made to their home office in Tennessee or Kentucky (can't remember which). Then they would investigate to make sure they were relatives, and then would mail the OK back. So we're talking a week at least. It was soooo sad to see the relatives holding up the signs out side the chain link fence "Papa Harold If you are OK pull your drapes".
JQ,
I did see that & it too made me want to cry.
4 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

@OtherSideOfTheTracks
I was thinking about your dilemma with mom.
After listening to family in that seattle nursing home devastated that they cant visit their mom, I realized that in this unusual time, we can be controlled on seeing or not seeing our loved ones.
I know they are doing it to limit the spread of the virus, but if my parents were alive, no way would I put them in the nursing home, if I might not be able to visit.
If you can get help with Mom, take her home. You cant do it all by yourself.

Im praying that this nightmare will soon end👍
In my area, the supermarket shelves are bare. I stocked up on canned food to use in case of prolonged food shortage.
Being armed is not far fetched. If this virus depleted our supplies, there will be plenty of humans trying to burglarize houses to get supplies.
People who would never steal, change their mind when they
are hungry.
I hope it never comes to that 😳😥

Hope all of our Tribe and loved ones have a HEALTHY, SAFE WEEKEND ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
5 x

Angelflutter

Post by Angelflutter » 4 years ago

We have quite an * as well. At all times we have pistols down in the side cushions of the sofa, loves seat and recliner. Hubs has two pistols under his bed pillows and a shotgun right beside the bed. We also have pistols under the pillows in the bedroom in the basement. As hubs says..... breaking in might be easy.....getting out is going to be hard. Just don't shoot someone in the back.. to the cops, that means the "offender" was leaving. Bill is also a shoot and ask questions later type of guy. I might be nice enough to ask.....but, I really think if someone is looking for food they would be polite enough to knock on your door to ask for it. At least I would hope so. I am hoping that people don't get stupid over this virus and do stupid things. You have to wonder. I still can't get over that video I saw of those 3 ladies fighting over that 1 package of toilet paper...... soap, water and a washrag. C'mon people. Back in the day people used corn cobs and magazine / catalog pages to wipe. How quickly people can turn into uncivilized beasts. Like I stated in an earlier post.. I am very well stocked up on both food and meds. If I need to go to the grocery, I will be going to smaller neighborhood store... staying out of Wal-Mart. If I happen to see TP and pepper towels, I will pick up a package. But I certainly am not going to start hoarding. Other people need those items too. My a $$ isn't made of gold . Luckily when I went to Rural King last week I picked up 3 packages of 100 potty pads each for the 15 pound sausage with legs. Wasn't hoarding, just a ways to go to get there ..thought I'd save another trip since I need to be home to take care of mom and hubs. Some dr. Was on GMA this or nine saying this virus could be hanging in for a possibility of 8 weeks. OY VAY. Take care, be cautious and be safe. I would have physical therapy come to your home and show you how to do her PT. They will also give you a print out of the exercises. That's what I did with my mom. PT came 3 times a week. But I had the printouts, so I did PT with mom every day. After 30 days M'Care stopped paying, so PT coming to the house quit. But that depends on the client. In your mother's case...they may do more than 30 days. It all depends on the therapists recommendations.
4 x

Blossom

@Angelflutter

I'd be afraid to knock on your door!...ya'll got some fire power in there! :P Maybe I would come in walking backward? :shock:

I live in an area where (sadly) hunting is a big deal. I've always been anti hunting (& yes I get the spiel from hunters regarding the necessity of it & yes they get mine). Anyway I tell everyone, if I were hungry & the only way to eat was hunt game...I would hunt...might never get anything but I would try if the alternative was starvation. Sooooo many don't have that option.

Dear Lord please don't let people become desperate for food.🙏

Glad you didn't get any severe weather! Being south of you...got several rounds of storms with wind, heavy downpours, thunder & lightning before it finally moved east last night.

Take care of you, mom, hubs, & the sausage w/legs💞
3 x