Why?

Sam

Why?

Post by Sam » 4 years ago

I'm watching the world fall apart over toilet paper. Did I miss something? All these sheeple causing panic when, it you really had to, a wash cloth would work just as well. And, I swear this is true. Recently, I was in line at the store. Before the craziness. A young woman in front of me was purchasing disposable diapers. Now, I don't have kids or any contact with them. I saw how much she was paying for one package and was shocked. When she left, I turned to the clerk (maybe early 20's) and said, "wouldn't it be cheaper to use cloth diapers?" She said, "what's that? " I laughed. She didn't. So I and said, "you know, CLOTH diapers. Reusable, washable diapers?" She just stared at me and said she had never heard of such a thing. The woman behind me asked her if she was kidding. The clerk said, " No, are you joking ME? " I wish I had gotten it on video. But I can't see how panicking the world with "THE SHELVES ARE EMPTY!!!" is helping . Not when there are simple solutions for some things. It's just like, "OMG, they just shut down Disneyland!" Yeah, until the end of the month. Which is two weeks away. So everyone please stop panicking, stop hoarding, and just stay home for a couple of weeks. If you can. The less we travel, the less the virus travels. Also, I'm not saying don't be prepared. Within reason.
3 x

JewelryQueen

Re: Why?

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

@Sam

My son Jason is 45. When he was a baby he was allergic to plastic and latex and couldn't wear disposable diapers. Back then I was a pariah among the new mommies for using cloth diapers. I was teased unmercifully. And he couldn't wear the plastic overpants so he had to wear doubled up cloth diapers. And, mind you even 45 years ago, cloth diapers were hard to find. I ended up making some of them myself.

So my sister went to the store today. Some young buck came barreling down an aisle with three 50 lb bags of dog food and ran smack dab into a tiny elderly lady. Whirled her around and darn near knocked her on her keister. A shout was heard throughout the store "Hey Johnny (one of the stockers) your brother just ran down an old lady! Thankfully a riot did not ensue, but I guess it was close. Tempers are apparently very short right now!

(I want to know what kind of dog needs 150 pounds of dog food. I had a 180 pound Mastiff and he ate about 50 pounds or less a month!)
3 x

Vicky
Answers: 1

Post by Vicky » 4 years ago

@JewelryQueen
@Sam
One of my sons, now in his 40’s, was also allergic to the latex pants that babies wore over the cloth diapers. So, He only wore the cloth diaper. Every time he wet it went thru everything, including the crib sheet. Putting him into 2 diapers helped a bit.
I wouldn't dare put him in disposable diapers.
Those days baby bottles were sterilized. My day was done, when the diapers and all the baby clothes were washed, and baby bottles were sterilized.
I basically lysoled the house. Of course once I was in Medicine, I learned that we need to expose babies to bacteria, so they develop a resistance.
WHO KNEW 🤯My day could have been so much easier😇
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Sam wrote:
4 years ago
I'm watching the world fall apart over toilet paper. Did I miss something? All these sheeple causing panic when, it you really had to, a wash cloth would work just as well. And, I swear this is true. Recently, I was in line at the store. Before the craziness. A young woman in front of me was purchasing disposable diapers. Now, I don't have kids or any contact with them. I saw how much she was paying for one package and was shocked. When she left, I turned to the clerk (maybe early 20's) and said, "wouldn't it be cheaper to use cloth diapers?" She said, "what's that? " I laughed. She didn't. So I and said, "you know, CLOTH diapers. Reusable, washable diapers?" She just stared at me and said she had never heard of such a thing. The woman behind me asked her if she was kidding. The clerk said, " No, are you joking ME? " I wish I had gotten it on video. But I can't see how panicking the world with "THE SHELVES ARE EMPTY!!!" is helping . Not when there are simple solutions for some things. It's just like, "OMG, they just shut down Disneyland!" Yeah, until the end of the month. Which is two weeks away. So everyone please stop panicking, stop hoarding, and just stay home for a couple of weeks. If you can. The less we travel, the less the virus travels. Also, I'm not saying don't be prepared. Within reason.
People, some, are going off the deep end.

Problem is for people who just want to buy what they normally buy can’t. Like me.

So...they have to stock up more of what they normally buy, like me, because those panic buyers will buy it all and there will be nothing left.

I dealt with it yesterday and now have quite a lot. I already did have a lot but in Or. where daughter lives the shelves are bare. Being 21 she was not prepared for this life issue. I know soon she will come looking for things she can’t find.
She knows mama and daddy are always prepared. Even when there is not a problem she knows our pantry and paper supply shelves are full.

Problem now is she can’t come here until she has been away from her college for 2 weeks. Just in case. She hasn’t been in class, or student teaching, for about 5 days.

I told her yesterday she and her hubby better go out and stock up on what they can find for now. She likely won’t have any money but that I can just transfer to her.
2 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

I can rough it if I have to, but I'd rather not. I'm not as prepared as some but time will tell...
2 x

Angelflutter

Post by Angelflutter » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
@Sam

My son Jason is 45. When he was a baby he was allergic to plastic and latex and couldn't wear disposable diapers. Back then I was a pariah among the new mommies for using cloth diapers. I was teased unmercifully. And he couldn't wear the plastic overpants so he had to wear doubled up cloth diapers. And, mind you even 45 years ago, cloth diapers were hard to find. I ended up making some of them myself.

So my sister went to the store today. Some young buck came barreling down an aisle with three 50 lb bags of dog food and ran smack dab into a tiny elderly lady. Whirled her around and darn near knocked her on her keister. A shout was heard throughout the store "Hey Johnny (one of the stockers) your brother just ran down an old lady! Thankfully a riot did not ensue, but I guess it was close. Tempers are apparently very short right now!

(I want to know what kind of dog needs 150 pounds of dog food. I had a 180 pound Mastiff and he ate about 50 pounds or less a month!)
Hopefully he was purchasing for the Humane Society. I can't imagine ANY single dog ( or even 2 ) going through that much food.
3 x

RS

Post by RS » 4 years ago

Angelflutter wrote:
4 years ago
JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
@Sam

Hopefully he was purchasing for the Humane Society. I can't imagine ANY single dog ( or even 2 ) going through that much food.
He was panic buying. People are afraid they won’t be able to get food for their pets. So they buy all they can at once.
2 x

honey

Post by honey » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
I can rough it if I have to, but I'd rather not. I'm not as prepared as some but time will tell...
okay to rough it for a little while 'awesome Blossom.' what
are your tips for roughing it?
the stores are not having a problem with new stock arriving,
it's just keeping it on the shelves. I read earlier that the 24hr
Walmarts are closing at night so that they can fill up the shelves.

on a regular basis, when my grocery list is light, I pick up extra's
like tp, detergent, pet food and maybe i'll find sanitizer's before too
long, because I hate lugging big loads into the house. I am currently
ready for about anything, but like everyone else, I will go back to
the market, quick trips, for some fresh foods. I am fortunate enough
to be able to get to the market early AM and then outta there early
hopefully to avoid long lines.

I happened to pick up an 80 pound bag of dog food at Sam's in
December, one lug and 'the head of the house' is all set. :)

when passing the pizza joint, I most likely get two or three pizza's
and freeze them. I am not too afraid of the prepared foods warning.
because it is Lent, every church and fire hall are selling fish and I
just order take outs.

everything will be okay soon.
(((hug)))
Love ya bunches, honey
3 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

honey wrote:
4 years ago
Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
okay to rough it for a little while 'awesome Blossom.' what
are your tips for roughing it?
the stores are not having a problem with new stock arriving,
it's just keeping it on the shelves. I read earlier that the 24hr
Walmarts are closing at night so that they can fill up the shelves.

on a regular basis, when my grocery list is light, I pick up extra's
like tp, detergent, pet food and maybe i'll find sanitizer's before too
long, because I hate lugging big loads into the house. I am currently
ready for about anything, but like everyone else, I will go back to
the market, quick trips, for some fresh foods. I am fortunate enough
to be able to get to the market early AM and then outta there early
hopefully to avoid long lines.

I happened to pick up an 80 pound bag of dog food at Sam's in
December, one lug and 'the head of the house' is all set. :)

when passing the pizza joint, I most likely get two or three pizza's
and freeze them. I am not too afraid of the prepared foods warning.
because it is Lent, every church and fire hall are selling fish and I
just order take outs.

everything will be okay soon.
(((hug)))
Love ya bunches, honey
As some have said, use a rag. If I must I will but would rather not! Like you, I will grab extra paper products if available.

That's a good idea about the pizza!
2 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 4 years ago

Maybe the guy owns more than one dog or owns a dog kennel and needed that much but than again he might be stocking up because of the virus. I have a friend who lives here and her son lives in Italy, she posted a picture on Facebook that he took of himself yesterday in a very long line outside a food store, he was wearing a mask and said they have to wait in these long lines and only a few people are allowed in the store at a time, they are sanitized before entering the store and again as they leave and the food is being rationed so they can not hoard it. I hope it does not come to that here. France has closed all stores except food stores and pharmacies. In his picture you could see the never ending line of people waiting to be allowed in the store to get food. Where I live all schools are closing and many business's as well. Even the state house has stopped all meetings ect..
2 x