Sunday (3/29).Coffee ☕☕☕

JewelryQueen

Re: Sunday (3/29).Coffee ☕☕☕

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

Margaret

Both diarrhea and vomiting can cause Thunder to be dehydrated. Two simple tests to see if he is 1) gently pull the scruff of his neck like you were his mom picking him up. Let go and the skin should immediately snap back to normal position. If it stays tented for more than 1 to 2 seconds he is dehydrated. 2) Feel his gums. They should feel wet not sticky. Lightly press a finger onto his gums. A white spot should appear but Immediately turn pink again. If not, he is likely dehydrated.

A study many years ago found that many cats do not like their water RIGHT NEXT to their food. Try moving his water dish about a foot away. Also a little tuna juice in his water might entice him to drink. Most cats also prefer their water out of metal or glass bowels as plastic holds odors, and as we all know they have superb sniffers! If he is showing symptoms of dehydration try a wet food versus a dry food as he will absorb some of his water requirements from the 80 percent water in the canned food versus the 10 percent water in the dry food.

Cats can go 2 to 10 days without eating depending on their age, health, starting weight, etc. Any prolonged period without food is dangerous as the cat will pull protein from their body and fat with it that their livers cannot process. A fatty liver is potentially fatal as it is like a human having severe cirrhosis of the liver.

All of us love our babies. Some of them just have more fur than others.
4 x

Margaret

Post by Margaret » 4 years ago

Hi Gypsy
Iam sorry to hear Saber needs medican. This fur baby is lucky because you are a great mom with a sound plan to help.
I have let go of all the strees as you suggested. I have gone back to bed for a rest. I especially like the free advise part. More money for the rising aution.

The cats are sleeping peaceful even through the thunder, lightening and heavy rain.
Have an awesome evening.
3 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
Gypsy wrote:
4 years ago
Margaret wrote:
4 years ago
Blossom, honey, Gypsy
Iam so sorry it seems to be all about Thunder instead of the Tribe.
Love you all.
I don't know if Thunder is dehydrated he has been eating everyday but I guess throwing up can cause that. The vet didn't say anything. Maybe I need to go to another vet. I hate to burn bridges but Thunder comes first. Everone is closed today.
As the stomach turns.
What do I owe for all of your psychiatric help.
Have a awsome day.
@Margaret
Dont fret we all have fur babies we love.....I wish I had sage advice to help your kitty.....I've got to go looking for a sulphur medicine for Saber but have to wait till Wednesday to do it, am using neosporin for now as it's all I had on hand. All advice.....good or bad FREE of charge 🥰🥰🥰🥰 take.care -Gypsy
Gypsy,
What's happened to Saber? If you want to share...
Allerigic reaction to flea medicine had been hiding under bed and when he finally.came out he has pulled and licked almost all the hair off his hind legs. Medication was labeled as all natural with no chemicals. I sent picture of him this morning to manufacturer of the flea med. 😡
4 x

Margaret

Hi jewelryQueen

I was so happy to get your message. Thanks for enjecting some humor into my day.
You must have sence the panic in my postings.
About the only thing I have been doing right is feeding him grain free wet food, with dry food.
I just tried to check his gums but he bit my hand ( very lightly.) So I think I will try lifting the fur next it might be less painful for me not him.
Some tuna juice in a glass watter bowl sounds ingenious. He has stopped drinking from his plastic watter fountain.
It seems the rain is helping the cats sleep.
Have you had a chance to go to youtub and check out Pluto the dogs crisis advise for his 2 legged friends, it is the only funny thing I have to share.
Iam going back to the aution for some fun. Have an awesome evening. My greatest gratitude.
3 x

JewelryQueen

Gypsy

Just because something is natural does not mean your precious kitty won´t be allergic to it. The herbal sprays that cause the most allergies in cats contain geranium, lavender, or eucalyptus oils. I have even seen pennyroyal oil recommended, and it can not only cause allergic reactions== it can also cause seizures in cats or even kill them!

I recommend a couple of drops of lemongrass, rosemary, or tea tree oil in a small spray bottle. Some people use peppermint or cedarwood oil but I find these sometimes repel the cats as well as the fleas, because they don´t like the smell. Wondercide makes a spray for sale on the big river but it is a bit pricey. Whether you buy or make your own it may be wise to spray on a hand towel and then rub into the fur, as the sound of a spray bottle can be offputting to cats. Try a little on one leg first, as animals can be allergic to anything just like us. Good luck!!
4 x

Margaret

Oh my goodness Gypsy you just sent chills up my spine. Ian so sorry.

Is it too late to take my mothers advise and that was to stick to gold fish. She is probably laughing from heaven at me.
3 x

honey

Post by honey » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
Gypsy

Just because something is natural does not mean your precious kitty won´t be allergic to it. The herbal sprays that cause the most allergies in cats contain geranium, lavender, or eucalyptus oils. I have even seen pennyroyal oil recommended, and it can not only cause allergic reactions== it can also cause seizures in cats or even kill them!

I recommend a couple of drops of lemongrass, rosemary, or tea tree oil in a small spray bottle. Some people use peppermint or cedarwood oil but I find these sometimes repel the cats as well as the fleas, because they don´t like the smell. Wondercide makes a spray for sale on the big river but it is a bit pricey. Whether you buy or make your own it may be wise to spray on a hand towel and then rub into the fur, as the sound of a spray bottle can be offputting to cats. Try a little on one leg first, as animals can be allergic to anything just like us. Good luck!!
JQ and Gypsy.......Maybe Opatra will work on Saber's hind legs!!! :lol:
Selling Now, Lowest Price ever! Okay, please forgive me, I'm and idiot.
1 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
Gypsy

JewelryQueen
You nailed it this product had eucalyptus oil in it. I just gave him a oatmeal bath to ease the itching. I dont have those other items on hand. The feed store I have used.in past is only open on Wednesday but I'll drive a few towns over and see if I can find the sulphur creme that I have used before. I am really upset about his condition. Going try to find tomorrow. Thanks-Gypsy
2 x

JewelryQueen

Margaret

You are more than welcome. Happy to be of help. People around here call me Doc, but not Vet (not yet anyway). I hope your precious one is feeling better soon!

PS The tenting deal works for people too to see if they are dehydrated. I you lightly pull up the skin on the back of your hand by pinching between your thumb and forefinger and then let go, it should snap back as well. If it doesn´t, you need fluids.
0 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
Gypsy

My cousin's cat started seizing and almost died (but he lived!) after she put flea powder in the carpet that said it was organic. I don't know the details but I will try to find out.
2 x