BEST DIY Mask-no sewing and no elastic

JewelryQueen

BEST DIY Mask-no sewing and no elastic

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

OK guys--Here we go!

You need some tightly woven microfiber (Like the sheet I got from SLC in an ugly color) OR polyester fabric (an old swimsuit or ugly pair of pants), an old cotton T-shirt, and some scissors.

Cut two rectangles approx 7 inches by 16 inches out of the microfiber or polyester. Cut one rectangular piece the same size from the cotton material. Hold one side of any rectangle up to your face with the edge extending past your ear about 1 1/2 inches and make a vertical cut just large enough for your ear to fit through. Put your ear through the hole and stretch the fabric so it fits snugly across your face and mark a slit with a felt pen on this other side where the middle of your ear is. Take off and make a cut where you marked. Try it on! If the fit is right use this piece for a template and make the same cuts on the other two pieces. Lay the cotton rectangle down the two other rectangles on top, and Voila! You have a mask. Wear it with the cotton material closest to your face for comfort. You may want to make a few of these as they should be washed and dried after every use. A Seattle doctor showed this on TV today and said it works as well as the simple paper masks you can buy.

So--we need something to do, we need to clean out our closets, and we need masks. A win-win situation!
5 x

JewelryQueen

Re: BEST DIY Mask-no sewing and no elastic

--
Geez guys. This is really easy. Maybe I didn't explain it clearly? Give it a try.
3 x

Dreamcatcher7

Post by Dreamcatcher7 » 4 years ago

Sounds like a great idea! maybe post some pics to help visualize for more visual learners like muah! lol
1 x

Kat

Post by Kat » 4 years ago

💗 Thanks!!! I'll have try this. ☺️
1 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
OK guys--Here we go!

You need some tightly woven microfiber (Like the sheet I got from SLC in an ugly color) OR polyester fabric (an old swimsuit or ugly pair of pants), an old cotton T-shirt, and some scissors.

Cut two rectangles approx 7 inches by 16 inches out of the microfiber or polyester. Cut one rectangular piece the same size from the cotton material. Hold one side of any rectangle up to your face with the edge extending past your ear about 1 1/2 inches and make a vertical cut just large enough for your ear to fit through. Put your ear through the hole and stretch the fabric so it fits snugly across your face and mark a slit with a felt pen on this other side where the middle of your ear is. Take off and make a cut where you marked. Try it on! If the fit is right use this piece for a template and make the same cuts on the other two pieces. Lay the cotton rectangle down the two other rectangles on top, and Voila! You have a mask. Wear it with the cotton material closest to your face for comfort. You may want to make a few of these as they should be washed and dried after every use. A Seattle doctor showed this on TV today and said it works as well as the simple paper masks you can buy.

So--we need something to do, we need to clean out our closets, and we need masks. A win-win situation!
@JewelryQueen
Once again you are on top of things. I took screenshots of diy masks. Today at the grocery, for the first time I saw a couple (50s-60s) wearing masks & they appeared to be homemade. And no one was looking at them strangely including me.

Breaking news! First covid case in my town reported last night.
3 x

JustaShopper

Post by JustaShopper » 4 years ago

Blossom wrote:
4 years ago
JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
OK guys--Here we go!

@JewelryQueen
Once again you are on top of things. I took screenshots of diy masks. Today at the grocery, for the first time I saw a couple (50s-60s) wearing masks & they appeared to be homemade. And no one was looking at them strangely including me.

Breaking news! First covid case in my town reported last night.
This great info thanks, I ordered masks on the airing yet I still show no shipping, Has anyone who ordered theirs received a shipped tracking number ? I have called everyday since the invoice.Any reply appreciated.
Blessings to all.
3 x

JewelryQueen

@Blossom

Thanks! These are very easy and take about 6 minutes to make. Maybe 10 for the first "set". And the best part is almost everyone will have the materials on hand.

Admittedly I went further and hemmed by hand around the edges, to keep them from fraying with the repeated washings that I anticipate they will be getting. I also "tacked" the three layers together with a few stitches so I can just "grab and wash" without counting how many rectangles I have. Also, I think they are a bit more aesthetically appealing that way. But it is really not necessary!
2 x

Blossom

Post by Blossom » 4 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
@Blossom

Thanks! These are very easy and take about 6 minutes to make. Maybe 10 for the first "set". And the best part is almost everyone will have the materials on hand.

Admittedly I went further and hemmed by hand around the edges, to keep them from fraying with the repeated washings that I anticipate they will be getting. I also "tacked" the three layers together with a few stitches so I can just "grab and wash" without counting how many rectangles I have. Also, I think they are a bit more aesthetically appealing that way. But it is really not necessary!
I'm actually a bit of a seamstress. (My mom sewed often.)

Step back...I have a sewing machine & I know how to use it! Me no likee hand sewing!!
4 x

Margaret

Post by Margaret » 4 years ago

I told my husband I have a BRAND NEW pair of cotton panties that he could wear. Ok iam being mean to him and gross with you guys. Iam in just one of those wearied moods. Comic relief.

Ok Jewelry Queen where do you live. Only kidding.

It is too close to home. Do you have someone to go to the store for you?

I better say goodnight before I get blocked, bared and kicked off totally.
2 x

JewelryQueen

@Blossom

I get you. My Great Grandmother (who lived with my family most of my life) was a tailor. I was required to learn to sew. Right now my good old Viking machine is in storage. Even if it wasn't, I probably would just hand sew this. I am getting lazy in my old age.
1 x