Kitten food

Harlequin

Re: Kitten food

Post by Harlequin » 4 years ago

Wow that’s a lot a letter boxes to change yuck I don’t do that anymore my daughter does it
1 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

@honey

We all know I'm not a vet and I don't even play one on TV...But yes dogs can get arthritis in what would be the equivalent of wrists and ankles in people. If he did not resist or complain before and has not had his claws trimmed to the quick, then that is quite possibly the problem. It hurts.
First check and make sure no claws are split or torn from the nail bed. If not I suggest you sneak him a baby aspirin or two depending on how much he weighs.(yes dogs can have aspirin) and then give it a go. I would first get a tiny bit of his favorite treat. Give it to him. Then slowly present the clippers (do not try to clip just yet and immediately present a bit of the treat again so that he associates the clippers with food. Dogs are extremely food driven. You may have to do this multiple times a day for several days to get the desired effect. Don't skip any days as dogs memories are not as long as we would like to think in terms of positive reinforcement terms. Extremely negative or traumatic events are a horse of another color.

Hope this helps.

(The last dog I dog-sat I had the quiet spinning- looks like a lint remover roll but with sandpaper on it- battery operated thingamajig.) I only had to use it once, but since it was not my dog I didn't want to risk the clippers. Or my fingers.
5 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

@honey

If you give your dog aspirin make sure you give it with food to avoid any stomach upset. I don't usually give dogs hot dogs due to the preservatives in them. but they do make excellent pill delivery devices. One baby aspiring in each half otta do it. Pills hidden in a balled up piece of cheese works too.
4 x

honey

Post by honey » 4 years ago

Thank you JewelryQueen,
Missy does have a history in all her 14yrs.
When she was just a pup, a BIG kid ( he was
very young with a growth spurt disorder )
accidently jumped on one of pups paws. I
have meloxicam from the vet for her when
I know that she is in real trouble.
It has been killing me that I can't get her
nails trimmed and that it will cause further
pain if I don't do something. So, with yer
help, I have come up with a plan, to admin.
the baby aspirin ( no problem sneaking it in
cheese ) and frequent short walks if
she can tolerate about at least half hour a
day. I will see if her nails will wear down.
We just got back from a nice walk-ies!!! and
she seems no worse for the wear. It will be
good for both of us to go out since the weather
is not bitter cold.

Hoping that you and Sissy are have a good time.
You're good company for each other.
God bless, (((hugs))) Love ya
5 x

anniebelle

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
4 years ago
@anniebelle

I too do not recommend Science Diet.

A reasonably priced yet good quality wet food is Wellness Kitten Pate Chicken Entree. It is available on Chewy. You can order IAMS Proactive Health Kitten Dry Cat Food there as well. That is a good quality dry food and budget friendly. If you come up with an order over $50 the shipping is free.
IN MY OPINION it is best to start out a very young kitten on wet food only initially. AS SOON as their teeth have developed enough to chew dry food adequately add that to the diet. Keep fresh water available at all times!!! I place the water dish at least a foot away from the food for multiple reasons. Also I prefer metal or glass dishes especially for the water as they hold less smell and are easier to thoroughly clean

When you are in the BRIEF wet food only period you will need to supply 2 cans of food a day, ideally 1/2 a can at about 4 hours intervals. This would be for about 2 wks to a month depending on how old your kitten is when you get it.

For the next stage I go with 1/2 can wet food in the morning. Cover the can and put the remainder in the fridge. Remove that dish when the kitten is done and wash. Put about a cup of dry food out (in a different dish) and allow the kitten to munch at will throughout the day. If your kitten does not eat it all, you can just keep adding the dry to what remains as dry food has a very long life. Then in the early evening provide the other 1/2 can of wet food. A fresh water supply is critical at this time as a lot of the water previously provided by the wet food is gone.

There is a lot of debate about this but I believe a wet food only diet can contribute to tartar buildup on the teeth and sometimes even tooth loss if you don't have your cat knocked out and their teeth cleaned every so often. That can be very pricey and not good for the cat.

A dry food only diet can lead to urinary tract infections and other problems as many cats don't drink enough water.

Wow I am wordy. So in conclusion if you get the long haired cat that is your heart's desire, be sure to begin by daily combing their fur with a fine comb and as they get older move up to a stiff brush. Otherwise you not only will have hair fur everywhere but the cat may get mats. Sometimes mats get severe enough that they start to cut off the blood supply to the skin. Not good! Then the vet will need to put them under and shave them. Traumatic for the cat... and for your wallet to the tune of $400 as an idiotic friend of mine learned. I also have accustomed any long hair cats in particular to getting a bath fairly often. This must begin in the kitten stage. Long hair is tough for a cat to maintain with only self-grooming, and then you also have the hair ball issue. Just be sure the water is not too cold or hot. Lukewarm should work.

Most of all, enjoy your new friend. Cuddle and snuggle and love as much as you want! It will be good for you both.

@jewelryqueen, I was revisiting this thread, rereading your response. Lots of good information. Thanks again. One question though, why do you keep the food and water dishes at least a foot apart (for several reasons)?
1 x