Tuesday ( 5/12) Coffee ☕☕☕

Gypsy

Tuesday ( 5/12) Coffee ☕☕☕

Post by Gypsy » 4 years ago

Good Morning Tuesday

Ladies - I hope you will indulge me just abit. My heads a little foggy this morning and I'm distracted. I'm repeating a blog that I wrote back in April for our other site.
JQ.💞 thank you !

3:45 am. cst

Are you a child of the 50's in a land that time forgot. Before the days of Dylan and the birth of Camelot.
Ike was in the White House and Reagan was a Democrat.
We danced to 'little darlin" and sang to 'Stagger Lee'. We cried for Buddy Holly and Eddie Fisher married Liz.
YES ! Elvis was the KIng of Rock and coke just came in bottles.
We fell for Frankie Avalon and Annette was oh so sweet !!!
We'd never heard of microwaves or telephones in cars. We were the innocents and Peyton Place was po(rn)

Then there was the 60's, and despite all you have heard, those of us there DO remember (most of) those turbulent years !
Wars in Korea and "Conflict" in Vietnam. Young men sent off to fight a war, no one ever wanted.
Beatles weren't just singers we loved our little "Bug" cars !
Three Dog Night, The Who and Rolling Stones were some that sang the songs we played on our stereos.
We swooned over Clint Eastwood and John Wayne, the cowboys on the big screen.
But, Bond....James Bond,...he could not be beat.
We finally had three channels on our tube TV's.
Star Trek , The Man From U.N.C.L.E and MONKEES ruled our screens.
At Christmas there was Etch A Sketch and LEGOS, imagination ruled and Twister was a blast that led to Spirogrqphs.
Oh, there was so much going on ! I could keep typing for another week !!!

But the 70's came skating in and changed things even more.
Shag carpets, and Olive green appliances, every housewife dream.
Hip hugger bell bottom jeans and disco was the Queen.
Van McCoy taught us to hustle and we all learned to spell Y.M.C.A.
Pet rocks and Mood Rings were all the rage ! (Yeah, mood rings are back !) JAWS may have ruled the waters, but Aaron Spelling ruled our nights.
Did you play with CLACKERS they drove most parents MAD !!!
Of course there was TIGER BEAT - Donny -♡ Bobby -♡ David ♡ dreamy boys who made teenage girls cry and scream

But now its 2020 and 40 years have passed. WOW
can you believe it !!!!
What do YOU remember from way back when .....

Go ahead and do the "Shag" then "Hustle" your way across the floor to do a 'Disco" tribute with the "BeeGees" ! Pull out the 78's - 33's or 45's and 8 tracks (some of you will be clueless to this reference) pick YOUR favorites and GET DOWN !!!!!

ladies - my kitties are fine.😊😊😊 and I'll be back to normal tomorrow I promise. The coffee is here and I could use the company today.

💞💞💞 (((HUGS))) -Gypsy
10 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Re: Tuesday ( 5/12) Coffee ☕☕☕

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

Most enjoyable post and I loved everything you picked out from the good ole days as they were all my favorite things to remember. I also was huge into Barbies. I had the originals given to my sister but those ended up being the "villains" in my make believe and Malibu Barbie and Ken were the cool ones and couple.

I also think of slinky's, Baby Tender Love, Star Trek and one endless summer before 6th grade of Watergate on every channel (a kids nightmare - no Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, Bewitched, I Dream of Jenny, that ruined a kids tv on summer break.

I also remember America's Bicentennial year long celebration, Mark Spitz and Elton John's first album. Eight-tracks bought from Columbia House advertisement in Parade in the Sunday paper - was it 12 8-tracks for $.01 penny? The bulky living room stereo where I played Mac Davis, Don Mclean (American Pie took up the entire first track and half of the second track), Simon and Garfunkel, Statler Brothers and the Fifth Dimension. Sunday lunches after Church (mom would make a meal before church so that she would have lunch ready for us when we got home from church at 12 noon!!! with dessert with plenty if someone stopped by!! <<< that was a super mom. Then I would look forward to watching "The Wild Kingdom" at 6PM praying Daddy's ballgames didn't run overtime.

Anyway, it was great thinking back to those days Gypsy!
10 x

Gypsy

OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
4 years ago
Most enjoyable post and I loved everything you picked out from the good ole days as they were all my favorite things to remember. I also was huge into Barbies. I had the originals given to my sister but those ended up being the "villains" in my make believe and Malibu Barbie and Ken were the cool ones and couple.

I also think of slinky's, Baby Tender Love, Star Trek and one endless summer before 6th grade of Watergate on every channel (a kids nightmare - no Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, Bewitched, I Dream of Jenny, that ruined a kids tv on summer break.

I also remember America's Bicentennial year long celebration, Mark Spitz and Elton John's first album. Eight-tracks bought from Columbia House advertisement in Parade in the Sunday paper - was it 12 8-tracks for $.01 penny? The bulky living room stereo where I played Mac Davis, Don Mclean (American Pie took up the entire first track and half of the second track), Simon and Garfunkel, Statler Brothers and the Fifth Dimension. Sunday lunches after Church (mom would make a meal before church so that she would have lunch ready for us when we got home from church at 12 noon!!! with dessert with plenty if someone stopped by!! <<< that was a super mom. Then I would look forward to watching "The Wild Kingdom" at 6PM praying Daddy's ballgames didn't run overtime.

Anyway, it was great thinking back to those days Gypsy!
Yes !!!! It took me soooo long to try and narrow all the things I wrote down so it might make sense !!!!! My notebook has pages and pages of things listed !!!! Thank you for adding yours 🥰🥰🥰
9 x

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » 4 years ago

The hula hoop, Pogo stick What was that thingamajig that had like a nylon rope some type of rope it was kind of long and it had a hard ball on each side of the rope You put it in one hand and shook it up and down quite hard to see if you could hit the balls together and if he didn’t hit the two balls together it hurt whatever part of your arm and hit and also the show here come the brides
3 x

Gypsy

Harlequin wrote:
4 years ago
The hula hoop, Pogo stick What was that thingamajig that had like a nylon rope some type of rope it was kind of long and it had a hard ball on each side of the rope You put it in one hand and shook it up and down quite hard to see if you could hit the balls together and if he didn’t hit the two balls together it hurt whatever part of your arm and hit and also the show here come the brides
CLACKERS !!
1 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 4 years ago

Rolltide wrote:
4 years ago
Hope things are well with you and your family Gypsy! OSOTT we had a lot in common growing up as I was like an only child because my brother was starting college when I was born, lol. I had the barbies, the townhouse, the corvette, and the camper. I also had the Sunshine Family and their house, do you remember them? They were a flash in the pan. I had the baby tenderlove too, was a Christmas gift that year they were so big. And I think you hit on something we are sorely lacking in now-a-days, the 30 minute comedy sitcom. They just don't make 'em like they used to. Those, Hee Haw and Lawrence Welk took up a huge amount of my time in those days. Now, I just want to see it through to life without virus threatening. Thanks to you both for these fond memories.
Yes I remember the Sunshine Family! I had the corvette too - the orange one that we also used to sit on and roll down our driveway as it was on a incline. It was a rugged car toy! I had the airplane, a regular house (not the three story) and camper. I also used shoes as cars too and my brother's converse shoes worked well though he hated it when I used his shoes. I had the skates that you * to your own shoes. I too got the baby tender love when it was new to the market and whatever you put in it's mouth, it came out of her butt. lol. I loved changing the diaper. I begged mom to buy baby food, but she wouldn't.

We decorated the Christmas tree with old family ornaments that my mom and dad got from their parents. Only one survived and I have it. Glass Santa face light bulbs. We used silver tinsel to throw on the tree along with rope tinsel. We always gathered pine cones and put in a wood basket with holly from our holly bushes. We had a metal angel carousal that had eight candles and when lit, the flames heat would move the angels. I remember if I found Christmas tree needles on the floor in summer it thrilled me to no end!

RT, I remember once you said your mom made barbie clothes and my mom did too and I got them on Christmas day - it was my best Christmas before I realized there wasn't a Santa. Mom sewed fabulous detailed dresses. I had tinker toys at some point. Around age 13 I received a tape recorder for Christmas so then recorded songs from the radio from Casey Kasem top 100 songs that came on on Sunday at 1pm. Yes I remember Hee Haw, 6PM on Saturday night and Laugh In but I never "got" the jokes on Laugh In. Too adult. Remember Flip Wilson, Tony Orlando and Dawn and the Carol Burnett Show.

I remember eating supper every weeknight at 5PM. We had the tall green thick drinking glasses. My mother decorated with Home Interior Decor to the max. Green shag carpet and heavy gold drapes. Home Interior 12 panel picture with pumpkins, an old barn with hay, a mailbox, a mill by a creek etc. other landscapes. Remember shadow boxes?

Mom and dad had a 1975 Buick Park Avenue that could seat a stadium of people. HUGE car. Couldn't fit completely under the carport as the backend would stick out. <<<< I would love to have that car now! omg, it was bigger than today's trucks.

That's all I can think of for now. Anyone else think of anything?

Harlequin, was that toy called a "clacker?"
5 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 4 years ago

--
Washington State Covid19 Update for 05/12/20

Confirmed Cases= 17,330...Deaths= 962

What in the name of not so common sense is not going on here? For a few days, it wasn't so long ago, we were down to about 6-7 cases a day. Now we are up to 17? Are people really so selfish that they put their wants (yes wants--not needs) above the the lives of our elderly and infirm? A civilization is judged by how they treat just such people. History may end up judging us harshly.

Off my soapbox for now.
4 x

Jt
Answers: 1

Post by Jt » 4 years ago

Being a 70's female child, raised in St. Louis from 13-19, remember short short short as you can get the mini skirts?
Drove the boys to have no reason.
My own mother, a professional bridal seamstress, allowed us 2 middle girls of 7 kids, where the siblings of are, 5 boys...well, mother Barbara allowed us to wear them short as we could make them. She had an appreciation of style and then again trusted us too (oh, boy).
Anyway Good times, butterfly free...Jt Teresa

Oh, another great memory, Real Rock Radio KSHE held an annual kite flying contest...Music Rock sound off everyone in the Forest Park vicinity maybe to include:

Jethro Tull
Lynard Skynard
Doobie Brothers
Jimmy Hendrix
Janice Joplin
Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young
Old man take a look at me (Neil Young)
All the Classic Rock on...many more
Bye now. Said enough today.
6 x

Jt

Post by Jt » 4 years ago

Was it called "crackle ball"?
3 x

Jt

Post by Jt » 4 years ago

Or was it "Clackle Ball"?
My oldest brother Mark by 4 years, was the lead King Arthur in the Camelot High School play. My mother Barbara a professional seamstress created all his costumes all 4 years High School.
Mark has been gone now to heaven since 1993. A victim of the "Aids" Epidemic 1983 - 1993. He was Well loved and blessed special by Our Lord God.
Our mother Barbara passed on the following year. Her heart broken for the love of her Oldest Son...
I apologize for the sentiment...Just I am as real as it gets...sometimes too much.
Last edited by Jt 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x