Turquoise

Harlequin

Turquoise

Post by Harlequin » 4 years ago

Turquoise, does anyone remember turquoise from the 70s? By that I mean what it look like in the way it was put into rings mainly, I don’t remember it being so shiny or Anything Like a rough cut. Thanks. 12:46 pm. Sun.
2 x

anniebelle

Re: Turquoise

Post by anniebelle » 4 years ago

I vaguely recall turquoise from the 70's, bikers comes to mind. Didn't wear gemstones back then, I sold Sarah Coventry at parties like Tupperware. I was thinking the other day about a beautiful bracelet I used to wear as a choker, it was silver tone with purple stones. Somewhere packed In a box I guess! I find now there are so many types of turquoise . I purchased a couple of pieces of that new kind , South Hill, that was a beautiful bright blue, shiny with a heavy matrix. What kind are you asking about? Recently aired?
3 x

Harlequin

Annabelle, are you serious about bikers and turquoise? LOL that was funny. No I was just wondering if anybody can remember what it look like,I like the turquoise in the 70s better than today’s turquoise. 🙂. What you said just made my day. Have a good evening everyone
3 x

TexGirl

Post by TexGirl » 4 years ago

In the latter part of the 1970's I worked in Dallas, Texas. We sold stones including turquoise, sheet silver, and tools to make jewelry. I agree with the observation that the turquoise looked different then. The many of entire pieces today, are dipped in a resin to stabilize a lot of turquoise stones. Checkout the Youtube videos about turquoise. Mostly back then, the stabilization was on the bottom only, with epoxy resin. It was dark grey color. There are all kinds of things they are doing now to "make" more from the dwindling amount of turquoise.
5 x

Harlequin

thank you texGirl for the information I appreciate it, have a great day
3 x

Gemsnob

Post by Gemsnob » 4 years ago

I believe today, most turquoise is stabilized. It hasn't always been done. That's why it sometimes changes color. If you've ever seen an estate turquoise ring with multiple stones, they can end up not matching over time. Also, if a stone needed to be replaced, it would often look different because the original stones. They can absorb things. Stabilizing fixed that.
5 x