Appraisals??

shop69

Appraisals??

Post by shop69 » 4 years ago

Has anyone had any jewelry/loose gemstones appraised? If so, would you please share any outcome, good or bad, here. Just curious as getting items appraised are very expensive and it's not worth it if the purchase is worthless, or close to it.

I purchased 3 loose gemstones back in '06 (Colombian emeralds) from the OTHER network and took them to a pretty upscale jewelry store where I was told by the appraiser that he would not appraise them after he looked at them in the little gemstone boxes. He did not even take them out of the boxes or examine them in any way. He said it was not worth his time. Wow! I was able to flip 2 of them way back when for a nice little profit and received no complaints or returns, thank goodness!

In terms of jewelry set in .925 SS, I would be afraid to sell or give as gifts because SS is very soft and the stones fall out! That is a fact regardless of where the purchase is made.

Thanks every one. This forum is so informative!
4 x

Catticus

Re: Appraisals??

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

shop69 wrote:
4 years ago
Has anyone had any jewelry/loose gemstones appraised? If so, would you please share any outcome, good or bad, here. Just curious as getting items appraised are very expensive and it's not worth it if the purchase is worthless, or close to it.

I purchased 3 loose gemstones back in '06 (Colombian emeralds) from the OTHER network and took them to a pretty upscale jewelry store where I was told by the appraiser that he would not appraise them after he looked at them in the little gemstone boxes. He did not even take them out of the boxes or examine them in any way. He said it was not worth his time. Wow! I was able to flip 2 of them way back when for a nice little profit and received no complaints or returns, thank goodness!

In terms of jewelry set in .925 SS, I would be afraid to sell or give as gifts because SS is very soft and the stones fall out! That is a fact regardless of where the purchase is made.

Hi! There is this one. It is under the section General Conversation. We were all waiting to see what a jeweler would say! The member goes by the name "RS" and you can do a search in each different category for her posts regarding the whole ordeal she went through with her ring! Just go to each category and in the search bar type in RS and any posts she made in that particular category will come up. If she didn't post in a certain category, then of course nothing from her will come up. 👍

She has not yet gotten it officially appraised but is going to let us know as soon as she does.

Here is her post on what a jeweler said:
RS wrote:
4 years ago
Well...
Husband and I were doing some errands in town today, you know...the $500.00 club, spa store, lunch, music store, etc.. Dropped in to the jeweler in town I like with my AAAA tanzanite ring. Didn’t make an appointment for a formal appraisal so just asked if they could take a quick look and give me an idea.

At first glance at my ring (Two people were assisting me) their eyes became HUGE 👀👀!
Ok, good sign.

One of the jewelers took my ring and went to go into the back. I requested that I follow, she obliged. She and I sat while she looked at the ring.
She told me that while this wasn’t an official appraisal this ring is worth “well above $10,000” !!!!
Well alrighty then!
I am going to go in for a private appraisal while being present. (Had a bad experience once with a diamond ring at another jeweler in another part of the state) I will not leave this ring.
She did caution me to be careful that those stones are soft(?) and that two of them had a slight scratch on them 😩. I hadn’t even worn it yet other than to that store. I cannot see the marks at all and she still said their worth was the amount stated above.

I need the full-on written GIA certified appraisal for my insurance. That will most likely happen next week.
I am needless to say...DOING THE HAPPY DANCE! 🥰😆
1 x

Catticus

Post by Catticus » 4 years ago

shop69 wrote:
4 years ago

I cannot BELIEVE how horrible that "jeweler" treated you! You were willing to pay for the appraisal(s) and he STILL said it wasn't worth his time? Was it a chain store, or his own? I'd love to know so I can tell others NEVER TO SHOP THERE!

So, what IS worth his precious time?! Were there others in the store? Or was he in the back, or just standing at the counter?

If he was not selling anything at the time, he was not making any money. So, he must not care much about money, since what he did to you was turn money away.

Wow! What a way to run a business! And he would not even remove them from their boxes?!

What makes him feel so superior that to even TOUCH jewelry from certain places is so utterly distasteful to him?

You should go back and this time bring a hazmat suit and tell him he can wear it while touching your leprous jewelry.

I would have been FUMING mad at him! 😡

Not worth his time?! All he has to do is use his loupes and microscope. And you were willing to pay!

I would have said: "Gee, I'm so sorry to interrupt you! I did not know you were just about to part the Red Sea."

I'm sorry you were treated like that, but glad you were able to sell two of them! 🥰
5 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 4 years ago

shop69 wrote:
4 years ago

If I were you, I would call the store manager. It was clear that appraiser was not having a good day at work or simply brought his personal issues to his workplace. What a rude guy he was with you!
2 x