Monday (7/27) Coffee ☕☕☕

Harlequin

Re: Monday (7/27) Coffee ☕☕☕

Post by Harlequin » 3 years ago

JQ. You are exactly right, I am happy you jogged my memory 😊 Not only are you smart you also remember well
4 x

Jace

Post by Jace » 3 years ago

Hi!
Since HayHayPaula... mentioned biting back...the paw
I thought I heard "along the way of life"...
About flicking your finger on the nose of the animal
For behavior modification

Maybe that's "an ole wive's tale"?....

A real enthusiast would know....for sure.
1 x

anniebelle

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

Jace wrote:
3 years ago
Hi!

I used to gently tap kittens on the nose, because that's how mom teaches them. Don't know if it works or not. So far he's faster than I am!! It's really quite comical!
6 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 3 years ago

anniebelle wrote:
3 years ago
Jace wrote:
3 years ago
Hi!

I used to gently tap kittens on the nose, because that's how mom teaches them. Don't know if it works or not. So far he's faster than I am!! It's really quite comical!

Out of the numerous cats and kittens I've had - the first and best thing to teach a cat is the word "NO" and use ONLY the word NO. Don't also use "stop it" " quit" " don't" - make one word, "NO" the bible word of meaning business. Get a spray bottle of water and if use it when saying NO.

Also, never ever "spank" a cat. They don't respond to spanking and it will bring on a bad behavior in cats. They will fight as is there nature if they feel they are getting in danger or hurt. I have NEVER used spankings or hitting them ever. I also never played rough with them. If you play rough with them - don't be surprised if you have taught them to be rough..... Don't hold them down and rub them hard or push them and such. Cats will not respond they way you want.

Also, if you want them to stay away from some area, get a can of "SSScat" which is motion activated (on/off switch) and it will make a huge SSSSSSSSSS sound with a spray that will alarm the kitties and they will learn FAST not to go there. It only takes two times and they will stop doing or going where that can is. So then you can turn off the motion detector - and just leave the can - and the can will represent to the cat where not to go.

I'm not "teaching" you anything - I know. I'm just stating what I know to work.
7 x

anniebelle

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
3 years ago
anniebelle wrote:
3 years ago
Jace wrote:
3 years ago
Hi!

Out of the numerous cats and kittens I've had - the first and best thing to teach a cat is the word "NO" and use ONLY the word NO. Don't also use "stop it" " quit" " don't" - make one word, "NO" the bible word of meaning business. Get a spray bottle of water and if use it when saying NO.

Also, never ever "spank" a cat. They don't respond to spanking and it will bring on a bad behavior in cats. They will fight as is there nature if they feel they are getting in danger or hurt. I have NEVER used spankings or hitting them ever. I also never played rough with them. If you play rough with them - don't be surprised if you have taught them to be rough..... Don't hold them down and rub them hard or push them and such. Cats will not respond they way you want.

Also, if you want them to stay away from some area, get a can of "SSScat" which is motion activated (on/off switch) and it will make a huge SSSSSSSSSS sound with a spray that will alarm the kitties and they will learn FAST not to go there. It only takes two times and they will stop doing or going where that can is. So then you can turn off the motion detector - and just leave the can - and the can will represent to the cat where not to go.

OSOTT, thanks for your input. Yes, I suspect perhaps the foster family may have rough-housed with him. Unfortunately, my older skin is easy to cut with those sharp little teeth. I've had kittens before, never had this problem. I'll have to look for SSScat on Chewy. I can use that to be sure he doesn't "go" in that corner again!!!
7 x

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » 3 years ago

Annabel, I know what you’re going through with the kitten, one of my daughters cats not even a-year-old yet, lays on the back of the couch and when I walk bye he will Nip at me he knows I’m going to the kitchen, I will be doing dishes and he will be biting the back of my legs he wants treats. LOL but you are right on the skin part as we age it gets thinner, You just have a wild and woolly little boy LOL, but someone obviously rough Housed with the little guy, if you have any oven mitts that are long going up the arm try those, I did when I was younger with the kittens And after time they quit attack in the arms and hands, realize there is no skin to chew on. Good luck🙀😻🙂
6 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 3 years ago

anniebelle wrote:
3 years ago
OtherSideOfTheTracks wrote:
3 years ago
anniebelle wrote:
3 years ago

OSOTT, thanks for your input. Yes, I suspect perhaps the foster family may have rough-housed with him. Unfortunately, my older skin is easy to cut with those sharp little teeth. I've had kittens before, never had this problem. I'll have to look for SSScat on Chewy. I can use that to be sure he doesn't "go" in that corner again!!!
Kittens will be kittens though. When I rescued from infancy seven kittens, bottle-fed them, and then grew to 12 weeks and after (for two years)- it was like a flying cat circus in my house. Yes, they would jump on my back from a chair to get a ride. Climb curtains.

You must entertain them with things to get their little energy out. I have hardwood floors so I would get an old thin blanket and put them on it then walk around the room fast with them on it and they would fall off and then run to get back on. I would go from the living room to the kitchen, around the island, back to the living room. They loved it! I also had many "da bird" toys and would sit down in the floor and swing a bird around and they would jump for it and use a lot of energy. I also made sure I had plenty of cat scratching posts - I used the inclined cardboard types in different areas but I bought two tall column scratching posts with solid basis (cost more yes) but I still have them! If you use scratching posts around the house - they will use those over furniture.

Also I suggest getting a kitty tree. Kitties love to sit "high" - they get good rest in their tall trees. I've put little beds that hand in windows too.

If you don't hit him and say "NO" - he will learn. Also, don't wait to say no. Cats only see "immediately/current" situations. So if you follow a cat in the room to scold him/her - she will not understand what happened and will not learn. Their attention span is practically zero as a kitten. If you lose the opportunity to teach the cat what they did was a NO - then let it go and wait for the next time.

I bought the laser light and most of my cats liked it without issue. It got them interested and playing. BUT one of my cats/kitten freaked over it and started getting anxious and would constantly be on the lookout for it. It would walk around real slow and act strange looking up and all over the room for the "light." I did research and yes, the laser light can affect a cat in a miserable way. They get all paranoid. So I stopped the laser light and it took my kitty about two weeks to get over acting strange.
7 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

State of Washington Covid19 Update 7/27/2020

Confirmed Cases = 54,205...Deaths = 1,548

The highest daily death rate so far in this pandemic and stands at 30 deaths today.

The mystery of the 39 deaths that were removed from the totals some time ago were apparently due to a review of records for June and July and determined to be natural causes and not Covid related.
1 x

Jace

Post by Jace » 3 years ago

"It is really wonderful how much resilience there is in human nature.
Let any obstructing cause, no matter what, be removed in any way,
even by death, and we fly back to first principals of hope and enjoyment."
---------------Bram Stoker, Dracula
2 x