When did your love of jewerly begin?

Sea_Hag

When did your love of jewerly begin?

Post by Sea_Hag » 3 years ago

I've had a love for jewelry ever since I can remember with rings being my favorite type of jewelry. I am curious about how it started for all of my fellow jewelry aficionados here at Shop LC.
For me, it started with the landlords in the first house I lived in. They were were a very nice, older couple who lived upstairs. The wife, Kay, was always decked out; hair, clothes, shoes and, of course, jewelry and I always loved the jewelry she wore. She always wore a pin or brooch and I remember them being carved flowers of jade, pearl, etc. So I get nostalgic when I see the Jardin collections; reminds me of her. One time (grade school age) she gave me a ring set for a birthday or Christmas. It was faux gold, of course, with multiple colored beads that I could pop in and out. I was in love with that and it got me started on this kick. Probably not too much longer, I'd gotten Liddle Kiddles jewelry - if anyone here is old enough to remember those toys. The kind I got had the tiny gals in jewelry and I still have the brooch and bracelet with dolls intact. Over the following years, every time my family would go on vacation, I'd get a ring as a souvenir. I remember that at one point, I was going to school wearing on every finger except my thumbs, literally until my fingers turned green. One ring is from a trolley museum with the museum's name and a picture of a trolley on it. I didn't care, a ring's a ring, lol. I still have that ring and some other relics from the 60's/70's. Anyway, I could go on and on, but would love to hear from the rest of you!
11 x

Gemsnob

Re: When did your love of jewerly begin?

Post by Gemsnob » 3 years ago

I've had a love for jewelry and gemstones since grade school. I used to take pieces apart and remake them into something I liked. I don't remember a specific event. I started out decades ago collecting gems and semi mounts and making my own pieces. I haven't done that in quite some time because I've been able to find nice pieces here and elsewhere. I still have loose gems but I prefer to wear my collection. Jewelry is my thing and it's like I can never have too much. It's like some men and their tools. They can never have too much. I know this because hubby has taken over our garage with his "collection". 😀
12 x

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » 3 years ago

When my favorite Aunt let me look at all her jewelry boxes, I was around ten. She used to take care of two elderly women back in the 60’s. They were at the time in their 80’s. So it was old jewelry or antique jewelry, their house was full of antiques. When they passed they left my Aunt everything. So many memories 😊
9 x

Sea_Hag

@Gemsnob ’...can never have too much...’ that definitely sums it up for me, too! It’s a lifetime love affair for me, lol! :lol:
9 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 3 years ago

My love of jewelry began while playing with my grandmothers Pearls 🥰🥰 I would spend every weekend with her when I was VERY young and "dress up" was a wonderful way to spend our weekend !!

Even if I'm not going anywhere I always make sure I have on pretty earrings (multiple piercings ) I do love my bling !!!!.-Gypsy
10 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 3 years ago

When I started to watching this channel back in 2007. Love everything about gems. I go to gems shows in Florida. Hopefully, I can go in December. Due to the pandemic, the April show was cancelled.
11 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

I am like a crow or ferret. I have always gone for anything sparkly. As a child we were very poor, and lived in a very isolated place. so I would take gum wrappers or pieces of foil and make rings or necklaces. Didn't last very long at all, but I was still overjoyed. I was maybe three? Later I pierced my own ears and made earrings out of any metal wire I could find. My love just grew and escalated ever since. I sell (or did before the Covid outbreak) jewelry not only for the supplemental income, but also for the joy of just having it pass through my hands, if only for a little while.
I too had planned on going to a gem and jewelry show, the one in Las Vegas again this year. Even had my plane tickets and reservations. SO sad i had to cancel.
12 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 3 years ago

Mine started because it was important to give daughters pearls throughout their childhood for achievements like graduation or birthdays. It started with getting a tiny pearl bracelet as a baby for baby pictures. Then another bracelet and then necklaces on a birthday, Easter and so on. I was taught how important it was to care for them and how to wear them. We could only wear them to important events as well - never to be played with. So, then I wanted jewelry to play with. My mom would buy me "toy" jewelry (under a dollar!) and I would dress up and wear jewelry. You know the plastic jewelry that came in a one-sided cardboard sleeve at the grocery store.

When we would go to the dentist as a small child, my dentist would bring out a big tray of toy rings as a reward for being good! OMG it was so exciting and he would allow me to pick one. One trip to the dentist for my brother, I was sitting in the chair waiting and bored so the nurse brought out a tray of rings to pick out while I waited for my brother and I tried on every ring, twice and three times, big fake diamonds, emeralds, sapphires etc. all plastic and adjustable. I was having a hard time deciding because I loved them all. Our dentist noticed and laughed and asked me to pick out all my favorites and he gave them to me.

So I started collecting toy jewelry, musical jewelry boxes with ballerinas etc. and moved on to the good stuff as an adult.
11 x

Sea_Hag

@JewelryQueen Yes, the sparkle and shine is what I love most about jewelry, too. Growing up in the 60's/70's which was a time when home decor was olive drab, beige and just dreary - at least to a child it was. I also have a love of all thing Christmas, mostly because of the lights and decorations which, like jewelry, were bright and sparkly.
10 x

Sea_Hag

@Gemsnob did you ever mine for gemstones? That's something I'd like to try, at least once, to see where a gemstone is born. That would be so cool.
10 x