Kitty mommies

anniebelle

Kitty mommies

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

Hello! Milo and I need your advice please. I have been concerned about what I'm seeing in the litter pan. I finally observed him having a b.m. No, he didn't seem to be in distress, but it is as loose as I suspected. His food transitioned from foster family Meow Mix kitten to Iams kitten within about 10 days. I have not given him any people food at all. It is difficult for us to see a vet at this time, as well as getting groceries for special foods. Had this problem with a tiny kitten many, many years ago. I'm thinking I fed binding foods like boiled eggs, cottage cheese, and organ meats (impossible to do now). Am I on the right track? Your help is greatly appreciated.
4 x

OtherSideOfTheTracks

Re: Kitty mommies

Post by OtherSideOfTheTracks » 3 years ago

anniebelle wrote:
3 years ago
Hello! Milo and I need your advice please. I have been concerned about what I'm seeing in the litter pan. I finally observed him having a b.m. No, he didn't seem to be in distress, but it is as loose as I suspected. His food transitioned from foster family Meow Mix kitten to Iams kitten within about 10 days. I have not given him any people food at all. It is difficult for us to see a vet at this time, as well as getting groceries for special foods. Had this problem with a tiny kitten many, many years ago. I'm thinking I fed binding foods like boiled eggs, cottage cheese, and organ meats (impossible to do now). Am I on the right track? Your help is greatly appreciated.
I would give it more time and observe him for a few more days. His body may be adjusting to the new food. Changing cat food usually brings a change in bm's until his system gets used to it. Iams is one of the best cat foods in my opinion. Make sure he has plenty of fresh water to drink and see how he is doing in a few more days. You're a good cat mama and Milo is very lucky to have you!
6 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

@anniebelle

It is not uncommon for kittens to get a mild bout of loose stools when changing food. The stress of adjusting to a new home can also bring this on. The major problem, as Other Side is getting at, is dehydration. As with human babies, diarrhea can cause dehydration very quickly. If you have it on hand, try putting 2 oz of unflavored Pedialyte in 6 oz of water in his water dish to ensure his electrolytes don't get out of whack. In any case fresh water should be available at all times.

As long as Milo is not lethargic, doesn't have a fever, doesn't have blood in his stool, and his gums are not yellow or white (they should be light to medium pink) this is probably not an emergency. Sometimes a 1/2 teaspoon of Metamucil dusted on his food can help. This may sound odd for this problem, but a lack of fiber can cause the feline digestive system to not be able to work properly so the food just shoots out the other end. If you have canned pumpkin on hand or can cook some sweet potato, a LITTLE bit in his food is another way to add fiber and these are easily digested by cats. A teaspoon of an unflavored yogurt that contains probiotics whisked in a little milk can be offered as well, if available.

In any case if this does not persist for more that 4-5 days, and he is drinking water, this is in all likelihood not as serious as it may seem. Has he had all his vaccinations? In any case if it persists a trip to the vet may be called for, as this could be anything from allergies to a virus or bacterial problem to parasites like Coccidia or even worms.

You are being the best of kitty moms. I hope this was helpful. Try not to worry too much- and give Milo a kiss on top of his head from me.
6 x

anniebelle

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
3 years ago
@anniebelle

It is not uncommon for kittens to get a mild bout of loose stools when changing food. The stress of adjusting to a new home can also bring this on. The major problem, as Other Side is getting at, is dehydration. As with human babies, diarrhea can cause dehydration very quickly. If you have it on hand, try putting 2 oz of unflavored Pedialyte in 6 oz of water in his water dish to ensure his electrolytes don't get out of whack. In any case fresh water should be available at all times.

As long as Milo is not lethargic, doesn't have a fever, doesn't have blood in his stool, and his gums are not yellow or white (they should be light to medium pink) this is probably not an emergency. Sometimes a 1/2 teaspoon of Metamucil dusted on his food can help. This may sound odd for this problem, but a lack of fiber can cause the feline digestive system to not be able to work properly so the food just shoots out the other end. If you have canned pumpkin on hand or can cook some sweet potato, a LITTLE bit in his food is another way to add fiber and these are easily digested by cats. A teaspoon of an unflavored yogurt that contains probiotics whisked in a little milk can be offered as well, if available.

In any case if this does not persist for more that 4-5 days, and he is drinking water, this is in all likelihood not as serious as it may seem. Has he had all his vaccinations? In any case if it persists a trip to the vet may be called for, as this could be anything from allergies to a virus or bacterial problem to parasites like Coccidia or even worms.

You are being the best of kitty moms. I hope this was helpful. Try not to worry too much- and give Milo a kiss on top of his head from me.
SMACK !!!
2 x