Moissinite?????

Harlequin

Moissinite?????

Post by Harlequin » 3 years ago

When did SLC start selling this?? I thought only had J. Channel sold this jewelry. So expensive on J. I don’t care for it, unfortunately. Did like my lustrous Stella piece I bought from here over a month ago. Hope it’s less expensive here than J, for the people who like it.
6 x

silleemee

Re: Moissinite?????

Post by silleemee » 3 years ago

I think SLC just started selling it. I'm excited! I own several pieces of Moiss from another network and if you've never seen Moiss in person than you are missing out. Nothing else sparkles like it. In my jewelry box right now I have studs...real diamond, CZ, Moiss and strontium titanate. When I put them side by side, the Moiss out-sparkles them all....they are the brightest, too. I love Moissanite!
8 x

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy » 3 years ago

My Daughter in law requested Moissinite for her engagement ring. Beautifully Set in 14kYG its Gorgeous 💜 -Gypsy!
9 x

Harlequin

Is. Moissinite, a simulated diamond?? I’m thinking it is.
2 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

No Moissinite is not a diamond, artificial or otherwise. It is a mineral that does occur in nature but never grows large enough to be considered for jewelry (not even close). By a very expensive and complicated process, done by only one company in the world, these particles are grown in a lab to create some of the size to make into jewelry. It is almost as hard as a diamond which makes it very durable. It is more refractive than a diamond and has more brilliance. That is to say it sparkles more, and shows more colors when it does, than a diamond. Bottom line-- if you do not care whether it is a gemstone out of the ground or not, it is a good choice if you can afford it. It really is beautiful to look at as bling goes.
12 x

Harlequin

T. Y, J. Q. For the information 🙂
5 x

Jace

Post by Jace » 3 years ago

Hi!
Just researched Moissinite....

It IS becoming THE alternative to diamond.

And "the smart shopper's" choice.
7 x

silleemee

JewelryQueen wrote:
3 years ago
No Moissinite is not a diamond, artificial or otherwise. It is a mineral that does occur in nature but never grows large enough to be considered for jewelry (not even close). By a very expensive and complicated process, done by only one company in the world, these particles are grown in a lab to create some of the size to make into jewelry. It is almost as hard as a diamond which makes it very durable. It is more refractive than a diamond and has more brilliance. That is to say it sparkles more, and shows more colors when it does, than a diamond. Bottom line-- if you do not care whether it is a gemstone out of the ground or not, it is a good choice if you can afford it. It really is beautiful to look at as bling goes.

The patent to produce Moissanite use to belong exclusively to Charles & Colvard. But that patent expired in 2015/2016 so now the stone is manufactured by other companies around the world, mostly in China. The original C&C prices where and still are very high. Prices have come down significantly since the patent is no longer exclusive.

Moissanite is graded based on the GIA grading scale used for genuine diamonds. However, the GIA does not certify simulants of any kind including Moiss.
10 x

CC

Post by CC » 3 years ago

Silleemee, I have a strontium titanate ring from that same other channel and I love it. It has a large beautiful solitaire stone set in a tiffany prong mounting with citrine stones going down the sides of the band.
7 x

silleemee

CC wrote:
3 years ago
Silleemee, I have a strontium titanate ring from that same other channel and I love it. It has a large beautiful solitaire stone set in a tiffany prong mounting with citrine stones going down the sides of the band.

Hi CC,
I love strontium titanate! My small collection of it is all set in earrings. Just be careful with your beautiful ring. The stone is soft, only 5.5 on the Mohs scale. OTOH, Moissanite has a 9.25 hardness which makes it a great choice for rings and bracelets.
4 x