Crimson fire opal

anniebelle

Crimson fire opal

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

Did anyone see this band ring, 3 row? Not sure if I have ever seen anything so bright red! It nearly glows from my TV. I vaguely recall a discussion on this forum about this stone. Does anyone remember? I think it was the difference in cherry and Crimson, though Chuck is using the terms interchangeably.
3 x

Margui

Re: Crimson fire opal

Post by Margui » 3 years ago

I don’t know either what the difference between the two. Last year I went to a gem show and wore my Mexican Fire opal set that I bought years ago; a seller told me “It’s pretty but it’s not fire opal, it looks like quartz.” I will consult a gemologist and if he/she tell me that it’s dyed quartz or synthetic opal, then would be very disappointed with ShopLC.
5 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 3 years ago

I have a solitaire that I purchased from here mine was labeled as cherry I think and it is beautiful, it looks like the finest quality Ruby. It is bright red.
4 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

Crimson fire opals are cherry opals with the most intense red color. Fairly hard to find but beautiful--as are all cherry opals I have seen.
5 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 3 years ago

Margui wrote:
3 years ago
I don’t know either what the difference between the two. Last year I went to a gem show and wore my Mexican Fire opal set that I bought years ago; a seller told me “It’s pretty but it’s not fire opal, it looks like quartz.” I will consult a gemologist and if he/she tell me that it’s dyed quartz or synthetic opal, then would be very disappointed with ShopLC.
Margui, please let us know what you find out. The only way you would get quartz in that color would be if it were a triplet (the glue in the middle providing the color). I think the seller didn't know what they were talking about. Some people think that fire opal should display color play and some do but the vast majority do not.
3 x