Is this a real gem, only saw last of the presentation. T. Y. 😊
4 x

RS

Re: Moissinite

Post by RS » 3 years ago

Harlequin wrote:
3 years ago
Is this a real gem, only saw last of the presentation. T. Y. 😊
To my understanding it’s lab created. ???

It sure is pretty.....I will be looking to see if any pieces catch my eye. What I have seen so far the main stone carat weights (sizes) are a bit too small for me but we shall see.
6 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 3 years ago

Moissanite is a real gemstone. It is very rare and typically comes in teeny sizes like 1-1.5 mm. What you see on the market are lab grown. When they were first marketed, they could have a greenish or yellowish cast. I understand they have improved the process of growing them in a lab and those problems have been diminished. They are very durable at 9.25 -9.5 on the Mohs scale. Of course, next to a diamond they will look fake because they have so much more fire than a diamond.
10 x

silleemee

Post by silleemee » 3 years ago

Moissanite is super sparkly. I think it looks best in the smaller sizes. The larger stones don't look like diamonds but the smaller ones do. I have some hoop earrings and a pair of studs with Moissanite stones set in gold. If you prefer, you can take your Moissanite jewelry to a jeweler and have the stones graded. Moissanite is graded just like a diamond is graded. With Moissanite, however, it's more about their color than it is about inclusions which are extremely small and almost impossible to see in Moissanite w/o extreme magnification. Not all Moissanite sold online is graded. You have to look for it or have it graded once you get it home. Buying graded Moissanite online helps you 'see' it's true color in comparison to a colorless diamond.
7 x

CJM

Post by CJM » 3 years ago

Every time I’ve seen this line on the J channel the creator of it is on. It’s a trademarked product. If LC’s line isn’t the trademarked line it’s probably a knockoff. The price should clue you in. This line is NOT cheap!
9 x

RS

Post by RS » 3 years ago

CJM wrote:
3 years ago
Every time I’ve seen this line on the J channel the creator of it is on. It’s a trademarked product. If LC’s line isn’t the trademarked line it’s probably a knockoff. The price should clue you in. This line is NOT cheap!
Tenner kind of explained last night why the “name brand” is so expensive and that supposedly SLC quality is top top and lower in price. Hmmmmm.
5 x

anniebelle

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

CJM wrote:
3 years ago
I've seen Moissinite Fire on the J channel but didn't know that gentleman was the creator. But SLC has their own line of cubic zirconia, so why not Moissinite?
4 x

RS

Post by RS » 3 years ago

anniebelle wrote:
3 years ago
CJM wrote:
3 years ago
I've seen Moissinite Fire on the J channel but didn't know that gentleman was the creator. But SLC has their own line of cubic zirconia, so why not Moissinite?
Very true!
I ordered two of those new Lustro Stella pieces with the Swarovski CZ. Wonder how they will be?
3 x

CJM

Post by CJM » 3 years ago

Anniebelle. CZ is a dime a dozen! I bought the Q channel cz in gold years ago and the stones yellowed. So I’m gun shy of any cz. Moissinite brand is known for top quality This stuff costs a fortune in the jewelry world. LC is just capitalizing on the name brand. I know it happens all the time but don’t expect the same quality. Personally I wouldn’t pay high prices for fake diamonds. JMO
6 x

silleemee

Post by silleemee » 3 years ago

The Charles & Colvard company held the original and only patent on Moissanite until 2015. The gem was exclusively sold by that company. C&C created three grades of the gem and marketed it that way. You can still buy C&C Moissanite. It is high-dollar and high quality. After the patent expired other companies started making their own. There are several companies around the world now who make Moissanite and some of it sold graded...comes in three different grades generally.
6 x