Chipped AAAA Tanzanite ring

Steps

Chipped AAAA Tanzanite ring

Post by Steps » 3 years ago

Hi all,
I wish I had discovered this forum earlier.. I've been shopping with SLC for about a year and a half (I think. I've lost track of time), and this seems like a good place to share thoughts and feedback.

Earlier this year, I bought a AAAA Tanzanite ring, even though the color looks more like AAA. It's a pretty ring and I was able to use a 20% off discount, which really helped. I wasn't able to get it appraised right away because all of the jewelry stores here were closed, and it took a while for the county to allow certain places to re-open. I was finally able to get it appraised at a reputable jeweler, and was bummed to get the results. When I first arrived to set up the appraisal, they put it under a microscope while I was there (as kind of a pre-assessment thing). The lady had me look at a discovery they found - the culet was slightly chipped. My stomach sank a little bit. The lady was very kind and said it happens, but that it shouldn't affect the appraisal. The ring itself is a simple round, not too flashy or large, but still a supposedly AAAA tanzanite in platinum, with a few diamonds. Needless to say the appraisal was a bit lower than I would have liked, but I'm really more bummed and upset that the tanzanite was chipped to begin with. Trust me, it's nothing I did to it... Since it was the culet that was chipped, it was protected by the metal. I'm not hard on my jewelry, and if I ever do work with my hands I never wear my tanzanite. I rarely even wore this ring before I got it appraised! Now when I look at it, I just see a damaged valuable gemstone. :( Because of the circumstances and how long it took for me to get it looked at, I can't return it.
9 x

RoxiJade

Re: Chipped AAAA Tanzanite ring

Post by RoxiJade » 3 years ago

Steps wrote:
3 years ago
Hi all,
I wish I had discovered this forum earlier.. I've been shopping with SLC for about a year and a half (I think. I've lost track of time), and this seems like a good place to share thoughts and feedback.

Earlier this year, I bought a AAAA Tanzanite ring, even though the color looks more like AAA. It's a pretty ring and I was able to use a 20% off discount, which really helped. I wasn't able to get it appraised right away because all of the jewelry stores here were closed, and it took a while for the county to allow certain places to re-open. I was finally able to get it appraised at a reputable jeweler, and was bummed to get the results. When I first arrived to set up the appraisal, they put it under a microscope while I was there (as kind of a pre-assessment thing). The lady had me look at a discovery they found - the culet was slightly chipped. My stomach sank a little bit. The lady was very kind and said it happens, but that it shouldn't affect the appraisal. The ring itself is a simple round, not too flashy or large, but still a supposedly AAAA tanzanite in platinum, with a few diamonds. Needless to say the appraisal was a bit lower than I would have liked, but I'm really more bummed and upset that the tanzanite was chipped to begin with. Trust me, it's nothing I did to it... Since it was the culet that was chipped, it was protected by the metal. I'm not hard on my jewelry, and if I ever do work with my hands I never wear my tanzanite. I rarely even wore this ring before I got it appraised! Now when I look at it, I just see a damaged valuable gemstone. :( Because of the circumstances and how long it took for me to get it looked at, I can't return it.

So sorry! I will say, I have received and returned many items that I would never have bought in the first place if I was shopping in a brick and mortar store and looked at it first.
6 x

Moderator_Preston
Answers: 1

Post by Moderator_Preston » 3 years ago

Steps wrote:
3 years ago
Hi all,

Good afternoon,

Thank you so much for your message and welcome to the forum. If you can, please reach out to me at preston.weaver@shoplc.com so I can take a look at this for you and see what we can do.
8 x

Lala3

Post by Lala3 » 3 years ago

That’s so unfortunate your tanzanite ring was less than you were promised. I have cut way way down on my purchases at Shoplc. Lots of factors prompting that decision. One being disclosure The order I placed for Rachel Galley came yesterday. Not overly impressed. I bought the bracelet and the Ruby earrings. The bangle bracelet is extremely small I bought the medium size but I can barely fit this on my wrist.earrings are really lackluster ruby looks ok but it just isn’t very impressive Probably will return them not worth $70.00 what really is aggravating is during the live with Rachel presentation while she cradled her baby held to her chest the entire show. She kept saying over and over “these are all handmade these are all handmade “. Yeah , in CHINA. ! Never ever did they say all these are made in China in some factory. Since she is located in the UK. I thought they were made there. I never saw on Shoplc’s web page saw China I think I am really done with this channel. Too many iffy situations and dubious practices to suit my taste. I’ll go shopping online where I know returns are fully credited back to your card and items are received quickly. Took almost TWO WEEKS. For these Rachel galley items to be delivered ! How will this place ever handle the seasonal rush ?
I thank this community for sharing their shopping experiences and also the friendly personal interest stories it’s a kind place to share If you are concerned where these items are manufactured I highly suggest calling first and let customer commit to place of origin !
10 x

Gem Lover

Post by Gem Lover » 3 years ago

I would be so upset if I were you. I did not buy anything during covid when everything was shut down due to this reason, I knew my jeweler would not be open to look at items and I did not want to take the chance of being stuck on a higher end item. I hope shop lc replaces it for you.
8 x

RoxiJade

Post by RoxiJade » 3 years ago

"One being disclosure"

YES! That's a very important point.
6 x

Margui

Post by Margui » 3 years ago

Welcome to he forum, Steps. I hope they can help you about your damaged tanzanite.
6 x

Steps

Post by Steps » 3 years ago

Thank you all for your feedback and support.. Unfortunately they're unable to replace the ring since it's been over 6 months since the original purchase (which is the amount of time allowed to return defected items - which i didn't know until now, so i guess that's my fault). Even though they said "let us know if there's anything more we can do", it would have been appreciated if they at least offered a considerable discount on a future item. It doesn't necessarily compensate, but it would have been an appropriate customer service gesture. oh well.
5 x

Lulu

Post by Lulu » 3 years ago

Does the ring have an under gallery? If so, I would photo the appraisal and send to SLC and request a partial refund. I don't understand why the lady said the chipped culet wouldn't affect the appraisal as it is considered a facet. In any event, you don't want to pay for a poorly cut stone when it's supposed to be top-tier.
4 x