Welo opals

Lulu

Re: Welo opals

Post by Lulu » 3 years ago

An article on the net states that Ethiopian opals do come in a natural yellow body color (orange as well) and goes on to say that basic body color does not affect value. It's the color play and how crisp it is and any discernible pattern with the harlequin pattern being the most valuable.

I just received a Welo opal and tanzanite ring from clearance. The opal is 12x10 and looks 'shy' in every type of lighting. The tanzies are super for their size. Frankly, if it weren't on clearance, I would return because I like a crisper opal. Don't get me wrong - it beats Australian opals by a long, long shot. I think I'm not going to buy any more opals from the clearance section.
3 x

RoseyRuby

Post by RoseyRuby » 3 years ago

Gypsy wrote:
3 years ago
Since I first read this thread, I have texted on air to the hosts and asked them for some specifics on the proper way for storage and cleaning , so we can keep our Beautiful Welo Opals....well, Beautiful.!
I have not yet heard any responses from my questions. {Sigh} they don't want to engage with us when we ask legitimate gemstone questions.

I wish they would

-Gypsy
*I* also emailed a question about the care and storage of Welo Opals, to Tony & Katie when they were on--I think last weekend. NO RESPONSE. It makes me a little irritated, that they ignored my question. I researched the subject and what I found, is that you should keep them in a plastic bag with a piece of damp cotton. That doesn't sound right, to me. I live about a mile from the ocean and my house is really damp, as it is. I guess time will tell, what happens with mine. But I definitely am NOT buying any more of them!
I have a ZOOM call (if I can figure out how the heck to do it) on Tues. a.m., about a suggestion I submitted. I am going to ask whomever I speak with, if they will tell me.
6 x

Horsepower

Post by Horsepower » 3 years ago

I live one mile from Tampa Bay & about 50% of my many Welo Opals have turned yellowish brown. I have tried every trick to reverse the problem with no luck. About a year ago I heard Becky say it was called "caramelling" & that it was acceptable as a sign of a quality aged opal. I think that is outlandish & don't appreciate the smoke screen. I have many other types of opal and they don't turn urine yellow. No more Welo for me.
3 x