Tough decision

Gemsnob

Re: Tough decision

Post by Gemsnob » 3 years ago

Anniebelle, did you say you may be getting an apartment there? That sounds nice.
I understand about the cat litter. No matter what kind you use, its heavy and awkward. Do you exclusively shop at Walmart? I was just wondering if there was another store that would deliver since WM doesn't.
I'm sure you will figure out what to do.
I live in Clermont county. We have a rescue here that goes to other shelters and adopts senior pets and those with medical issues such as diabetes or epilepsy. Then, they work with seniors to match them with one of the rescued. This rescue pays for vet bills, deposit if you have one and food! I think it's awesome. Many of these animals would be looked over. 😭 It helps the pet and the human. Especially older folks that can't get out much or don't have many visitors.
5 x

anniebelle

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

That sounds like a great animal shelter! that is really awesome for them to provide that service. I don't actually shop anywhere anymore, when I do get out it's short and sweet, can't be on my feet very long. Last time I checked Kroger will shop for you, but you have to pick it up at the store. I may have to find new delivery for my medications. I have been having them delivered for free by Walgreens. They just stopped delivery nationwide, though they will FedEx your medications. Don't know how much it will cost. My health insurance may have a plan available that I never needed before.
5 x

Gemsnob

I use Kroger and they do pick up and delivery. I've only done pick up so far. There is a $10 charge for delivery. My mom uses Walgreens for her rxs and had them Fed Exd but I have no idea if she paid for it.
4 x

anniebelle

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

Gemsnob wrote:
3 years ago
I use Kroger and they do pick up and delivery. I've only done pick up so far. There is a $10 charge for delivery. My mom uses Walgreens for her rxs and had them Fed Exd but I have no idea if she paid for it.
We had free FedEx through the end of the year from Walgreens. I'll have to look into Kroger to see how it works. i actually bought a good deal of shampoo and bodywash during that time when SLC was pushing their "essentials". Not too over priced on the things I bought.
7 x

JA

Post by JA » 3 years ago

Hi Annabelle normally I would say take the cat in and everything else would fall into place, but this is not an easy situation for anyone. In my area New Jersey some of the shelters will donate food and litter to people who are taking care of animals instead of looking to shelters to place the cats. I wish you well and hope the answers come to you soon.
8 x

Sam

Post by Sam » 3 years ago

As an owner of many, many cats, might I suggest a 'playdate' with the two cats? See if they get along? I've read your history with Milo. He seems pretty possessive of you and might not like the competition. Which would make it extremely hard to return the other one. I have one that bites and scratches, also, but not because he's mean. He wants ALL the attention, and doesn't want me to go away from him, so he 'grabs' me the only way a cat can. They also make a new light weight litter. I can't lift those heavy pails, either, so I'm going to try it. I hope whatever you decide works out. There's always someone looking for furrever friend. Good luck! Stay safe. 🐱🐱
9 x

CJM

Post by CJM » 3 years ago

Anniebelle. May I make a suggestion? Make a pro/con list. See which is longer. You sound like a caring loving person. I don’t want to sound “selfish “ but you have to put yourself first; especially with health problems. I took on my son’s cat when I lived in an apartment. I already had a chihuahua. The cat didn’t mind my dog but the maintenance was too much He walked rubbing against furniture leaving a coating of hair. It took me hours to vacuum it off. The last straw I came home from work to find the speaker cords to my surround sound dangling. He chewed them every last one. I gave him away. I took him because I convinced myself I was obligated to do it. The worst reason to take in another pet. Weigh your options! There’s always the extra cost . The trial run of the kitties meeting is a terrific idea!
9 x

RoseyRuby

Post by RoseyRuby » 3 years ago

Yes, cats can be a handful. But the love (and deterrent against rodents) is priceless. I have 4 small dogs and a cat. My cat is still kitten-ish and gets into everything. She's finally calming down after 2 1/2 yrs. One suggestion I have, is whenever I get a new pet, I introduce it to the old ones--almost like you would a human, petting each one and saying their name. Then, I pretty much ignore the new one, while showering the old ones with love and attention, allowing the new one to get acclimated to their new home. This way, there's no jealousy or allowing the old ones to think they are being "replaced." I use Chewy for my little boy dog's insulin and a few other things. It's free shipping, if you go over $50, I think. The river website also delivers cat litter, I've had to use it before, when my car was in the shop and I was stranded at home. Do any of the grocery stores in your area deliver? Hopefully the new apartment you are considering is large enough, so that each cat can have their own space, just in case Milo gets too rambunctious. And I also suggest using 2 litter boxes, as sometimes cats don't like to share. Is there anyone else, where you're living who might want a cat? Maybe they could take the new one in and let Milo and the other kitty visit with each other? Yeah, cats DO sometimes shed a lot. I brush my pets every nite after dinner and my dogs get their teeth brushed also. I put my cat on my bed and brush away. She just loves it.
7 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

@anniebelle

I agree that IF you take LuLu you should probably have two litter boxes. Many cats consider the litter box their own personal territory and do not like to share, especially if they have had it all to themselves in the past. This can lead to unwanted "accidents", turmoil, and eventually (if one cat is being denied at will access) urinary, kidney or bladder issues with the "outsider".

I understand wanting to be helpful and to "rescue' this kitty, but please carefully weigh the responsibility you will be taking on. Having been in a similar situation just recently I totally understand both sides. A few days ago I checked in a friend of mine at a local rescue and they had a case that just tore at my heart. A senior cat had her owner die and she was grieving so badly she refused to eat. She is a total "cuddle bug" cat and almost lived in her owner's lap. She will eat if constantly being cuddled, which is next to impossible for the staff to accommodate. With a heavy heart I told them I could not take her as our resident cat would not tolerate it, we do not have room for two litter boxes, and while we could cover the food and litter-- any of the exceptional vet expenses likely to arise with an older cat would about break us. I am trying to recruit a new "guardian" by contacting all the animal lovers I know in the area to see if they can take her, or know someone who is in a position and willing to take her.

Good luck, as this sounds like a difficult decision to make. Go with both your head and your heart.

JQ
8 x

Gemsnob

JewelryQueen wrote:
3 years ago
@anniebelle

I agree that IF you take LuLu you should probably have two litter boxes. Many cats consider the litter box their own personal territory and do not like to share, especially if they have had it all to themselves in the past. This can lead to unwanted "accidents", turmoil, and eventually (if one cat is being denied at will access) urinary, kidney or bladder issues with the "outsider".

I understand wanting to be helpful and to "rescue' this kitty, but please carefully weigh the responsibility you will be taking on. Having been in a similar situation just recently I totally understand both sides. A few days ago I checked in a friend of mine at a local rescue and they had a case that just tore at my heart. A senior cat had her owner die and she was grieving so badly she refused to eat. She is a total "cuddle bug" cat and almost lived in her owner's lap. She will eat if constantly being cuddled, which is next to impossible for the staff to accommodate. With a heavy heart I told them I could not take her as our resident cat would not tolerate it, we do not have room for two litter boxes, and while we could cover the food and litter-- any of the exceptional vet expenses likely to arise with an older cat would about break us. I am trying to recruit a new "guardian" by contacting all the animal lovers I know in the area to see if they can take her, or know someone who is in a position and willing to take her.

Good luck, as this sounds like a difficult decision to make. Go with both your head and your heart.

JQ
😭😭😭 I wish I lived nearby. It breaks my heart.
5 x