Major Price Jump!

Lulu

Re: Major Price Jump!

Post by Lulu » 3 years ago

The Diniz boys apparently have a lock on tourmaline in Brazil. Why they can't bring decent sizes to SLC is a mystery to me. I have no problem finding affordable one carats at an English channel. I'm not talking about Rubellite, just pink tourmaline.
3 x

CC

Post by CC » 3 years ago

Around a week or so ago I posted twice on this thread about this subject. The first was about a beautiful piece of art dragon bangle. At that time it was $169.99. As of today it's showing a price of $189.99. In the second post I stated that a London blue topaz bangle had been in my wish list forever for $129.99 and then all of a sudden the price had went up to I believe it was $137..99. Well I looked today and it is back down to $129.99. Now please exp!ain. to me how this up, down all around roller coasting pricing changes make any sense.
3 x

Boston Irish

Post by Boston Irish » 3 years ago

CC I bought the Dragon bangle check the gram weight on yours mine came broken had to order another one. My Son put it on a scale it is 23 grams less! 😞🍀
3 x

CC

Post by CC » 3 years ago

Boston Irish, I wish I had a scale but I don't. I have to say I am not a dragon person, but this bangle was just such a beauty and piece of art, I had to order it. I wear it all the time and it is a substantial piece of jewelry.
3 x

MsTabbyKats

Post by MsTabbyKats » 3 years ago

Lesson to be learned:
If you find something you want and a price you can accept, buy it. The price may go up, the price may go down...and the piece may get sold out.
SLC is like any business....adjusting the price based on supply/demand.

On that subject....what I find annoying is that "if more people call in we lower the price". It gets your dopamine going, anticipating the reduction. They know all along what the final price will be. If anything, more people wanting the item should raise the price...lol.
4 x

JewelryQueen

Post by JewelryQueen » 3 years ago

@MsTabbyKats

I think SLC would have you believe that for them it is better to sell 20 items at $30 each than 10 items at $40. This actually makes sense considering their markup is somewhere between 6 to 10 times for an item than what they pay for it. That being said, I don't think the number of persons purchasing has anything to do with the final price. This is just a way to stir up the audience into a frenzy thinking they will get a better deal if they participate and buy whatever is being offered. I also think the "upping" of the price on items is way of testing the waters to see just how much the market will bear pricewise and exactly what is the upper limit of what folks are willing to pay for that item. This is my opinion only.

PS Nice to see you participating in the forum. Welcome aboard.
5 x

MsTabbyKats

Post by MsTabbyKats » 3 years ago

JewelryQueen wrote:
3 years ago
@MsTabbyKats

I think SLC would have you believe that for them it is better to sell 20 items at $30 each than 10 items at $40. This actually makes sense considering their markup is somewhere between 6 to 10 times for an item than what they pay for it. That being said, I don't think the number of persons purchasing has anything to do with the final price. This is just a way to stir up the audience into a frenzy thinking they will get a better deal if they participate and buy whatever is being offered. I also think the "upping" of the price on items is way of testing the waters to see just how much the market will bear pricewise and exactly what is the upper limit of what folks are willing to pay for that item. This is my opinion only.

PS Nice to see you participating in the forum. Welcome aboard.
Synopsis: When we expect a reward the brain secretes dopamine. Dopamine in our system makes us feel good. We continue with this behavior because we know we will get dopamine. That's why "Oh the price should not be so low but I'll honor our mistake" and "if 20 more people call I'll lower the price" work! We anticipate....
Last edited by Moderator_Preston 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed external link
4 x

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » 3 years ago

Cool article, to bad they can’t test me 😊. I’m not a 🐀. :shock: :lol: Ok A:...no laughing bobble heads.
2 x

anniebelle

Post by anniebelle » 3 years ago

Harlequin wrote:
3 years ago
Cool article, to bad they can’t test me 😊. I’m not a 🐀. :shock: :lol: Ok A:...no laughing bobble heads.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
2 x

RS

Post by RS » 3 years ago

Harlequin wrote:
3 years ago
Uhmmm....well....every one of us here has “taken the bait”...so are we not? 😳
3 x